CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone know exacty what it means when you have an adjustment disorder? I've seen that written in my medical records without any explanation. To me it would mean that I have a really hard time getting over past hurts. But I suspect there is more to it than that.

Has anyone here been dx'd with an adjustment disorder?

Adjustment Dx is a category of its own. It is not a PD, an anxiety Dx, or an affective (mood) Dx. It can be specified by predominent symptoms (e.g. depression, anxiety) as were listed on the page that Strungout directed you to. Adjustment disorder requires the presence of an identifiable psychosocial stressor. And once the stressor or it's consequences has terminated the symptoms do not persist past six months.

FYI, I have a friend and an adopted mother (in the sense of the people we chose to make up our family) who is a clinical psychologist. She once told me that in many instances that an Adjustment Dx was often the only Dx she could report to insurance companies to have a patients treatment acceptable fo payment. I do not know if this is still the case, I just found that interesting.

Erika

Thanks for those informative links! But I don't understand, why is it an adjustment disorder if it doesn't last longer than 6 months, I wonder? I would have guessed that it would turn into a disorder if it lasted too long.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are two specifiers for Adjustment DX: Acute - lasting less than 6 months, and Chronic - (which is confusing because the Dx is not supposed longer than 6 months) applied when there is response to a chronic stressor or to a stressor that has enduring consequences.

Also, If the symptoms of Adjustment Dx last longer than 6 months after the stressor or its consequences have ceassed, the Dx should be changed to another one, a Dx usually in the appropraite Not Otherwise Specified catergory (NOS), e.g. Anxiety Dx NOS. There can also be a case where the stressor continues to have consequences longer than 6 months but you can also have another Dx, say Major Depression Dx (MDD)or OCD, but the symptoms from come from the stressor not the OCD. For instance your Adjustment Dx stems from losing your job, which might have been due to your OCD, maybe not, so you still have Adustment Dx but its affect is separate/different from but your symptoms of OCD. Then you could have two Axis I Dxs. Axis I Dxs are clinical Dxs or other conditions that may be of clinical attention.

Does that help any, or just make it more confusing?

Erika

I'm having trouble with all that info, but I'll take your word for it. What difference does it make what you call it when you just can't get over an old hurt, anyway?

Are you the same Erika that hosts over at the About.com board?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not the same Erika. When I have some time I will try to post with some more explanation (I have to get my dog to the vet to so she can look at this huge, nasty cyst on my dog's back.)

Can I ask about the old hurt? Knowing more may help me write a reply, if you are willing to share. You can always PM me if that is more comfortable for you, if you don't want to post here.

Erika

Archived