CrazyBoards.org

Zypexa for anxiety, depression and insomnia?

So my docter is keen to try Zyprexa because I've been having ongoing issues with depression, anxiety and insomnia. I went there wanting an antianxiety medication like Valium but he wants me to use Zyprexa because it's not addictive and all the good anxiety and insomnia medications are. He also thinks it would be a good idea for my depression as it hasn't respended adequetely to Effexor, Remeron, Celexa or talk therapy. What do you guys think? Is it too soon to go off label when I've only tried 3 antidepressants? Will it help with all three problems? Have you used it/What was your experience like?

Are you aware of the whole messing with blood sugar/ making you hella fat aspects of Zyprexa? I would seriously think twice. You haven't tried enough meds to resort to a drug with such potentially serious side effects. From what I know its most common off label use is for acute mania (right?) If you are going to go off label I would do something like Lamictal. That's what I'm doing. But it probably won't help with your anxiety or insomnia, just the depression. If you have serious insomnia and anxiety issues a benzo would probably be a good choice. Maybe you should get a second opinion about your meds.

On the other hand, there is a chance that Zyprexa would take care of all three problems. But I would say it should only be used for life-threatening emergencies. Maybe there is another AP that would help?

Well I saw my doctor yesterday and he gave me a Zyprexa sample pack of 7X5mg capsules. I was a bit hesitant to try it but neither my psychiatrist or doctor will give me any decent sleeping pills or chill pills due to their addictive qualities. If zyprexa fucks me up I can stop taking it and try something else. I feel fine so far. Wish me luck lol.

It's da bomb for insomnia, like WZ says, and it knocked my mania on its ass inside 12 hours. Can't comment on depression or anxiety, but there's a big but... on the big Z I felt fantastic - in control, alert, more functional than you would believe: I really was on the top of my game. BUT, and Loon will back me up on this, you can't stop taking the stuff. The insomnia is back inside 24 hours, along with agitation, stress, restlessness, feeling jumpy. After a year on 5-10mg, it's taken me two and a half months to get back to close to normal without it.

here are a few things about Z to consider-

i have a schizophrenic friend who was a part of a class action lawsuit where they won tons of money because Z gave them diabetes

i took Z for a couple of months and went from 120lbs to 155-160lbs, and my blood sugar went up a lot

it is very well known that Z will cause weight gain like no tomorrow and maybe diabetes. if you're schizophrenic and have hard-core issues and this is all that will work, or you need to come out of whatever bipolar state you're in so you can think right about what is going on, then take it short-term. but don't risk it long term. and to me, only take it in emergencies and if you are a part of these groups.

if you want to calm yourself down, get relief from insomnia and depression, then look at other drugs, not Z. Z is WAY overkill for what you're talking about. it is like nuking a peanut.

go with the SSRI class. or go with klonopin and an antidepressent. i know you/your doc want to stay away from potentially addictive substances, however klonopin is a rather low risk and does wonders for a lot of people. a lot of people would not be on this board today if it wasn't for klonopin. they'd either be dead or too anxious to do anything but be anxious. i know it turned my life around and helped me quite a bit.

i've had bipolar disorder, with its ups and downs, since i was 7 and i'm 28. i KNOW how it feels to go through trial after trial of medication. however, you need to realize that it will take awhile to find what works. research is your key to understanding what you're putting into your body.

i'd think long and hard about going near Z. i LOVE how it works, but don't take it for MANY reasons.

My pdoc says that I'm on Seroquel for the anti-anxiety and anti-depression benefits in addition to its anti-manic benefits. I think it works great. Not to mention the fact that it is GREAT for my insomnia. I mean, I was a lifelong sufferer with insomnia...horrible, horrible. And now I am a good sleeper, every night. Now, I get about 9 hours a night unless I drag myself out of bed, ha ha.

Anyway, Seroquel is much better in terms of weight gain than Zyprexa. I'm not going to say that it's perfect, it's not. But way better than Z. And not as bad a risk for diabetes and all that. And I haven't heard of problems coming off it.

Anyway, just my two cents...I know no drug is perfect. Some will have bad stories, I guess.

Thank you for your replies. I'm in two minds on this issue. On one hand I had severe suicidal depression that didn't respond to celexa, effexor or remeron along with 24/7 anxiety and trouble sleeping every night and zyprexa could relieve all 3 conditions with 1 pill. weight gain doesn't scare me. im 16 years old and 140 lbs and i was actually underweight a little while ago. my doctors refuse to prescribe me any benzodiazepine or other addictive drug. they just let me suffer and i can't stand it. its torture. i've tried to talk multiple doctors into giving me ambien (zolpidem) or another sleeping med. it took me ages to find a doctor and say the right thing to get a bottle of valium. i need long-term relief from my insomnia and anxiety. zyprexa is what the doctor wants and it feels like its working so far. Loon-A-TiK if it were up to me i would take ur advice and start klonopin for sleep and anxiety but the doctors won't give that to me =[ ugh idk what to do anymore.. what issues should i raise with my doctor? what r the key points in the klonopin-vs-zyprexa argument?

While I really don't agree with this, I suspect your age has a lot to do with it. DD's PDoc was extremely resistant to prescribing anything addictive or that could be used to get a "high". I understand the issue regarding law suits (I am aware of a couple that are pending now, dealing with teens, where the parents are accusing the doctor of prescribing certain types of drugs too carelessly or liberally. You know, it ticks me off because you read all the time how AAP's are being given like antibiotics to young kids now......o.k., so what are "those" drugs doing to their little minds?

DD was on Klonopin at 17 but it took an act of Congress and basically my agreeing to dispense the drug to get him to prescribe it for her.

Good luck....you are very well spoken and quite informed for a person of your age.

Yeah, maybe your age is the issue. I don't know why they wouldn't tell you that.

I was concerned about the dependency risk with both Klonopin and Ativan and told by my pdoc that it would take a lot of either to cause that situation. So not to worry, according to him.

they both help me incredibly with sleep and anxiety. Depression too, but it's more a bandaid for that. Lamictal is the one for that in my case.

I don't know about Zyprexa except that it caused dangerous dizziness in my son and he was quickly switched to Serequel. His was for serious psychosis, though, not sleep/anxiety, so he was on very high doses.

Well I was prescribed Valium before but it was given to me under the conditions that it was for short term use only and the doctor prescribed 2mg tablets which are weak as SHIT! I had to take 5 a day to effectively quell the anxiety. I doubt any doctor would want to prescribe me a benzodiazepine as a long-term solution. I'm liking the Zyprexa's effect so far. It's not a stoned/chilled out feeling like Valium gave me and it hasn't completely eliminated my anxiety (i still shake and have gotten that can't breath feeling everyday) but I do feel a little calmer and a lot less depressed. I also slept last night WITHOUT REMERON :-o which is a big deal for me.

• 3 years later...
Guest dawn

Well I saw my doctor yesterday and he gave me a Zyprexa sample pack of 7X5mg capsules. I was a bit hesitant to try it but neither my psychiatrist or doctor will give me any decent sleeping pills or chill pills due to their addictive qualities. If zyprexa fucks me up I can stop taking it and try something else. I feel fine so far. Wish me luck lol.

Guest Dawn

Have you trid Trazodone? I've ben on it for at least 15 years and it helps alot! I am also on Paroxetine (Paxil). The two work out very well.

Zyprexa does nothing for me besides make me restless and fat. When I was put on it as a teen I gained over 100 pounds that I've never been able to lose. With that said, I was also on Seroquel at the time, too. I stopped it when my psychiatrist said enough was enough but by then the damage was done. I still have to take it as PRN when I'm in hospital which is fucking annoying. 

However, my experiences aren't the norm. I've had adverse reactions (restlessness/agitation, seizures, dystonia etc) to most of the medication I've taken, even Valium which made me restless and agitated. 

Archived