CrazyBoards.org

klonopin or switch to ativan or vallium?

Guest spiderman

Guest spiderman

i have been using klonopin for around 9 years off and on. I might be addicted but i dont need it daily or the same amount daily. my new psych doctor has given me the option to try ativan instead of klonopin just to switch it up. what does everyone think? i get tired from many of the medications so i am wondering if ativan is good for the anxiety but maybe less tiring then the klonpin? i have taken ativan before but it didnt seem to hit the anxiety as much as klonopin.

I guess it would depend on what is more important.

If you have tried Ativan before and it doesn't make you as tired but doesn't work on the anxiety as well, are you willing to make the trade off so that you can be more alert?

Are you sure it is the klonopin that is making you tired/drowsy? Could some of your other medications be making you tired and are there any other options to help that, like taking them at a different time of day?

I took Ativan once and it completely kicked my ass. I was knocked out. I wouldn't be able to take it, but that is just me and it works well for other people without knocking them out. Do you remember the Ativan making you drowsy from before?

I have zero experience with Valium, though. Sorry.

Perhaps your PDoc wants to switch it up so that you don't become dependent?

Even though it has a shorter half life, I just started taking Ativan again, but this time as well as Klonopin. Pdoc likes the long life of the Klonopin, and it doesn't make me drowsy or anything. Sleep is good.

but the Ativan can help in immediate situations, being so fast acting. I like that. Taking Klonopin am and pm and Ativan and or Clonazepam during the day as needed are what I'm counting on for the new stresses coming up.

My pdoc is not concerned about dependency. Controlling anxiety is the important thing right now.

Maybe a further conversation with your pdoc would be helpful.

Even though it has a shorter half life, I just started taking Ativan again, but this time as well as Klonopin. Pdoc likes the long life of the Klonopin, and it doesn't make me drowsy or anything. Sleep is good.

but the Ativan can help in immediate situations, being so fast acting. I like that. Taking Klonopin am and pm and Ativan and or Clonazepam during the day as needed are what I'm counting on for the new stresses coming up.

My pdoc is not concerned about dependency. Controlling anxiety is the important thing right now.

Spiderman, you could try a switch to valium. My p-doc is very pro valium because the effective half life is shorter than klonopin even though the residual half life is as long/longer. This often means if you take it at night you dont feel so tired in the morning. Talk to your dr about valium perhaps.

Guest spiderman

that is interesting do you know how valium compares to ativan for anxiety as well as the effective half life? I just want what will get out of my system during the night while i am sleeping.

it is for 2 issues which are as a muscle type relaxer and sleep aid oh and for anxiety as needed. do you use any during the day?

Spiderman, you could try a switch to valium. My p-doc is very pro valium because the effective half life is shorter than klonopin even though the residual half life is as long/longer. This often means if you take it at night you dont feel so tired in the morning. Talk to your dr about valium perhaps.

Archived