CrazyBoards.org

am i asking for trouble....?

this might be a dumb question, but here goes anyway.

i'm currently on 27mg concerta and 25mg strattera, plus i take 100mg of 5-HTP at night. i've been trying to lose weight forever, and a friend of mine gave me her prescription for tenuate (diethylpropion), 25mg 3x per day, which she took for a day and it made her bounce off the walls. i've almost finished her supply, and in the time i've been taking it, i've started going to yoga 3 times per week, ellipticals 3 times a week, and i've never felt quite so active in my life. i am not nearly as dependent on food, and only eat when i have to.

only now i seem to have gotten stuck at 240 lbs (i'm 6'5") and can't get any lower. i was considering getting a prescription for phentermine to replace the tenuate

am i crazy to be taking another prescription stimulant along with concerta? i have not felt like my heart was beating too fast or any negative side effects. if anything i have felt like i've been able to be as active as i've always wanted to be.

advice would be much appreciated.

am i crazy to be taking another prescription stimulant along with concerta?

I'd say it is crazy to be taking another person's prescription.

i have not felt like my heart was beating too fast or any negative side effects. if anything i have felt like i've been able to be as active as i've always wanted to be.

However, since you've done it already and your weight is a medical concern (possibly a psychological concern

as well) I strongly suggest you discuss the whole situation with your regular doctor. If he agrees to work with

you using Tenuate until you can get the yoga and exercise built up as a regular routine - in other words "short

term" - it might not be too bad. These are all very much "under medical supervision" medications.

I agree. The only person who can and should tell you if this is appropriate is your doctor.

We can't take your blood pressure, nor are we versed in all the possibilities of the combinations.

Your friend should not be giving out her meds, nor should you be taking them. Not unless you had a prescription.

Not feeling your heart race doesn't tell you everything. If you had high blood pressure, your heart wouldn't race.

Please see your doctor and talk to her or him about it.

I agree. The only person who can and should tell you if this is appropriate is your doctor.

We can't take your blood pressure, nor are we versed in all the possibilities of the combinations.

Your friend should not be giving out her meds, nor should you be taking them. Not unless you had a prescription.

Not feeling your heart race doesn't tell you everything. If you had high blood pressure, your heart wouldn't race.

Please see your doctor and talk to her or him about it.

I know, I know. All this I know. Like I'm the first person in the world to take medication without a doctor having prescribed it for me. But anyway..... it's a frustrating position. Because I see a nurse practitioner every 4 weeks. And now that's down to 8 weeks. And I know if I said hey, I've gained 20 pounds since college that I've never been able to keep off, and I lost 15 of that, but honestly I think I need something to control my appetite and increase my metabolism for the short term, she'd say, oh those drugs are dangerous, diet and exercise and blah blah blah. Well, I *can't* diet, and exercise tones and builds muscle and all that, but I honestly sincerely believe I need this right now to give me an extra kick so I can finnnnalllly be at my ideal weight.

All this is to say, I've found an endocrinologist in Beverly Hills who apparently gives out phentermine like candy, and my friend says I can be completely honest and say look, I'm on this and this, but I think I need this and I'd like to try it for a month. So.... I guess I'm not gonna drive to Tijuana and smuggle some phentermine back in my underpants after all.

thanks for the advice ;)

first, everyone is right that you can't take stuff without it being prescribed to you by your own doctor. that is crazy. you don't know the interactions. is your life worth a few pounds? i'd say no.

if you want to lose weight the safe and normal way and keep it off, i am a total advocate of weight watchers. i lost 40lbs in a year just by learning how to eat right and how my body's metabolism works. i can't explain my weight loss any other way. i didn't do anything different, besides join a gym (didn't last) and changed my meds a bit. i used to wear a 10 and now i wear a 2/4. i weigh 110lbs. my weight hasn't moved upwards this whole time, and i'm confident it won't.

i still practice weight watchers, but i do it to maintain my weight. i was never hungry while losing weight and it wasn't hard at all to follow the program. you're not alone- you'd be very surprised how many men and women go to WW. i was in good company.

this is a much healthier and normal, life long total change in your lifestyle than some pills. maybe your doctor, since you may need some help, might give you a prescription to help you. but your lifestyle is what will make or break it for you.

I know, I know. All this I know. Like I'm the first person in the world to take medication without a doctor having prescribed it for me. But anyway..... it's a frustrating position.

Well, you *did* ask.

So.... I guess I'm not gonna drive to Tijuana and smuggle some phentermine back in my underpants after all.

Aw, man. That sounds lots more fun than copping some diet pills from a friend who hates them.

this might be a dumb question, but here goes anyway.

i'm currently on 27mg concerta and 25mg strattera, plus i take 100mg of 5-HTP at night. i've been trying to lose weight forever, and a friend of mine gave me her prescription for tenuate (diethylpropion), 25mg 3x per day, which she took for a day and it made her bounce off the walls. i've almost finished her supply, and in the time i've been taking it, i've started going to yoga 3 times per week, ellipticals 3 times a week, and i've never felt quite so active in my life. i am not nearly as dependent on food, and only eat when i have to.

only now i seem to have gotten stuck at 240 lbs (i'm 6'5") and can't get any lower. i was considering getting a prescription for phentermine to replace the tenuate

am i crazy to be taking another prescription stimulant along with concerta? i have not felt like my heart was beating too fast or any negative side effects. if anything i have felt like i've been able to be as active as i've always wanted to be.

maybe 240 lbs is a pretty good weight for being 6'5"? I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs and come across to people as thin... why dont you add some weight lifting for tone and try to maintain your weight at 240 lbs with just your normal meds?

I know, I know. All this I know. Like I'm the first person in the world to take medication without a doctor having prescribed it for me. But anyway..... it's a frustrating position.

Well, you *did* ask.

So.... I guess I'm not gonna drive to Tijuana and smuggle some phentermine back in my underpants after all.

Aw, man. That sounds lots more fun than copping some diet pills from a friend who hates them.

hi everyone, thought i would follow up to all my nonsense.... yes, i realize it was insane of me to be taking meds i wasn't prescribed -- i was all nervous that i'd stop taking them and my weight would go up immediately, and guess what? it didn't. i stopped taking the tenuate, and had my concerta dosage raised to 27mg a day, and have continued doing yoga and some cardio ellipticals, and my appetite has stayed the same and my weight has stayed the same. i'm starting to wonder if tenuate was even what made me lose weight or if it was just the yoga and concerta. who can say. anyway, i didn't end up driving to tijuana and i've definitely weaned myself away from the idea of taking any further appetite supressants.

Archived