CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Adnama

Medicare part d?

Ok so I'm on SSDI and I should be elligiable for medicare in febuary of 08, and I'm trying to figure out how the med situation might work. Anyone have any insight?

Adnama,

Only thing I can say is be prepared to get highly frustrated and really confused. <-- Confused now, and medicare.gov doesn't make things any clearer.

Ok so I'm on SSDI and I should be elligiable for medicare in febuary of 08, and I'm trying to figure out how the med situation might work. Anyone have any insight?

I'm not exactly sure about what information you need or what you need the insight on.

Once you have medicare, you would have 2 choices regarding the medicare part d program.

The first would be to choose an insurance company that offers a complete hmo (bad word, bad word lol) that includes medicare part d in its package.

The second is to keep your basic medicare coverge and choose an insurance company that will be your medication insurer.

The best way to do this is to go to medicare.org. There is a program on the site that will help you choose. You will be prompted for questions, including all the medications you are currently taking, the dose, the mg's, etc. It will then generate 2 lists of programs, one that includes the hmo's and meds, one just the medication programs. It should list them in the order of what is recommended to be the best for you in terms of coverage based on your needs.

Look through them though, because you might think another is better.

And they do differ very much so do look through the sites and all the information it offers. Some have high deductibles, some none at all. The monthly fees differ. The med tiers differ. (Med tiers are what you pay as a co-pay, i.e., in my plan my tier oen I pay $2, Tier two, about $20, and tier three, about $40. That's what's good about this locator and why you need to list your meds. It will find and list first the programs that will cost you the least monthly.

Once you decide on a program, you can click on a link to sign up right from the information page. You should also get a choice of whether you want to pay the monthly charge on your own, or have it taken from your social security.

Does this help?