CrazyBoards.org

i have pinpointed yet another chemical that i have a very strong reaction to (glycolic acid) and i know i've talked to other autistic folk who have chemical sensitivities... is this a normal part of being autistic??

i have almost no food allergies (i just developed an allergy to shell fish in the last few years, but other than that i can eat anything) but i'm sensitive to tons of other things... alcohol, ammonia, glycolic acid, quite a few food preservatives and colorings... there's a good reason i'm a granola and buy everything organic ;)

abi

Is it like other sensory issues or actual MCS?

i'm not sure because i really don't understand MCS as being any different than someone who just happens to have a lot of allergies.

I do know that the sensitivity seems to be increasing, although i am also gaining more body awareness, so it is equally possible i am simply noticing for the first time and making the connections about chemicals.

1. Symptoms are reproducible with repeated (chemical) exposures.

yes. that's how i figured out which chemical it was.

2. The condition is chronic.

meaning every time i'm exposed to said chemical i get sick? yes. meaning if the chemical is not present i am still sick? no.

3. Low levels of exposure (lower than previously or commonly tolerated) result in manifestations of the syndrome (i.e. increased sensitivity).

again, i don't know if that is a yes or if i'm simply more in awareness now.

4. The symptoms improve, or resolve completely, when the triggering chemicals are removed.

yeppers.

5. Responses often occur to multiple chemically-unrelated substances.

no clue.

6. Symptoms involve multiple-organ symptoms (runny nose, itchy eyes, headache, scratchy throat, ear ache, scalp pain, mental confusion or sleepiness, palpitations of the heart, upset stomach, nausea and/or diarrhea, abdominal cramping, aching joints).

depends on the chemical...

so, see... no clue ;) but it's possible, i suppose. i know i feel a LOT better when everything i buy (including dish soap and dishwashing soap which don't have anything i know i'm sensitive to) are organic and simple. it's just so expensive.

abi

a lot of people have MCS... i have MCS. I suppose it could be related in some way to autism and an inability to clean chemicals out of your system. you should maybe check out the feingold diet. i know that my MCS resulted from too much exposure to formaldehyde (in the form of dust from the insulation in the heating system in a crappy apartment). the exposure sensitized me to all fake smells and certain chemicals. home depot is a no-no for me. i too use all-natural cleaning everything, and i wear essential oils instead of perfume.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that if you have MCS, it's not specific only to autistics.

hey penny ;) essential oils smell better than perfumes anyway.

well, since i already keep as many chemicals out as possible, i'm probably doing the bulk of what i'd have to do if i did have (or do have?) mcs. i guess my main curiousity is if i'm just sensitive because i'm sensitive to so many other things, or if there's a cause lol.

i dunno. i'm tired. i wanted to be in bed two hours ago but i forgot i had a meeting at work and now i won't be able to get much more than four hours of sleep tonight. i'm not thinking too clearly.

abi

Archived