CrazyBoards.org

Rapid Cycling

Guest E

http://www.mcmanweb.com/rapid-cycling.htm

I was diagnosed with clinical depression when i was 14 and never thought it fit. I often suspected Borderline Personality Disorder, but my behaviors didn't fit so the docs said no to that too. Bipolar II with rapid cycling makes compete sense for what I experience. Just wanted to share.

they're very close, and it makes it very hard, huh? they do come together sometimes, so watch out for that.

i'd suggest keeping a mood chart and journal, and sharing this with your pdoc. this will show patterns of up and down, and perhaps show your pdoc if you have depression or a rapid cycling bp2. major axis 1 disorders don't always travel alone, sometimes there are personality disorders involved too, so you could raise that possibility if you feel that it is necessary.

i'm bp1/rapid cycling and i've gone through every stage of examination, denial, and acceptance. i think everyone questions their DX at some point and sometimes we can refine it to be more accurate. i think you can do that with the mood journal.

loon

Another recently-discovered fact--kids with any kind of BP cycle, on the whole, much more rapidly than adults. I used to watch my kid change from minute to minute--but of course, never knew till he was grown what it was (His sister and I thought the Pod People had taken his brain)

But alas, now I see that I have shared my beloved batshit genes with him and we both cycle in the twinkle of an eye.

(Except for the last 2 days which I seem to be permanently down--well, maybe a little mixed shit going on, buit--)

I actually think the whole dx thing is just something to keep us busy so we won't climb up in a tower with a large caliper weapon.

The couch is my friend--for 2 days now--my friend needs me--

china

Guest Guest

I'll definitely do the mood journal thing. I've considered journaling before but always given up bc I'm not very emotionally expressive with words. It's awkward to write it down - I know I feel something I just don't know what it is. I think I'll make a spreadsheet with time rows and good/bad columns - that might be a good start.

Plus, I've asked other people, who tend to be able to evaluate my mood much easier than I can. For a long time I thought my mood was quite normal, yet everyone I surveyed recently said, "anything but... very excited or very gloomy, nothing in between".

Another recently-discovered fact--kids with any kind of BP cycle, on the whole, much more rapidly than adults. I used to watch my kid change from minute to minute--but of course, never knew till he was grown what it was (His sister and I thought the Pod People had taken his brain)

This is exactly what happens to me now (I'm 23) and has been the same for 10 yrs. But only with people I know really well.

Just wanted to clarify the above post was me, the original poster, just in case anyone didn't get that. Guess I should register sometime soon, huh? lol.

I had bouts of clinical depression from the age of about twelve or thirteen too, and also had a question of borderline hanging around for a while. Was finally diagnosed bipolar aged 23. Weirdly similar tales, huh?!

xx

That is interesting!

Anyway, thanks for responding everyone - I finally registered so I'm not a guest anymore icon12.gif

I guess I'll find out what's up next month. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist for the first time in like 5 years. Oh and the moodtracker thing -- great idea, but very restrictive.

• 5 weeks later...

I am a Bipolor with rapid cycling.I have PTSD and OCD.I have been in mental health treatment for over 12 yrs now.I also have CLL- Cronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. I have received treatment 5 times in my life and am currently getting transfusions once a week now to contain the latest threat. My oldest son passed away from Acute Lymphocytic in Feb 2006. I have three more boys who r at risk and getting near the age of worry.Needless to say my emotions r all over the place.I have nightmares when I do sleep but lately I am not sleeping...THE ONE THING THAT MAKES ME MOST STABLE IN MY LIFE IS HAVING CONTROL OF THINGS ..Right now I have none. Not on my health or my mind.My oncologist seems to think mental illness is just bullshit..and has yanked me off meds Ive spent yrs on. That has made me un-hinged..I am also on a medical card and in my state they r forcing everyone on an HMO which does not cover the place I have recieved mental health services at for 9 yrs.They seem to think I should just be happy someplace else.It is important to me to stay with the one who knows me ...If I gotta go explain my life one more time and play research pig to new meds I feel I may go postal...my brain is ticking like a bomb and I do not feel I should have to be in a hosp again in my life just cause some doc doesn't believe in mental illness and a state does not see the need for mental health treatment for someone on a medical card. If u ever wonder how strong u can be? I am tired of it all so I see no happy ending to this mess..Im coming uncaged

Okay, I want to reply to this but I live in the UK where we get s substandard but basically okay in places free health service, so I may be talking out of my ass.

1. Can you not demand another Oncologist? Like one who understands about mental illness?

2. Can you not accept that you're being moved onto a health card and thus will have to be reassessed mentally? I know it sucks dealing strangers and trying new meds etc etc. But I've been through five pdocs and moved country twice, and while it was crappy, that was life and I just had to suck it up and get on with it. These people might be better than the ones you deal with now. In any case you need what you need and throwing a tantrum about having the deal with different people is just going to block you from getting what you need.

3. I am sorry that you and your family are physically ill, it's really shitty.

Flame away.

Okay, I want to reply to this but I live in the UK where we get s substandard but basically okay in places free health service, so I may be talking out of my ass.

1. Can you not demand another Oncologist? Like one who understands about mental illness?

2. Can you not accept that you're being moved onto a health card and thus will have to be reassessed mentally? I know it sucks dealing strangers and trying new meds etc etc. But I've been through five pdocs and moved country twice, and while it was crappy, that was life and I just had to suck it up and get on with it. These people might be better than the ones you deal with now. In any case you need what you need and throwing a tantrum about having the deal with different people is just going to block you from getting what you need.

3. I am sorry that you and your family are physically ill, it's really shitty.

Flame away.

Hey thanks for responding..here where I am I do not have a choice about my Oncologist..Im stuck with this one..Trust me I've called..written, complained, and battled with them and the hosp, and the card and its a no go...Also where I am, which is in the middle of a hollor in no-where land , access to mental health is not a givin..U only have one choice which is the place I have been at for 9yrs..They will not take the HMO because it does not pay even half of what they charge.The state now wants me to go to the place they will cover..that place is 6 hrs one way...we are low income and one car..which my husband uses for work and college everyday..If he has to call in he has no job..no choice..So yes I'm moaning and bitching..This week is bad for me anyway--my son would have been 20 yesterday so my judgement is a little screwed this week..hell--this month..so everything seems like a mountain I just can't climb this time..but give me a min and I'll cycle..HE-HE

E--

According to the DSM-IV-TR, Bipolar II absolutely CANNOT have rapid cycling, and all rapid cyclers have to be diagnosed as BP1. Actually, BP1 entails having to have a full-on mania, so I guess we rapid cycling-but-not-quite-ever-fully-manic folks are left in a diagnostic hole! To say nothing of mixed states - I'm not even going to go there.

Not that the DSM means much to me, anyways. So in my opinion, BP2 can be rapid cycling (where you go from hypomania to normal or depressive very quickly). I have that situation too, and sometimes my cycling is ultradian (more than once a day). But I've never had a full-on mania.

PadmaSam--

I think I've beaten the "rapid cycling" jokes to death already. You're still free to make them though (we have other bicyclists on board here, too). I wish I could still train for competitive road racing, but apparently the past year, any sort of vigorous exercise pisses off my immune system and my brain gets taken over by a virus that fries it (and parts of my brain are permanently fried by it already).

cagedmanic--

I am genuinely sorry about your CLL diagnosis (and your losing a child to ALL). Unfortunately, many non-psychiatrists/neurologists don't understand how important MI meds are and just want to blindly yank patients off whatever med they feel might interfere with whatever meds they want to give you. I had doctors looking for cancer in me last year, and they were warning me I'd have to give up many aspects of my mental health (namely the meds) to get properly treated for it. Fortunately, there was no cancer (I'm a 30 year cancer timebomb, but that's another story).

I did, though, have a GI doctor who wanted to treat my dysmotility by yanking me off of Cymbalta and putting me on Zelnorm and/or Reglan. Zelnorm was very recently yanked off the US market due to sudden cardiac death reports, and I won't touch antidopamine drugs like Reglan with a 10-foot pole. Some of these docs just come off as totally having some sort of superiority complex with relation to their specialty (not just GI docs, other specialties, too).

Archived