CrazyBoards.org

notcompletely lost, just wandered off the path...

hi, not sure what i should or shouldn't say so i'll just hope for the best(apologies if bit muddled) im 23 and over 10 years have been diagnosed with ptsd from childhood abuse blah blah.. clinicly depressed, any one know diff to just being depressed? both feel just as cruddy !! had a complete mental breakdown, 300mg a day of venlafaxine (efexor) and diazepam 2mg as prn. quite frustrating as have had two major depressive periods and one not so heavy, anyway you'd think someone might've realised, obviuosly not right for me but u know yourselves i'm sure, nothing gets sorted unless you do something yourself. mental health, millions suffer yet still such a taboo.. what do u think?

have been withdrawing from AD for 5 weeks now and god i feel like ive gone cold turkey at times but only 3 weeks to go till start duluxetine. would really appreciate if any one can share how they have found duluxetine? be much more useful than some medics view.. thanks. changing as my symptoms include, extreme fatigue, insomnia, very low motivation, like my brain goes into limited stanby mode, have to repeat tasks ova in order in my head otherwise i could stand there staring at the cooker for hours not havin a clue where to start! feel sorry for my little ones putting up with anything less than they deserve mostly. am awaiting CBT at mo, yep on that oh so well known waiting list lol!!done enough counnselling/talking ova the years, now i just wanna pro-actively change whether i have to be taken to bits first.. thanks for reading. think we all do amazing insuch adversity and little concrete knowledge known by "proffessionals" ..

Welcome, saliferous.

duloxetine, aka Cymbalta in the US and Yentreve in Europe is a cousin drug to Effexor. for some people, one works, and the other doesn't, despite the fact that they both help flood your brain with both serotonin and norepinephrine (and dopamine, if you're on very high doses of Effexor).

some differences are due to metabolism of the drug (your liver will vary). I found that duloxetine really helped with my "rejection sensitivity" issues (i.e., feeling down due to being dissed). Although, I've never been on Effexor, so I've got no comparison.

my brain also seems to be on standby all the time as well. I have been helped by a morning stimulant (used to be Provigil/modafinil, is now FocalinXR/dexmethylphenidate) and an evening knock-out (Dalmane). I don't know of one depressive or bipolar who doesn't have sleep issues, so sleep therapy (sleep hygeine practices) and sleep/wake meds are something you should talk to your pdoc about.

Also with the brain standby thing, you might want to talk to your doctor about inattentive ADD, which is a major problem I have.

before i read the other posts, i was going exactly where herrfous went- towards ADD (inattentive). i have that and it sounds like you have some symptoms of it. it happens in adults too, but must have existed since childhood and been undetected. it is sometimes hard to detect. many people go through life not knowing it. my dad was DXed at 46! i was 27, now 28 and on Adderall!

have your pdoc screen you for it.

also, as he said, your meds may need to be adjusted. mine are adjusted constantly. i think i'm on the right ones at the right doses now, but it has taken YEARS. you can't expect them to work perfectly very early in your treatment. it can and often does take years.

well, i hope that helps.

loon

thank u so much, i greatly appreciate your feedback and advice.. i most certainly will speak with my pdoc about inattentive ADD when i see him in 2 weeks, again thank u. am down to 37.5mg (from 300mg) now, feeling quite odd but stunnned i have managed it this far. kinda knowing it is only cos' i have a "crutch" waiting for me at the end though (new meds). no way otherwise! not ready for complete go alone..

comming off effexor SUCKS. i think i went down on effexor and up on cymbalta at the same time once my effexor dose was low enough. there's also the prozac taper method where you take a low dose of prozac when you're taking that last step off to stop the brain zaps. going on cymbalta right after will probably prevent the zaps though.

Archived