CrazyBoards.org

remeron / mirtazapine withdrawal - timespan

Hi all,

after being on mirtazapine for 3 months, reduced from 30mg per night, to 15mg per night, over a period of a month; then 15mg every other night for a fortnight - I've learn by experience to take things slowly when withdraw from ADs, otherwise I get SEVERE agitation, nausea, etc., etc..

Last dose 24th feb. (more than 1 1/2 weeks ago now), but still having moderate agitation (DH is the best - just bought me a mini trampoleen to try & help!); I'm also have having problems with temperature regulation - get too hot & I go frantic; I find that codeine & lyrica take the edge off it. All like when I was coming off amitriptyline.

Any ideas if this might still be due to withdrawal?

appreciate any feedback

It's possible, but it shouldn't be. Remeron is one of the few crazy meds that you don't usually need to titrate (up or down) with... especially at lower doses (30 mg is less than the typical therapeutic dose). It's more likely that your symptoms are the return of depression or psychosomatic (could the anxiety be from knowing you are off the med?).

It's possible, but it shouldn't be. Remeron is one of the few crazy meds that you don't usually need to titrate (up or down) with... especially at lower doses (30 mg is less than the typical therapeutic dose). It's more likely that your symptoms are the return of depression or psychosomatic (could the anxiety be from knowing you are off the med?).

thanks for your comments Sunshine.

I did try just stoping remeron (as it was a relatively small dose), but didn't sleep a single wink for 3 nights & sank into catatonic depression, which is why I reduced gradually (I asked the GP & pdoc about the possible effects of coming off it, who both advised gradually reducing the dose or frequency).

I stopped it as I found it didn't seem to help the depression - if anything made it worse. It also induced wicked mania - I was glad to be off it, so I don't think that it's anxiety from being off the med. I do have GAD anyway - maybe it's anxiety, as you suggest, though: I was very recently put on Depakote to control my usual hypomania + depression, which I was worried about, as I knew it would be likely to agravate my stomach problems - I've also had to stop, due to these. I'll try going back on Lyrica, whilst I'm not taking Depakote, as this can help my GAD - thanks for reminding me about this possibility!

NB - since I stopped remeron (less than 2 weeks), I've lost 8 lbs: it obviously caused LOTS of fluid retention - much of the time my ankles & feet were swollen so much that I couldn't get my shoes on, & it was so painful walking down the stairs in the morning. Very glad to be off it! ;)

cheers

• 2 years later...
Guest stephanie

Hi all,

after being on mirtazapine for 3 months, reduced from 30mg per night, to 15mg per night, over a period of a month; then 15mg every other night for a fortnight - I've learn by experience to take things slowly when withdraw from ADs, otherwise I get SEVERE agitation, nausea, etc., etc..

Last dose 24th feb. (more than 1 1/2 weeks ago now), but still having moderate agitation (DH is the best - just bought me a mini trampoleen to try & help!); I'm also have having problems with temperature regulation - get too hot & I go frantic; I find that codeine & lyrica take the edge off it. All like when I was coming off amitriptyline.

appreciate any feedback

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

appreciate any feedback

Hi Stephanie, how is did the tapering of remeron go? I too have been taking it for 3 months and I am starting the journing to quiting remeron. I started taking it after having a baby and started suffering from insomnia/depression. I have reduced my dosage from 30mg to 15mg, and want to make the big leap to no more remeron. I am just scared to suffer from insomnia again. Just need some support!

Lesley, this is a pretty old thread, so the people who posted on it may not reply.

Why do you want to discontinue Remeron?

Thanks for the support, I guess I want to stop remeron because I have shame in taking medications? I don't know why that is but I am judging myself. I know others that have taken antidepressants and I have never thought any less of them. I am being pretty hard on myself. I have been on remeron for three months and I want to stop now rather than wait another six months because I will be going back to work in april 2010.

Right now I am trying to remain positive and live in the moment and enjoy my children. I am scared to suffer insomnia again. I have to remind myself it is temporary, and I have managed to come down from 30mg and 15mg in two weeks.

Anyone have any suggestions on tapering off? I asked my doctor for help and he was only willing to fill my prescription. Man, it seems doctors are quick to give you drugs and not help with the support to stop taking them.

Thanks again for responding I really need the support,

Hi Lesley, I'm the opposite... would never get a night's sleep without remeron, which would sure cause a problem for me in maintaining any type of employment. However, if you've made the decision to stop it and want to taper off...go with 15mg every other night for a few days, then every 3rd night for a few, then go 4, etc. if you want a gradual tapering off. I've no plans to stop taking remeron myself, but am currently tapering off zoloft in this manner, and as others have mentioned, you can always take it again if needed.

Thank you Lavender. I am like you I am scared that I will not be able to sleep without remeron, and with two young kids I need some sleep. I am currently at 15mg and have noticed that my appetite is much lower than at 30mg and I have some extra anxiety but I think that is because I am anxious to off medications. I guess I am scared to make the big leap to not taking anything. Is there any slower methods of tapering say at 7.5mg? I heard that the lower doses are more sedating. I guess I want to do a slow taper and watch how I feel and see how my body manages the adjustment.

Sure, you could cut the pills (30mg cut into quarters, 15mg cut in half) and just see how you respond. I've been cutting 100mg zoloft into quarters lately...the doc gave me an Rx for 25mg's to make things easier, but I'll probably stick with what I'm doing. I use a strong paring knife to cut 'em up.

Thanks for the support, I guess I want to stop remeron because I have shame in taking medications? I don't know why that is but I am judging myself. I know others that have taken antidepressants and I have never thought any less of them. I am being pretty hard on myself.

Sorry about the shame thing. I think we all tend to be harder on ourselves than we are on others.

Are you in therapy? That might help you enough to not need medication, although it's not enough for most of us here.

Thanks Lavender;

Good Luck with your weaning off Zoloft. Sometime just having a plan on how to taper off and a little support helps you with the end result. Also, your doctor sounds supportive in your process. I kind of prefer the slower pace since I have a 3 year and 6 month old baby to take care of. I have 30 mg pills that split easy into 15mg but not so much into 7.5mg. I will wait a little longer at the 15mg and see how it goes.

I appreciate all the responses since I have felt like nobody around me understands the challenges of stoping medications.

Thanks for the support, I guess I want to stop remeron because I have shame in taking medications? I don't know why that is but I am judging myself. I know others that have taken antidepressants and I have never thought any less of them. I am being pretty hard on myself.

Sorry about the shame thing. I think we all tend to be harder on ourselves than we are on others.

Are you in therapy? That might help you enough to not need medication, although it's not enough for most of us here.

Thank you, I have went to a therapist a few times, and it has helped. I have another appointment on November 23 but I think it is the last. The therapist want to pass me on to my family doctor. My problem all started with insomnia when my baby turned two months old. I got so agitated about sleep that I could not sleep without medications. I guess I had suffered a mommy burnout. But now I am feeling 100% and just ashamed of myself, and scared to be that seriously sleep deprivated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been on Remeron for 9 months. I want to go off. I tried stopping all together for 2 days in a row, and found now I am crying, argumentative, and agitated. So I took Remeron again for 2 days and did not last night. I woke up this morning though, agitated and crying again. Originally, I started Remeron not so much because of depression, but because of anxiety, agitation, aggression. Remeron helped calm me down tremendously and has had a positive effect on my relationships. But, I am so tired of sleeping so much, and spending every morning feeling dizzy and slow as if I have taken a sleeping pill. I don't want to stay on Remeron forever, and I hope that I am not just a different (more calm rather than anxious and irritable) person solely because of the drug. It is scary to have my personality change, and I don't know if going off the Remeron means withdrawal symptoms, or am I just back to what I was feeling before Remeron? Are withdrawal symptoms common? Anyone had any success going off Remeron? Any good advice out there?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been decreasing my dosage of remeron for a couple of months. From 30 mg to 22.5 to 15 to 7.5 to 3.75 and now none. I have tried quiting before without tapering and i could not sleep at all, I had really bad itching all over, hot spells, sweating, and blushing. I still suffered all these symptoms as I gradually reduced my dose this time but atleast it was manageable. This was not a return of symptoms because I had none of these symptoms before taking remeron. Personally, I am sick of taking pills, the side effects seem to pile up to the point where you are taking pills to treat the side effects of other pills. The insomnia eventually goes away (week or two) if you exercise, go to bed at the same time each night and dont take naps. I dont have the link but I have read in several places that Dr's who specialize in this recommend reducing dose by no more than 10% every two weeks. Remeron isnt available in that small of doses but you can be reasonably close by dividing 15mg into quarters. I have been on several other drugs including ativan, seroquel, xanax, paxil, zoloft and remeron is by far the worst to get off. So despite what others may say, for some people Remeron has very bad withdrawal effects. Being off medications is worth the trouble, as I now have a regular appetite again (not binges after taking remeron at night), sleep normally (not being knocked out for 10 hrs), and have energy during the day.

Seriously, if you search around the site here you'll find a lot of people, or at least a few reporting the Remeron is easier to come off of than almost any other pmed. I got off of 30mgs by doing two days 15 mgs and then stopping. No side effects, no brain zaps, and I had bezos to deal with any rebound anxiety.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AuntieKathryn

For anyone struggling with side effects on the lower doses I am thinking of using this method because ive experienced the severe withdrawal effects some people have described (not all of course) when i went from 7.5mg for 4 weeks to 0mg.

Such severe effects being: The relentless insomnia, extreme nausea, dysphoria (unshakeable feeling of doom) and of course the anxiety and panic attacks.

Is anyone sure you cant get a solution form of mirtazapine? Because I have been told by a UK psychiatrist you can.

I have been advised by this experienced psychiatrist friend of mine to do this slow withdrawal plan:

7.5mg for 4 weeks

7.5mg one day and 3.5mg the next alternating for 4 weeks

Then 3.5mg for 4 weeks

Then 3.5 one day and 0 the next alternating for 4 weeks

Then 0mg

I am hoping this might stop me from having the insomnia side effect as bad. It was the one effect of the withdrawal i really couldnt hack the first time.

Im going to put this into practice after christmas 2009 and if it works you will find me pasting this method all over the internet for people! There is a serious lack of useful information on the web, and loads that make you terrified when it shouldnt be terrifying it should reassure people without you having to pay £70-185 an hour to see a trained but inexperienced psychiatrist.

However, im very happy for people that are off the drug and are feeling normal, it gives me hope because the biggest mistake people sometimes make when coming off these medications is they think the withdrawal effects are their illness underneath the medication and due to the inexperience of most doctors they agree with you for you to go back on them and actually encourage you to.

It is clear from looking at these forums online that the effects of withdrawal from mirtazipine can be very severe for some people on the smaller doses and some people are not affected by it at all! I envy the latter group!!

Good luck everyone

Guest AuntieKathryn

Seriously, if you search around the site here you'll find a lot of people, or at least a few reporting the Remeron is easier to come off of than almost any other pmed. I got off of 30mgs by doing two days 15 mgs and then stopping. No side effects, no brain zaps, and I had bezos to deal with any rebound anxiety.

The benzos is probably the reason you didnt have effects. Although I too dont know what people mean by "brain zaps" but unlike you i had really bad withdrawal. I cant use benzos because i had to withdraw from those too using much the same method i describe above. The withdrawal from benzos was no way near as bad as the mirtazapine withdrawal. I hope to god youre not still using them. They are mega addictive.

I've been tapering off Remeron now for a few months and stopped taking it completely about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Sleep has been restless but also started getting the itchiness mentioned before. I'm glad to see I'm not crazy and someone else had it too. My doc of course said it is absolutely not related to going off meds. (Why do they always deny everything??!!) My doc is also the type who insists that I must stay on AD's for the rest of my life. I don't want to give in to that. Spoke to our pharmacist and told her about itchiness and right away she said it is because of the meds reduction and maybe I should go off more slowly and klonopin and benedryl can help. The other night I woke up unbearably itchy all over my whole body. I jumped out of bed and started running around the house as if I could exercise the itchiness out of me. Reminded me of years ago when I would wake with spontaneous panic attacks in the middle of the night and I would start running up and down the stairs to wear myself out. Took a Klonopin and immediately the itchiness went away and I was able to fall right back to sleep. The next day, was itchy again but not as bad so I tried Benedryl and that helped right away too. So I am going to go back to taking 7.5 mg of Remeron every other day for a week or so and then reduce to 3.75 mg and so on. I am also working with a homeopath taking remedies which seem to be helping. I haven't felt much of my anxiety return and none of my overwhelming dizzy spells which is why they originally put me on Remeron 7 years ago.