CrazyBoards.org

I've been following internet links using the Wiki schizophrenia entry as a jump-off point and stumbled accross a lot of pages written by maverick scientists who all have different ways of treating schizophrenia that don't necessarily include medication. The theories are questionable - and I am not about to chuck away my pills - but I read something yesterday that has been intriguing me ever since. This guy, Dr Hoffer, claims to be able to diagnose schizophrenia very easily and one of his criteria is that the patient can usually "hear their own thoughts". Now, I believe this has been happening to me all my life, and never considered it abnormal. My thoughts are usually voiced inside my head with my own voice, although sometimes the accent changes according to my mood (I might be obsessed with BA Barracas, say, and think in his voice) and I hear other peoples' voices when I run through imaginary conversations with people I know. As opposed to a full audio hallucination, I can quite clearly tell that this is just my thought processes at work and not some demon/entity/thought transferance/whatever.

So, is this normal - anything to be worried about? I know sometimes it seems like I think too loudly and wish I could turn my head down, or wish I would stop obsessing over things and could stop my thoughts racing loudly in circles. But I've never seen it as a problem. Is this Dr Hoffer full of BS? He also goes into a lot of nutritional stuff that I've never heard about elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure it's normal. I can't say that with 100% certainty, but lots of people think verbally, and thinking in your own voice (and others', when reconstructing conversations) is a logical extension of that.

Maybe he's referring to hearing your own thoughts as if spoken outside your head?

It's always confusing and difficult to discuss "thoughts', "hearing" etc. due to imprecise language.

When you say you hear your thoughts, If you mean that you hear it as spoken words, then NO, that is not normal.

- Other times i just hear my voice commenting everything i see, and it is exhausting.

- ....very hard for me to understand "voices" some of them sound like the person I'm talking to.

These are all classic examples of hallucinations.

-...I get to feeling i can hear others thoughts...

This is an example of delusional thinking

- while there are those in the psychic world who say that an empathic person can do this [hear others thoughts], well-it would not be my first thought.

Good on you for not believing this. Psychic powers do not exist. It is not possible to read peoples minds.

I would strongly urge you to call your pdoc and tell him exactly what you have discussed here. Print out your post and give it to your doc as an ice breaker. It is very important to not allow this sort of symptoms to go on since they tend to get worse. Fortunately there is a wide selection of meds that can help control these symptoms.

Don't keep this a secret. Tell your pdoc.

Best, a.m.

It's always confusing and difficult to discuss "thoughts', "hearing" etc. due to imprecise language.

When you say you hear your thoughts, If you mean that you hear it as spoken words, then NO, that is not normal.

Really. I always hear my thoughts. They are in my voice.

I'm pretty sure it's normal. I can't say that with 100% certainty, but lots of people think verbally, and thinking in your own voice (and others', when reconstructing conversations) is a logical extension of that.

Rehearsing conversations, reviewing conversations, what should have or shouldn't have been said, comments to self,

comments barely being kept to self, etc., etc. Like one kid complained, "My brain just won't shut up!"

Maybe he's referring to hearing your own thoughts as if spoken outside your head?

I think that might be a key distinction - believing or perceiving such thoughts as originating from outside yourself and not in

culturally-accepted circumstances (trance, religious ecstasy, chemically-induced states, etc.) where such would normally

be expected.

I have DID and sometimes the inner chatter gets pretty distracting. I have always felt that I could hear my own thoughts. I "talk" to myself in my head as well as outloud ;)

I cannot imagine what NOT hearing your own thoughts would be like????

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good on you for not believing this. Psychic powers do not exist. It is not possible to read peoples minds.

Thanks for the comment "It is not possible to read peoples minds" I have the problem of others reading my mind... I hate it! I know they can't but it hard to deal with just the same... When I see comments like this it is very helpful to me... so thanks again!

Back on topic...

Hearing your internal voice I think is normal... I however sometime hear my thoughts before I think them, it really very strange! But when I do hear my thoughts its not the same as the normal internal voice I believe we all have... (I think we all have?)

Hope im making a little sence here...

BTW: hello everyone... my first post here. I have been lurking for about 2 years now and I want to say thank you to everyone here! I don't know how I would have made this far if it were not for this board as a support site... I am paranoid schizophrenic on a little dose of 5mg of abilify reduced from 30mg over a period... I don't think this is enough but doc likes keeping things low... also take 100mg Zoloft for anixety and it seems to work wonders masking it... thank god for drugs!

Archived