CrazyBoards.org

cutting and stitching

I cut last night. I've cut infrequently over the past few months - just a bit every now and then. It doesn't really bother me to do it, now that I've trained myself to cut my thighs rather than my arms so my family can't see and get upset. Anyway, I sometimes read on here about people needing stitches, and was wondering how you know if you need stitches? I just use toilet tissue to stem the blood until the bleeding stops....sometimes it takes seconds, sometimes minutes. The ones from last night took quite a while, and then came open again when I walked the dog this morning, which wasn't great. So what's the deal with stitching? Is it for when you absolutely can't stop the bleeding yourself, or to help minimize scarring or what?

xx

I don't know about scarring, I scar if I breathe on myself too hard ;) But my rule of thumb is...if it keeps opening, or is obviously gaping, go for the stitches. Sometimes they can even just glue it together. Also, I don't know if this has any scientific validity or it's just me, but if it is still seriously gushing blood after more than a few minutes (more than, say, a trickle), I'd go for the stitches too.

In the past, if it's not too bad, I've just cleaned it well and taped it together with those adhesive strip thingies until it has had time to start closing up on its own. I'm not sure how smart that is but I'm still alive, for whatever that's worth lol

once a certain period of time has passed (I think it's somewhere between 24 and 36 hours) it's actually too late to have the wound stitched. You need to get yourself to a doctor or to the ER before then.

Archived