CrazyBoards.org

I have been off work almost 4 weeks now due to my depression making a comeback.Any way my point is only my wife and mother know this. How do I confer my feelings to them to make them understand why I cannot go to work right now. I am able to get up in the morning eat,dress,bathe myself, I can carry on a reasonable conversation, but cannot face the work day.I think they look at me and wonder what feelings are keeping me from going to work. I should mention that I work at a fairly stressful job and something inside just says to me, you cannot subject yourself to work today stay home come hell or highwater. My wife thinks its my medication stealing away my motivation. I dunno. I just feel that going to work some days would lead to a possible meltdown emotionally, I dont what would happen if I did and that scares me. Anyway I pretty well have to go back soon as money is getting tight, I've run out of company sick days. Any suggestions on what I might say to them would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Rico,

I'm sorry you're in such a terrible spot and really feel for you about the work dilemma. You don't say what size business you work for or what state you're in. Does your company have any kind of leave policy? Could you apply for short term disability and do some intensive therapy during your time off? Is there someone you can talk with at work regarding being reassigned to a different, less stressful, position for the time being or even permanently?

I know how scary it all is. For months I didn't know if I would be able to keep working, but it also seemed that having the structure of going to work everyday was many days the only thing that got me out of bed and kept me going. As hard as it is to deal with these kinds of decisions while you're depressed, I urge you to make the effort to try to manage this situation and find some options. Please don't just let the employment clock run out and let inaction steal all your options from you.

Your wife and mother cannot solve this problem for you. Please talk to your doc, who needs to know what's going on and how bad things have gotten.

Check back in and let us know how you're doing.

Greeny

Hey sorry to hear about your situation, how is your realtionship with your boss, i faced a similar situation, and I have a great realtionship with my boss, which is lucky, but i found hiding my issuses was causing more stress and making things worse but after talking to him he was really helpfull figuring ways to cut down stress, and finding ways for me to get extra sick days and theres been a 180 when i have a bad day hes more understanding, maybe if this is an option try it out or if its a large coraption perhaps they have a leave of absence like was suggested, good luck man i feel for you.

Fruitopia_pop

• 4 weeks later...
Guest depeche mode

I had a lot of time off from work for just not bieng able to face it. I made up all different excuses and ended up getting a written warning. I told my boss the truth and i would never have thought she would be so understanding, i thought it would be really hard to tell her but when i started it was easy. She has helped me out a lot and for months i was keeping it to myself and getting myself into trouble. Just go in and tell them straight honest its easier than you think good luck xxx

Archived