Crazy Wellbutrin side effects!

Guest libbie

Guest libbie

Okay, so I was on Celexa for about a year before it stopped working (I am prone to building immunity to any drugs I take.) It worked well for me, though, so my doctor switched me to Lexapro. Cue four months later, and I've gained 20(!!!!) pounds and feel completely and utterly miserable. The lexapro was awful. Even if I didn't eat I still gained weight! Not to mention it didn't help remotely with my dysthymia. Also, there had been a few effects of the Celexa I didn't like, i.e. no libido, no emotions.

So my doctor decided to try me on Wellbutrin, which was fine with me since I heard it could help you lose weight. I started on 150 mg of XL at the end of May and switched up to 300 a week later. 150 was fine, I had no side effects at all. Once I switched to 300, though, everything went crazy. I had a constant awful taste in my mouth, felt dizzy and almost stoned, had absolutely no desire to eat, and often felt quite nauseous - probably not helped by the fact that I wasn't eating.

After a week and a half or so the side effects started to subside, with the exception of the bad mouth taste which comes and goes, and occasional nausea which is relieved by eating. The thing is - I don't feel even remotely better. I woke up crying this morning and couldn't stop sobbing. I feel like banging my head against the wall a lot of the time. It's almost like it was in my worst periods before I started on ADs. I've lost 10 of the 20 pounds I gained on Lexapro, which is crazy since it's only been four weeks. I like that, but I don't know if it's worth everything else. The only positive effect I've noticed is that I've stopped my OCD hair-pulling thing, which got really bad on the Lexapro.

So my question is: it's been a month. Is this stuff going to kick in or what? Should I give up on it? Will that damnable nasty taste ever go away? When I started on Celexa it started working after about 2 weeks. I was expecting the Wellbutrin to be working by now, but nothing. Help!!!

Guest PinkToo2grrl

I'm finding that my body is very slow to adjust to wellbutrin.  4-6 weeks is common for it to start working on the depression.  2-3 weeks for all the damn ugly side affects to subside.  (I had a very similar experience to yours as far as side affects are concerned, but i am still waiting for the weight loss - I'm only at 150mg though, started at 75)  you may need to add an ssri to the mix to fully address the depression as wellbutrin only works on 2 of the three neurotransmitters (from what I understand).  Or you may need to go up to 450.  When do you talk to your pdoc again?

sorry you are having such a hard time with you meds and your doctors. wellbutrin seems to work ther best on me--i have never been able to handle the horrible side effects i get from ssrs's. wellbutrin does seem to make me more emotional. i cry more, i get teary eved over dog food commercials. all my emotions seem to be closer to the surface. but i can deal with that. however wellbutrin does have my anxiety level shooting through the roof which i have not been ablt to tolerate. makes me tense and snappy and angry at everyone for everything. my doctors (gp and obgyn) are great at handing out the drugs but freak if you shoudl ahve a problem taking any of them. so i took it upon myself to lower my dosage of wellbutrin (i am just treating depression, no other fun maladies). the lower dose, 150 gives me some of the pep and a bit teary-eyedness but i am no longer feeling that when i leave my house i am heading out on a pathy of destruction for anything that comes my way. lowering the dose from 300 to 150 had made this medication and its side effects much more tolerable and yet i still feel the drug us helping me.

i had this experienve many moons ago when i first tried elavil. everytime i had to increase the dosage (we were working to get up to a therapeutic level) i had these awful side effects of having that feeling when your drunk and the room is spinning and you are about to be sick. i could only increase my dosage on weekends because it too me 2 days to settle back into "functional". my therapist and i decided not to titrate up to the full reccommended level (ok it was me refusing to go thru another weekend wiith the  spins) but the 75mg worked ok for me, so i think for me, if things are going to work they will work at smaller doses.

i was taking 1/4 lexapro with the wellbutrin 300 and that really helped the anxiety and i dint feel all stoned and achy. i was weaning off lexapro (horrible drug for me) to wellbutrin but the tiny amount of lexapro with the wellbutrin seemed to counteract each drugs negative side effects. unfortunately my regular docs have no interest in mixing coctails and my lex has run out (i did tell them what i was doing).

so i am inbetween doctors and they both suggest i see a psychiatric doctor. money is an issue since i am not covered but frankly i am more hesitiant to get involved with another useless doctor.

so forgive my longwinded way of saying maybe a smaller dose works well for you. can you go back to the 150? that sounded rather promising for you

hope that helps a bit

denise

java script:emoticon(' ;) ')

How do I make my husband understand that I'm so agitated and bitchy and depressed and won't leave the house because the Wellbutrin is causing this? His memory is short and he does not remember that one month of Lamictal did the same thing! 

I don't think I'm going to be able to keep my lovely new husband much longer. We've been married three years, and no matter how much I educate him, something in him keeps it from sinking in. He only wants to blame me, and say, "I never know who you are going to be from one day to the next." Well, I told him I was bipolar and tried to educate him for the entire year before we got married! It's not like I didn't warn him.

How do I make my husband understand that I'm so agitated and bitchy and depressed and won't leave the house because the Wellbutrin is causing this? His memory is short and he does not remember that one month of Lamictal did the same thing! 

I don't think I'm going to be able to keep my lovely new husband much longer. We've been married three years, and no matter how much I educate him, something in him keeps it from sinking in. He only wants to blame me, and say, "I never know who you are going to be from one day to the next." Well, I told him I was bipolar and tried to educate him for the entire year before we got married! It's not like I didn't warn him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Short of magically turning him into a depressed, anxious bipolar patient for a day, I can't think of anything. I am serious.

StrungOutOnLife

*who has heard that they don't even have a rat model that covers all the bipolar states*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the same problem with my SO, trying to get him to understand my BP and GAD. He went into therapy too and the pdoc succeeded in getting him to understand that the mood shifts, rage, etc., etc. where due to my illness. Once he began to really understand this our relationship really improved. Is it possible that your husband could accompany you to a pdoc session so your pdoc could help him to better understand? I know you have tried to educate him for years now but maybe a "professional" will have better luck at getting the point across.

Erika

I had the same problem with my SO, trying to get him to understand my BP and GAD. He went into therapy too and the pdoc succeeded in getting him to understand that the mood shifts, rage, etc., etc. where due to my illness. Once he began to really understand this our relationship really improved. Is it possible that your husband could accompany you to a pdoc session so your pdoc could help him to better understand? I know you have tried to educate him for years now but maybe a "professional" will have better luck at getting the point across.

Hi, I've dragged him into many pdocs and therapists. The first problem is that they do not explain anything to him (let alone me). I can find more info in self help books and on the 'net than I can get out of them! I print out stuff and have him read it, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I think this is due to a real unwillingness on his part to be supportive or to want to understand. I guess it means marriage counseling time again.

About Wellbutrin,

I just called Glaxo Smith Kline, and as usual they want to document the effects I am having from this stuff, but they can't give any advice other than to tell my doctor. I have a very, very bad pdoc right now and am trying to get a new one. But at least it helps to make the manufacturers know that Wellbutrin has turned around and bit me in the ass.

Hi, I've dragged him into many pdocs and therapists. The first problem is that they do not explain anything to him (let alone me). I can find more info in self help books and on the 'net than I can get out of them! I print out stuff and have him read it, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I think this is due to a real unwillingness on his part to be supportive or to want to understand. I guess it means marriage counseling time again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a Rapid-Cycle Bi-polar, and Wellbutrin didn't sit well with me either because I had the same anger/anxiety responses.  I finally had to quit!

I'm not a Dr, so I please know that I'm not recommending anything.  But when I went to my current Dr. (I've been with him for 4 years now) we finally found that a combo of Seroquel, Topamax, Trileptal and a Klonopin "soother" for when the anxiety got too much.  Its not for everyone I understand, but the Seroquel at least arrested most of my cycling.

I am sorry about your husband...he sounds like my ex.  I read that the Pdocs didn't work.  Have you suggested him going to mental health support groups or even talking to other folks who live with mentally interesting people such as us?  Its helped my boyfriend quite a bit.

Forgive me if I've missed the point or if I've intruded.

Take care and live well.

Wellbutrin made me manic as hell. I had to be taken off it after only a week because I ended up beating up my (ex)boyfriend and landed myself in the psych ward. Fun stuff. And I was on to quit SMOKING. Thanks, I'd rather keep my beloved Lucky Strikes.

Guest sita

Hi, I've been on WB for 3 weeks now (1 week on 300mg), and I, too, am wondering if this is the drug for me, as much as I want it to be (love the absence of sexual side effects & hunger).  I get that stoned-tired feeling a few hours after I take it, and then by 4pm my heart is beating pretty fast & I'm short of breath.  I'm wondering if these are signs of anxiety (I've been prone to them only on occassion), or the effects of the drug that will wear off.

More importantly, I don't feel the joy de vivre that I felt on Lamictal (great AD!), or on Zoloft years ago.  For those experienced with mixing another ADD with Wellbutrin, what are your experiences?  I will go searching this afternoon when I have more time.....Although I think I'll give WB another 3 weeks..

Libbie, I am also on Wellbutrin, just went up to 300 SR after being on 250 sr for about a week and 150 sr for a few weeks.  I am currently in the depths of depression, crying, suicidal, etc. but am going to give it another couple of weeks if I can. I'm running out of A/Ds to try so I would hate to give up too early on the off chance that it finally kicks in.  Let us know how it's going for you.  Sulu

How far apart are you taking your doses? I take 150 around 9 am and the other around 3 or 4.  I still don't have a lot of energy which is why we chose this AD, I hope it kicks in soon.

Wellbutrin made me manic as hell. I had to be taken off it after only a week because I ended up beating up my (ex)boyfriend and landed myself in the psych ward. Fun stuff. And I was on to quit SMOKING. Thanks, I'd rather keep my beloved Lucky Strikes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a BP I w/all the trimmings.  I had a BAD anger side effect from Wellbutrin...on 300mg for 3 mos, gained weight, had anxiety, irritabilityand all the rest of the fun stuff.  Then a lady cut me off when I was driving and when we got to a signal and stopped I got out of the car to open the door to beat the tar out of her. 

IMHO, this stuff's bad news for bipolars everywhere!

Maybe there's something else for you?

Guest PinkToo2grrl

I've added WB to my lexapro, and I am finding it takes me a long time to get over the side effects.  I'm giving myself a full 6 weeks on the current dose before i make any decisions.  The side effects do seem to be lessening. 

I have this weird trippy kinda on acid feeling all the time that i don't like. It's minimal, and may be the sucking less side of the coin, but I wanna ride it out and see.  Maybe it will go away. 

Archived