CrazyBoards.org

Messy rooms and order.

Does anyone have ordering type obsessions and compulsions but still have a messy room? I'm just really trying to figure some stuff out right now.

My room in general is a mess but there are things in my life that need to be a certain way- my blankets, the things in my bathroom, my pens. Depending on the severity of my issues, it can extend to a lot of different things- the way I put my shoes down. [And nobody is allowed to touch them!] Once I find a certain way of arranging things, it's calming and comforting and if it is out of order it is disruptive.

But generally, my room is a mess and there are things that I really don't care about.

I was just wondering if anyone experienced this sort of thing. I don't know that it makes sense.

I mean, I'll stop to straighten the fringe of the rug for several minutes but my clothes are piling up in the corner because I can't get around to folding them correctly.

I'm confused. And not really wanting to ask questions but I probably should. I don't like talking about this stuff.

i have things i'm compulsive about and things i'm not... i will let more pile up than i'm comfy with, too, just being too frazzled to freaking well finish what i'm doing.

things i go nuts about: spices being in the right order on the spice rack, dishes put correctly both in the dishwasher and the cupboards, fridge being clean, sink being empty, stove being clean, laundry folded correctly, carpets vacuumed....

things i let slide: making the bed, hanging up coats, straightening on top of all the desks, books piling up on the bookcase until i get annoyed and alphabetize them.

abi

I wrote this on my thread this morning. I need the beds straightened every day. That's it, the whole rest of the room/house is going to hell, but the comforters are smooth. I simply cannot stand to crawl into a bed where the covers are messed up.

I have less/little of that in the house, it's my studio where it really shows up. I have a small box of particular supplies that are kept neatly lined up. Meanwhile, my desk around it is about to avalanche from all the junk piled up. Similar things likt that occurring in every room. I think it's that I'm placing a value on a particular thing, and I care more about it, and place emphasis on maintaining an obsessive neatness about it. Does that make sense at all?

I also have a thing for the bathroom rugs around the toilet. Gotta be lined up perfectly.

The mess has to have order. It's structured chaos and the order is known only to me because it's my mess. The gf is the same way. We each have our own corners of mess. The three foot pile that has rendered the chair in the living room unusable is hers. If I try and clean or organize it ,it totally screws it up so unless I'm going to catalog and index everything I don't touch it as moving it would render it just as useless as if I were to throw it away and I think there is tax stuff in there.

Rabbit: Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night, make the bed, and then go back to bed. I can't sleep knowing that the covers are uneven.

Rabbit: Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night, make the bed, and then go back to bed. I can't sleep knowing that the covers are uneven.

hah

I use to re-make the bed when X went to the bathroom

I sleep very still. I can climb out of bed in the morning (when husband is asleep on the sofa due to snoring), and it hardly looks like it's been slept in.

ditto. lol. mynate tucks the littles in every night and he has to make sure all the covers are just so. we wake up whenever we roll over and re-do the covers over us. we also wake up throughout the night to straighten the covers over ournate.

abi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spittykitty

I just found these forums half an hour ago and I'm amazed at how many posts I've read that are as if I wrote them myself.

People have always joked with me that I'm OCD. I always laughed and said no, I'm just like things the way I like things. I never thought of myself as obsessive compulsive.

Right now the house is unvacuumed, some dishes are on the bench and there's washing that hasn't been done. My husbands work clothes are on the floor in the bedroom and the garbage bag is full.

But... my books are all in height order. Don't mix them up! If the bed isn't made in the morning it irritates the hell out of me. I must have my clothes in order, and they need to be on the same kind of hangers. The towels in the bathroom must match - god help my husband if he mixes up the colours. The dark coloured pillowcases go on the top only. Don't mix up my alphabetised CD's or I will hunt you down. At work my desk is immaculate. If the person who sits next to me puts their papers on my desk then I put them on the floor. Don't touch my tidy desk. The cubby holes for everyone's mail gets 'fixed' regularly as the cubbyholes just get too messy. I don't like it. If hubbie puts an empty beer can on the coffee table it MUST go in the garbage bag immediately. (So often I've taken a can that he hasn't finished and he's like WTF? Give me that back!)

I could go on... but you get my drift. OCD? I'm thinking so. I also have depression and anxiety (on meds for that) and have compulsive skin picking that I've never spoken about. It does all seem rather related doesn't it.

• 3 weeks later...

mess is allowed in one place. all else must be in order.

one big mess in one place is ok. (plus my car. my car is always disgusting.)

I'm the opposite almost-- my car is my clean, clean, tidy haven. I'm a college student, as a general rule, we as a group don't have tidy cars. My roommates and I had to roadtrip home (NY and VT) from GA where we go to school for spring break since flights were all cancelled due to weather, and it was SO HARD to not drive them nuts with my 'system' for where things go in the car. We joke about it, but I didn't really realize how attached I am to these orders until I was in a car for 20 hours with people who didn't know them. I drove back down to GA with my mom and she was honestly a little worried by the time we finished the 20something hours of driving because I have a system for everything and am pretty uptight about changing it.

I mostly get like this when I'm upset or trying to avoid depression, it hasn't interfered to the point where I've mentioned it to a doctor, but those two roadtrips were sort of an "aha, I think I might have a problem" thing for me. I feel stupid for having these dumb-seeming needs, but sometimes things will just catch my eye and I can't let it go until I've fixed it. AHH. this is the first time that I've come into this community and you all sound so familiar. maybe I should mention it to the pdoc? but I feel like he's gonna have enough on his plate to stamp out this depression?

huh.

• 2 weeks later...

my room is a TOTAL mess but my bathroom has to be tidy and clean and things in certain places. it annoys the hell outta me if someone moves them ( which is hard as i live with 4 other ppl).also the kitchen at work and the stock cages have to be perfect and i get bad anxiety at work because of this. but yes, my room is a mess xx

Does anyone have ordering type obsessions and compulsions but still have a messy room?

Yeps, I do.

Generally pretty messy here. But... if I do certain things they MUST be done in a certain way. Towels must be folded perfectly or I will fold and refold until it is right. The corners must match evenly and there must be no lumps anywhere. I hardly ever make the bed, but when I DO, I must strip the bed completely first and start from scratch. The sheet must be put on with both sides being perfectly even. It must be tucked in a certain way and the top where the pillows go must be dead straight and not a diagonal in any way and no lumps. If it's not perfect I feel irritated and have to start again. Kinda weird when I sleep in a messy bed 99% of the time, the odd occasion that I do make the bed it must be done perfectly.

Before I had a dishwasher, dirty dishes would stack upon the sink. When I DID do them, they had to be perfectly clean. If there was even a spot of food still there I had to put it back in and wash it again.

I think with me I'm a messy person because I find it so hard to live up to my own perfectionist expectations of myself, things must be done to perfection or don't do it at all.

Does anyone have ordering type obsessions and compulsions but still have a messy room? I'm just really trying to figure some stuff out right now.

My room in general is a mess but there are things in my life that need to be a certain way- my blankets, the things in my bathroom, my pens. Depending on the severity of my issues, it can extend to a lot of different things- the way I put my shoes down. [And nobody is allowed to touch them!] Once I find a certain way of arranging things, it's calming and comforting and if it is out of order it is disruptive.

But generally, my room is a mess and there are things that I really don't care about.

I was just wondering if anyone experienced this sort of thing. I don't know that it makes sense.

I mean, I'll stop to straighten the fringe of the rug for several minutes but my clothes are piling up in the corner because I can't get around to folding them correctly.

I'm not a jealth care professional either, but I have a theory about OCD and mania vs. depression. I'm wondering if OCD is akin to mania because when I'm manic, my world is in near perfect order. My house, my bills, my schedule, you name it. I love order too. I'll make lists and lists to organize things in my mind and plan and plan. It's like I'm on speed and having a great time with all this ordering that makes me feel so much calmer when I'm done. HOWEVER, I've just learned lately about something called "manic stupor" cause I experienced it. I wanted and NEEDED to do so many "ordering" things so I would feel calmer, but I just couldn't get with it. I was frozen about it. It was very unerving cause I really wanted to do these things BAD, but at the same time I didn't give a shit about it either. I really hated that. Very shitty state. I sat through three green lights even though I really WANTED to press on the gas. That's how bad it eventually got before I screamed (literally) at my doc to fix this thing! That was w3hen she decided I was on too much Lamictal. I'm muuuucccchhh bbeetterrrr nnoowww. Really..I am ;)

I have had counting-type OCD since I was a kid. I remember when I was 6 or so, counting the syllables to song lyrics by touching my tongue to the roof of my mouth, over and over (repeating lines) until it felt just right. And in school, when it was locker and desk clean out day, I never had anything to do, because my desk and locker were always perfect. But if you followed me home and looked in my room, WHEW, different story there. I think I forgot there was a floor there for a while. My room now is still a mess. I've got a pile of clothes that I move from the computer chair to the bed, every day, and they never get folded or hung up. But I have certain things that have to be in order. Labels on things have to be facing perfectly frontwards, for a while it was the perfection of the towels in the bathroom, then doing the dishes, now taking a shower is really exhausting, etc. So you're not alone, I don't understand it either. Go figure....

• 3 months later...
Guest BadKitty

I have figured out why I have the OCD symptoms. My adhd caused me to do things in a certain order so that I could stay focused and finish things. (I was 33 years old before I was diagnosed) The drawback to this is that I have to do things in a certain manner. If I don't have time or can't find the beginning of how to start something, I just can't do it. It makes me very anxious and embarrassed, and I won't have people over. (even tho I know my house isn't that messy compared to most) The bad part is that once it gets to be really messy, I really can't deal with it and it gets worse and worse. Anyone else feel like they can't find the starting point so you don't start?

I need the beds straightened every day. That's it, the whole rest of the room/house is going to hell, but the comforters are smooth. I simply cannot stand to crawl into a bed where the covers are messed up.

Me too...I can't stand to walk into a room and see an unmade bed. I also don't like clutter/mess, but I can handle it as LONG as my bed is made.

Archived