CrazyBoards.org

kiniesiologist said that I'm allergic to serotonin

i saw a doc who's a chiropractor among other things. he did this bizarre stuff where he held my arm up and asked me statements and determined how my body reacted where my psychological "blockages" were. he also touched touched small bottles of stuff while holding my arm up to determine what i was allergic or intolerant to. he concluded that i was allergic to animal dander (which i am), but more importantly that i am allergic to my own hormones, and to my own serotonin. is this even possible? is this guy full of crap? he says he has cleared people of many allergies, and can clear me of mine...any thoughts?

i've been to a kinesiologist. fairly recently. i know that kinesiologists work with energy and stress in the body. the whole arm thing is a way of testing the body's (and subconsious?) reaction to particular statements, supposedly in ways i imagine that react faster than our conscious minds could to these same questions. i know i left there feeling more 'clear' than before. i felt that she was able to glean some things that were interesting -- mainly that my belief/concern with being out in the world causing me to lose control went back 4 generations on my mother's side. at least my body thinks it does.

i don't know anything about kinesiologists being able to tell you that you're allergic to your own serotonin. it's possible that this guy is using some combination of three or more different techniques or traditions in order to come up with some 'fusion' diagnosis. This makes me wary.

If treatments are benign enough -- and i mean beNIGN: touch your nose to your knee every night twelve times or eat more broccoli and repeat this mantra -- then i guess it's ok. if you are on medications as well, be especially careful with herbal remedies or other tinctures that people want to sell you. if this guy tells you that in order to fix your body from rejecting its own serotonin that you need to take colloidal silver or ginseng or whatever the fuck else, i would humbly suggest going to a new age shop and buying a crystal such as amethyst. it will be as effective and less likely to kill you. unless you're like me and enjoy looking at the pretty rock as you attempt to cross the busy highway.

He's full of crap. Go to a regular allergy doctor and get a scratch test.

Practically everyone is allergic to animal dander - if I randomly named an allergy, I'd name that one, and it would probably be correct.

I've never heard of anyone having an autoimmune reaction to serotonin. It's very likely that if you had an allergy to serotonin, you'd be dead. (If you do have an allergy, would getting severely depressed fix it?)

What does he mean by "clearing"? And what does it involve?

RUN, don't walk away, from this guy! This is quackery of the highest order.

If you were allergic to your own hormones you would be gravely ill and probably dead in short order. Chiropractors do not have training in endocrinology. If he truly thinks you have this problem then he should be refering you to a board certifed endocrinologist or a neurologist, MD. It is unethical for him to practice medicine (he isn't a medical doctor) and more specifically practice in specialities in which he is not trained.

How did he know you have allergies? The same way most MD allergists do. He probably saw you wipe your nose (the allergic salute). Then he tossed out dust mites as an allergy since a high percentage of people have it. Holding arms and touching bottles is not a scientific nor accepted method of testing. Allergy medicine has been around for about 80 years, and the scratch/injection test is the gold standard.

If you want your back adjusted, I'm sure this guy is competent. Unfortunately chiropractors often have great difficulty making a living and turn to making fantastic and unsupported claims about its abilities or expand into unscientific remedies and treatments in order to make money. BTW, the chiropractic association has yet to provide a definition of 'subluxation" that passes rigourous testing which can be detected by impartial observers, i.e. radiologists, neurologists, orthopods.

a.m.

that makes about as much sense as being allergic to your own blood.

Except that it is entirely possible to have Ig antibodies to one's own blood cells, and there ARE

people who require antihistamine pretreatment before receiving fully typed and crossed

blood products.

I don't see much in the online research references that indicates that allergies to serotonin

have really been observed. It's not impossible - hormone allergies and sensitization reactions

DO occur - but after the immune system got busy attacking serotonin-producing cells and cells

with serotonin receptors I think you'd be far too sick to be visiting a chiropractor.

What null0trooper said.

Also, it sounds like your chiro was doing NAET. I just found out about it in my quest to figure out why the fuck I'm allergic (or react physically) to the majority of meds/supplements I've taken recently. I'd decided to look into accupuncture (and possibly Chinese herbs), so I talked to this very nice sounding AP/DOM. She immediately suggested NAET, saying that it's rooted in some Indian/Ayurvedic principles. I thought that sounded cool, but decided to look it up on the web before making an appointment.

Now, there are a lot of people who swear by, and part of me really wants to believe in the body's own healing power. But the methodology seems sooo sketchy. The scientist in me just will not believe that holding a vial of a suspected allergen while having accupoint massaged or needled is going to make the allergy go away. It was reading Steven Barret's take that made up my mind. Granted, this guy seems to have something of a vendetta against alt-chiropractitioners. But the fact that the Nambudripad's method allows surrogate muscle testing is well past the point of preposterousness.

Anyway, I ended up looking up a different accupuncturist. As far as chiros go, I'm with AM; there's a lot of really unsubstantiated stuff that they're involved with. From what I've read (e.g. Wikipedia's review of studies), none of the testing methods of applied kinesiology have shown to be reliable or valid, when subjected to blinding or placebo controls. If you're really at the end of your rope and have the money to spend, go for it. Otherwise, I'd consider less serpen-unctuous methods first.

~cache-monkey

[Edited to close hyperlink tag]

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been to a kinesiologist but my best friend has and she's a depressed, anxious insomniac same as me. She says it's good and helps her but I don't believe her because the day before and after she's saying that she's talking about how she wants to cut her wrist and die. She says the herbal drops from the kinesiologist help her sleep but she's still takes Ambien (zolpidem) just as much. Frankly I think alternative medicine for the most part hasn't been proven safe or effective. Sure I would give St Johns Wort or Valerian a try they've both been proven effective for depression and insomnia respectively but this kinesiology shit sounds pretty fishy to me.

This kind of "testing" has come up on here before, and I still stand by my statement of considering "waving fruit at people and seeing if they tense up or not for allergy testing as asshattery". Here is my more useful response after actually thinking about it instead of just boggling at the idea.

Edit: That Stephen Barrett article is great. It's the same kind of stuff I've been saying for a while, only with a bunch of citations and quotes, and from someone with a little more authority than I have.

• 5 months later...
Guest Allison Kessler

Your kiniesiologist was doing NAET, as someone else suggested. The NAET treatments I've gotten have worked miracles for me. I was also allergic to my hormones and to serotonin, in addition to a laundry list of items. The symptoms of my allergy to serotonin absolutely fit with what serotonin is responsible for. I've been unable to calm down, have frequent angry episodes, I'm very irritable and unbelievably moody, my sleep cycle in always interrupted, etc.

NAET treatments don't make you ingest stuff like other homeopathic treatments that I don't agree with. What do you have to lose by getting the treatments done? After just one treatment, you'll feel so much better that you'll want to have the rest done.

My NAET allergy practitioner is named Debra Lowe, and you can learn more about NAET on her Allergy and Pain Website

People can have problems with dysregulation of serotonin, but it is highly unlikely that an allergy to it can exist. Try googling for serotonin allergy or allergic to serotonin.

If the woman you are handing your mental health to has literally told you you are allergic to serotonin, she is mistaken, is communicating poorly, or is putting one over on you. It would probably be good for you to seek a second opinion, especially with the symptoms you describe.

Your kiniesiologist was doing NAET, as someone else suggested. The NAET treatments I've gotten have worked miracles for me. I was also allergic to my hormones and to serotonin, in addition to a laundry list of items. The symptoms of my allergy to serotonin absolutely fit with what serotonin is responsible for.

OK. What do you think that serotonin is responsible for, and what do you think an allergic reaction is?

I've been unable to calm down, have frequent angry episodes, I'm very irritable and unbelievably moody, my sleep cycle in always interrupted, etc.

NAET treatments don't make you ingest stuff like other homeopathic treatments that I don't agree with. What do you have to lose by getting the treatments done?

My money and my time.

Once the placebo effect wears off, and with the symptoms you describe ... possibly assault charges.

• 1 month later...

I'm not part of this forum but just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I see a alt-chiropractor and she does this stuff with me.

I think she may be using the term 'allergic' to mean that your body is overly sensitive (and overreacts) to serotonin, rather than it cannot deal with it at all. so, when you have a hit of sugar or whatever (and thus, the amount of serotonin in your brain increases) you overreact or react badly.. you're sensitive to it.. which is, i guess, a way of alluring to a bipolar diagnosis.. if that makes sense.

Anyway, my chiro has been right about a lot of things and has been able to tell me a lot of things about my body that is accurate and that I haven't told her about.. it's freaky, but, if it works then whatever!

I work in the benefits department in a school district. Over the past three years, I have seen more and more of these types of "traditional" chinese medicine claims come through. Why, the insurance companies are even adding more and more of these to their allowable "procedures".

I have come right out and asked some of these people (co-workers) how they are being helped. Every single one of them come across to me as very happy with their results.

I guess there must be some validity .. don't you think? Especially if insurance companies are rethinking their stance on this.

We probably need to remember that Chinese medicine is one of the oldest medical systems in the world. If it was all quackery, why (or how?) in the world is it still around?

Just my opinion ..

LL

http://www.quackwatch.org has to say regarding same. have no experiences with acupuncture or kinesiology but have been treated in asia by "traditional chinese" medicine because of lack of western methods. acupuncture in SE asia is relegated to sort of a fortune teller status. the joints are on the outskirts of town away from the pharmacies. some chinese pharms carry and dispense western stuff as well.

our western pdrugs are so strong and loaded with unwanted effects. many among us are so beat up by MI and these side effects that looking over the fence comes with the territory.

We probably need to remember that Chinese medicine is one of the oldest medical systems in the world. If it was all quackery, why (or how?) in the world is it still around? ..

This "allergic to serotonin" quackery isn't "traditional Chinese medicine" anyway, so it doesn't matter what the local herbalist has been up to the past few thousand years (everywhere, not just in China or India)

even if it did matter,

1. While some of it may work well, that doesn't mean all of it works well, or at all. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

2. In the past, people who weren't so ill that they needed something more effective survived longer and had more children than the sicker folks. No doctors needed for that basic biological function to work.

3. "Traditional medicine" has survived in the absence of competition from "Modern medicine". It hasn't fared so well in countries where Western allopathic medicine has actually cured some diseases and prevented others. Even then, to paraphrase a wiser man: "There's a sucker born every minute. Then there are the folks who are just desperate enough to try anything. Both are easily parted from their money."

• 7 months later...
Guest Guest

Hi:

I just want to share with you that I am allergic to many many things, including serotonin and one of my own hormones, "estradiol". I went to a MD specialized in allergies and it is true I got the skin prickling tests and I am taking allergy shots.

It sounds weird, but it is true.

I hope you find this info usefu

This is guy is a quack, a charlatan of the worst kind. Stay away from any kind of "intuitive" doctor. Next thing you know he'll be sending you to the Philippines for psychic surgery.

Edit: sorry for bumping. I didn't notice how old this thread was. It just really pisses me off whenever I hear stories like this. These snake oil salesmen prey on the insecurities of very sick and desperate people and they need to be stopped.

I totally agree Gwen. My mom made me go to many doctors like this as I was growing up. One prescribed me medication by putting bottles in my hand and then seeing if my hand moved up or down, etc. I have many, many, many other stories like that. Though to be fair, it was a homeopathist who diagnosed me with Appendicitis when my 'western' medicine doctor said I was just getting my period for the first time. Unfortunately my appendix burst over a day before the homeopathist called my mom because since she was a homepathist and at the particular lab she used for blood tests, she had to wait 24 hours, while other docs (western medicine) got their results after just a few hours. At least she took a blood test. My other doc did not.

Anyway, I had to drink a lot of foul tasting teas and take a LOT of pills "vitamins" as a kid, at one point 21 pills at lunch and I honestly don't think they helped at all. Not a single one was a prescription medication at that point. Before I was up to 21 pills at lunch (and at boarding school where I was made fun of because of it and would always get the lunch scraps because it took me so damn long to swallow the god damn things and kids are ravenous) did have to take 'steroids' for my asthma, etc. Again, 21 pills is way to many pills for a 10 year old to take, especially when there's no proof it's doing anything! I'm uber skeptical of these docs and pretty damn resentful since they made me do all sorts of wacky shit as a child, including taking sulfur pills and sleeping with crystals.

Archived