CrazyBoards.org

Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective with sensory sensitivity

this isn't an "official" explaination--its just my own psychobabble but I tend to think that I'm sensory sensitive when my schizoaffective disorder is acting up because I have so much stimulation already coming from inside of my head (aka hallucinations, delusions, etc) that any additional sensory stimulation just puts me over the edge. When I was in the hospital during the winter of '06 they had to literally take away all sensory stimulation (aka no pictures on the walls, no clothes besides hospital gowns, no music, no television, etc) and I had to slowly be reintroduced to those things as my mental health improved. I really think if they had tried to improve my mental health while still exposing me to a bunch of sensory stimulation I would not have gotten better.

So I hope that helps some...

Shana

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I finally got around to doing a little actual research on this topic and here is what I found... it is just an abstract but if you have time to find the actual article I've included the citation so that you can go find it.

Conflicting research findings suggest that individuals with schizophrenia are both supersensitive and overinhibitory. The coexistence of supersensitivity and overinhibition in schizophrenia was studied using the Adult Sensory Profile as a measure of Dunn's model of sensory processing. The four quadrant model describes sensory sensitivity, sensation avoiding, poor registration and sensation seeking as possible behavioral responses to sensation. Methods: The reliability and validity of the Adult Sensory Profile were examined. Based on the findings, some items were revised. Individuals with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and no mental illness were compared using the Adult Sensory Profile. Skin conductance measures were obtained to support the validity of the Adult Sensory Profile. Results: Poor registration and sensation avoidance were most characteristic of schizophrenia. Bipolar disorder was similar to schizophrenia with less poor registration, while the mentally healthy group was most distinguished by sensation seeking. The skin conductance data supported the four quadrant model as distinct concepts. Discussion: The Adult Sensory Profile provides a new framework for understanding sensory processing. According to the findings of this study, individuals with schizophrenia tend to miss available sensory stimuli. When stimuli are detected, it is often avoided. This suggests that rehabilitation strategies must carefully consider the need to simultaneously emphasize salient information, while removing unnecessary stimuli. (PsycINFO Database Record © 2006 APA, all rights reserved)

Author(s): Brown, Catana Elizabeth, U Kansas, US

Source: Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering, Vol 60(8-B), Mar 2000. pp. 4204.

Publisher: US: ProQuest Information & Learning

ISSN: 0419-4217 (Print)

Order Number: AAI9941615

Language: English

Archived