CrazyBoards.org

A solution for Social anxiety brought on by AD med

I swear I am the bearer of all things paradoxical.  I take Luvox and in the past have taken zoloft for depression/GAD/social anxiety, but I swear, the SSRI's make me highly uncomfortable in social situations , when they are supposed to make me feel better.  Even watching people talking together on the TV makes me get nervous and increases my social anxiety.  It was only when I started coming off zoloft that I noticed the improvement - unfortunately my depression has forced me back on to an SSRI. I've tried tricyclics but they too seem to overstimulate me.  Even Xyprexa doesn't seem to help.  Anyone got any ideas? 

Hmm, that seems a little strange, but sometimes the SSRIs do increase people's anxiety. 

If you're willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of the social anxiety, I've heard a lot of good things about Nardil, an MAOI.  Also, have you tried Paxil?  That's one that is more on the sedating side and may be the best SSRI for social anxiety.  There's also benzos, of course, but not surprisingly I find that they don't get rid of feelings of insecurity, just the physical nervousness.

Have you been diagnosed Bipolar?  My pdoc thinks that's what I've got due in part to the problems I've had with ADs, SSRIs in particular.  Mania can manifest as anxiety, SSRIs can trigger mania, and that could contribute to heightened social anxiety. 

I've tried tricyclics but they too seem to overstimulate me.

Same here.  TCAs and whatever Wellbutrin is (can't remember at the moment).  They put my anxiety through the roof and induced psychotic rage.  Fun, fun, fun.

Your pdoc sounds good.
I had to beg and plead to see him.  He must be good...we're continuing my evaluation (the first half lasted a couple of hours) this coming Friday because I'm not exactly your straightfoward psych case that fits neatly into any one slot.  I've read it takes, on average, seven years for a person to get a BP dx.  Of course it probably helped that both my aunt and mother are BP. 

What problems did you have with SSRI's?

They would start to work and poop out after a couple of months, or I would go completely emotionally numb (Zoloft turned me into a zombie), or I would get stuck in what I termed at the time "major depression".  I was suicidal, like, every day for a month on Prozac, waking up crying, going to sleep crying, feeling restless and paranoid and doing a little self-injuring, having panic attacks more often than usual.  Then I quit the Prozac and went back to cycling mood states.

Archived