CrazyBoards.org

Risperdal helping with concentration?

Guest Guest

Last week I was prescribed Risperdal along with Concerta to help with concentration. I've been on Concerta for a while but I was still having trouble concentrating for an extended period of time. I've never heard of Risperdal being used to help with concentration. Has anyone had any experience with this? From what I read, Risperdal is used for schizophrenia and bipolar. How could it be used as an adjuct to Concerta for ADHD? The side effects seem to say it would make you more lethargic and then perhaps less focused? I am a bit confused. Sorry for my naivet

Personally, I've never heard of risperdal being prescribed for ADHD. I take it for mania control and I found it helps me with anxiety, intrusive thoughts and paranoia. It doesn't help me with my ADD qualities (although not dxed I do have focus and attention issues.) Maybe a google search would turn up something. Lastly, why not ask your doc what research there is to validate the prescription of an AP for ADHD? Sounds like overkill, personally.

Personally, I've never heard of risperdal being prescribed for ADHD. I take it for mania control and I found it helps me with anxiety, intrusive thoughts and paranoia. It doesn't help me with my ADD qualities (although not dxed I do have focus and attention issues.) Maybe a google search would turn up something. Lastly, why not ask your doc what research there is to validate the prescription of an AP for ADHD? Sounds like overkill, personally.

My son takes concerta and ritalin.

After 4 years he developed a tic.

Docters precribed risperdal to supress the tic

i have add (inattentive) and take adderall. i used to also take risperdal, but it was never for the add. it was for bipolar disorder.

be careful wtih risperdal if you decide to go there. if you're female, be especially cautious of the effects it can have on your prolactin levels. it made my prolactin 10x higher than what it should have been. it caused me to lactate, lose gobs and gobs of hair, and lose my period. i had to go off the risperdal and start taking different birth control to clear up the problem. it has been 4 months since i started this new routine, and finally i've stopped losing as much hair, stopped lactating, and gotten my period.

risperdal is great, that's why i kept taking it. there is also a time released version that was just put on the market.

but for AD(H)D??? MAYBE if you fidget a lot, but there are safer drugs to control that.

i'd ask your pdoc for an alternative.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest_newbie73_*

i was actually given risperdal for this reason, it helps, but i found geodon and abilify to be better with their side effect profiles than risperdal. my doctor explained it as an issue with hugely scattered thoughts - if this is the case with you, then risperdal (or another AP) will help you focus your thoughts better.

good luck...

i take abilify now, and it isn't making me lose hair/lose my period/lactate.

yeah, i'd look into perhaps a stimulant with a beta blocker to keep from shaking if you have problems shaking. i know i have that problem on adderall. i have to take inderal with it or i look like an epileptic.

• 3 months later...

I'm on a fairly low dose of Risperdal to combat some hypomanic symptoms, and I can sure as shit tell you Risperdal doesn't improve MY concentration! Unless you mean concentrating on getting more food into my mouth. Haha. But, seriously, I can't imagine taking it to help with ADD symptoms.

Follow up on initial post.

Yes, I did try the risperdal for a little bit. It did help with the disorganized thoughts/racing thoughts that led to serious inattention issues. It also helped with the aggressive impulses. But it nevertheless made my attention span shorter and lazier. It organized my thoughts enough to realize I had priorities but the priorities were never met as the attention span was too short. His explanation as to why he put me on risperdal was because he thought it would help with the feeling that all external stimuli, albiet small or large, kind of sounded the same in my head (like a clock ticking sounded the same as someone speaking 10 feet away). So we moved onto concerta with a small dose of risperdal (.5) and a .25 dose as needed. Although the concerta helps a little with the concentration, much better than the risperdal, but I will give risperdal props for mellowing all of that unnecessary background noise. If that makes any sense to anybody.

• 1 month later...

Risperdal supressed a lot of intrusive, paranoid thoughts--and thus, in conjunction with Ritalin, helped me concentrate a lot better.

Taking Ritalin alone when you've got ADHD with another intrusive-thought-generating problem is like putting in earplugs to drown out your enemies' probing thoughts... helps, but doesn't do everything.

Seroquel and Ritalin was excellent for me. But then came the EPS.

-S

Last week I was prescribed Risperdal along with Concerta to help with concentration. I've been on Concerta for a while but I was still having trouble concentrating for an extended period of time. I've never heard of Risperdal being used to help with concentration. Has anyone had any experience with this? From what I read, Risperdal is used for schizophrenia and bipolar. How could it be used as an adjuct to Concerta for ADHD? The side effects seem to say it would make you more lethargic and then perhaps less focused? I am a bit confused. Sorry for my naivet

Archived