CrazyBoards.org

Tics?

Guest Guest_Alex_*

Guest Guest_Alex_*

Hi all,

Not sure where to put this. I've been experiencing "twitches" (a kind of involuntary shrug/jump and gasp - like if you tapped someone who was concentrating on the back and they got a fright - associated with a release of tension) since I applied for a limited-entry graduate course last year.

Features of my twitches:

1. Occur while suppressing intrusive thoughts

2. Uncontrollable

3. Embarrassing and ANNOYING!

4. Adult onset

I can't find information about this particular set of symptoms anywhere. Sure, there's stuff about Tourette's (childhood onset not met) and OCD (maybe a variant? But I don't believe that shrugging and gasping will stop negative future events happening exactly - unless you count the unwanted thought as the negative event), but not what I seem to have.

Does anyone have any ideas or stories? I feel really lonely in this at the moment - google, PSYCinfo and PubMed have all failed me!

Thanks,

Alex.

Guest Guest_Alex_*

Just to clarify - I said uncontrollable but they go away if I'm concentrating on something. Sometimes they appear following intrusive thoughts but sometimes they appear when there's time to relax following tension (e.g. the ad break of a TV drama). Sometimes they start by someone frightening me by tapping me on the back. Frequency: once they start, it's like the threshold lowers and they can come every few minutes for several hours. But then they might go away for a week.

I do that.

Tourette's and OCD are related and neither are really clearly defined and there's some overlap.

I read roadsigns aloud without knowing I'm doing it too.

Cymblata and topamax has it as under control as it's ever been.

Um. I'll try and say more once I've slept.

Hi all,

Not sure where to put this. I've been experiencing "twitches" (a kind of involuntary shrug/jump and gasp - like if you tapped someone who was concentrating on the back and they got a fright

- associated with a release of tension)

IMO it's the above

stress release

which doesn't help you any but that's just my opinion

• 2 months later...

i have a couple of tics. i clear my throat and cough (sounds more like a german shepherd barking than a person with a tic), and i scratch my head. i also "twitch" certain muscles. my dx is ocd, which probably explains it. i doubt you get tics with any other disorders, besides tourette's, which i don't have.

"Tics" are primarily defined as a voluntary movement that must be done over and over again for no practical reason. I suffer from many of them, and make sure that i'm not in view of others.... i'd look like a total freak! =P I have to do them over and over again until i get it "right". Bleh, hard to explain, but i'm sure that you understand.

• 1 month later...

Well tics are involuntary movements, movements (motor or vocal) that you can't control. I have tics, HFA, ADHD, OCD, who knows what caused it. All I know is that I have uncontrollable whole-body movements, jerks, eye twitches, head nods and shakes (both a stim and tic), and some palilalia (repeat my own words).

• 7 months later...

Well tics are involuntary movements, movements (motor or vocal) that you can't control. I have tics, HFA, ADHD, OCD, who knows what caused it. All I know is that I have uncontrollable whole-body movements, jerks, eye twitches, head nods and shakes (both a stim and tic), and some palilalia (repeat my own words).

hey dudes...I have OCD and I have been struggling with a bunch of tics for the past couple months. I haven't told any of the many docs I've got on my side yet, and I probably will. aside from meds, what do you all do to calm them (the tics) down...any suggestions? i just developed another one and they are getting really, really irritating.

being MI is such a bitch. (excuse my french). ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how to "calm them down" but I do know you can learn to hold them in. When you're able to do that you can walk away from a situation and go to the bathroom for a second to relieve them. If I come up with something better I'll let you know, sorry.

I'm not sure how to "calm them down" but I do know you can learn to hold them in. When you're able to do that you can walk away from a situation and go to the bathroom for a second to relieve them. If I come up with something better I'll let you know, sorry.

thanks!

• 3 months later...

I have tics and OCD too! They started when I was a teenager, so it's tic-nos. I have body and vocal tics, and they really sort of are on a sliding scale with compulsions. Sometimes with very simple compulsions it is hard to tell when it is a compulsion or a tic.

Low dose of Imipramine (20-30 mg) really helped me. They wanted to put me on Risperdal but I was too scared of it. Also helpful is getting a massage, or deep breathing, or displacing onto other simple compulsions that are more socially acceptable (I pick at scalp or lips (see the dermatillomania thread), which I think is seen better than constant head shaking). Being in a relaxed position helps. I also sometimes just disguise them as other kinds of head or body movements, or when I want to vocally tic, I just say something instead.

Archived