CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone else out there been diagnosed with Nonverbal Learning Disability?  I had a neuropsych workup that indicated that was probably my central issue (32 point discrepancy between verbal and non-verbal IQ).  The disorder is similar to Asberger's Syndrome but has a slightly different presentation.  In my case it may have been instigated or exacerbated by three head injures, a bout with scarlet fever and repeated bouts with strep throat but that's kind of beside the point.

I'm just kind of looking to see if there's anyone else out there who is struggling with this one.

I have heard of NVLD.  I do not believe that it is a PDD (pervasive developmental disorder) like Asperger Syndrome.

I have heard that ADD is sometimes diagnosed in people with NVLD.  This is according to a PhD-level licensed clinical psychologist named Roland Rotz. But I warn you----Dr. Rotz specializes in ADHD and LD, and some strategies for ADD in adults include chewing gum, sucking on hard candy, rubbing Silkies, spices like ginger in foods, doodling, playing a musical instrument while you study.

I do not know much about NVLD.

For what it's worth, some straightforward comparisons of Asperger's and NVLD (or NLD)  can be found on the Oasis site.  More NVLD resources are available at http://www.nldline.com/, including other comparative literature.  Summarized, the two syndromes present similarly, but are sufficiently divergent in their characteristics for two different names to pop up in neuropsych assessments.  As usual, I haven't a clue as to whether this actually means something.  I'm just a fool with a keyboard. 

GirlAnachronism, I haven't been diagnosed with NVLD or any other similar disorder.  I wish you luck in continuing to create ways of contending with the "real world" which work for you. 

Thank you both!  I will look into those resources.  And, my understanding is the same as yours, Bryan, that it is not a PDD, but may be related to some head injuries that I had as a child. 

As far as the real world goes... I keep hoping that if I ignore it long enough it will go away  B)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I really just tripped over this thread.  NLVD was not on my radar screen before, but now that I have explored the websites I feel like this might be an explanation for some things.  My discrepency between my verbal IQ and performance IQ is 36 points.  These results are from spring 2000 when I entered a therapeutic Level 5 school for the emotionally disturbed.  The psychologist said in her report that psychomotor retardation and anxiety may explain this gap.  I am pretty annoyed at her, because I can't see how those could account for all of it.  Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the resources.

Katie ;)

Thanks for replying.  The psychologist who did the testing was not involved in my treatment at all.  She was just doing the standard $1000 evaluation that helps determine if the student needs a placement at a therapeutic school.  Results showed that I was "seriously disturbed" and required the highest level of care.  She mentioned the 36 point discrepancy, but she brushed it aside because she was really focusing on the psychological issues.

She wasn't trying not to label me.  I already was diagnosed with Bipolar II, ADHD, GAD, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and OCD.  She was using the tests to back up my diagnoses and convince the county to pay $35,000 a year for my special education.  It turned out that the money came through before she tested me.

My psychiatrist who I have been seeing for 6 years told me today that the gap was clinically significant.  I was sharing my experiences as a child.  We had discussed it before, but now I was talking about things I never told her that I just realized were significant.  She said that she had suspected it all along, but now she was certain it was NLVD.

Katie ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been diagnosed with NVLD.

On looking over the links you supplied, I have an awful lot of the supposedly differential AS traits- abnormal, repetitive movements, odd interests, weird eating habits.

I'll stick with my preferred dx.

Hey, I was (mis?)diagnosed w/ NLD a few years ago..when I was 17, and I believe that outside factors (including medication regime) contributed to the gap. It is an interesting diagnosis..and it sucks how there seems to be so little support/understanding of it even among people who work with LD's. With me, they found a 30something point difference between verbal and performance..but since the nonverbal wasn't lower than normal, they just called it mild..

I do have directional problems and some spacial issues, but several people I have worked with who know me as a whole person- and the other issues I struggle with- strongly think I do not have NLD.

Anyway..sorry that this response probably isn't much help, since I don't think I have the condition-- However, I did do a lot of reading on it and understand the symptoms, and think there are some overlaps between what I am dealing w/ (adhd and other stuff) and NLD... again, it totally sucks how so few people know about NLD! I will let you know if I have the links to any other NLD sites, book recommendations, etc..I believe NLD inline links to a lot of stuff??

Anyway, best wishes, and please try to find good support for this and people who understand and can help you with strategies.

• 1 year later...

Hi there

I have child who is NLVD. They have also said she may end up bipolor. Currently she is also ADHD, ODD, Depression too. However I see the NLVD as what the problem really is. I hope u found the answers you were looking for if not post and lets chat

;)

Archived