CrazyBoards.org

Sleeplessness of my son

Guest Guest_maria_*

Guest Guest_maria_*

My son is almost 14 years old and has trouble sleeping at night and sometimes is up until 2 am then next morning is very difficult to waken.

Has anyone out there found this to be a problem ?

My son is almost 14 years old and has trouble sleeping at night and sometimes is up until 2 am then next morning is very difficult to waken.

Has anyone out there found this to be a problem ?

My son had the same problem. The doctor recommended melatonin and its worked great. Check with you son's doc.

My son is the same way. Of course he doesn't see this as a problem. He is 18 and knows EVERYTHING you see. ;)

So anyway, Yeah. You are not alone. He could just be wired to be a night owl. Not helpful when they have to be at school at 7:00am.

There are ways to reset your body clock using lights. Just Google sleep cycles.

If you have insurance, have him checked out. If one of his parents has a mental illness, he could have a mild form that makes his sleep all messed up (something we suspect about our oldest). Good sleep hygene is going to be important at his age. Good luck getting his cooperation.

Guest adam holly

I had the same problem with my son and now he is on the quick acting. I search out a product DermaSleep in internet and tried a suitable course for my son. I found his eating and sleeping are more manageable. You may read about their product at www.dermasleep.com I did a bit of correspondence with them before trying.

My 14 year old daughter is up late every night, too.

She believes she's just wired to be a night person. She says it's why she's so pale. Needing to stay out of the light and all...

The reasoning of a teenager. But who knows.

I hesitate to consider any kind of drugs for her, although I, too, was a lifelong insomniac. I'm on Seroquel now and it puts me out, but it's also for my BP disorder. I just don't know. I hate to think about meds at her age...

For now, I try to get her into bed at midnight, lights out, all her nightly business finished...but she's still awake in her room, drawing with a flashlight on or whatever. What can you do?

It's a very well-known fact that teenagers and 20somethings have a delayed sleep/wake cycle. Likely something to do with a developing brain being slow to react to light cues.

It doesn't help that most public high schools (in the US) tend to start classes around 7:30 AM... which would feel like approximately 3:30 AM for someone with a relatively "normal" sleep schedule.

I still have the problem residually, and have to take a stimulant in the morning and a knockout pill at night to force me awake and asleep, respectively. And I'm 23. Though note that by my age, many people have their rhythms returning to normal.

yes, herr is right, this is a common problem for people in this age group. i had it when i was a bit younger, but i had puberty pretty young too. thankfully now i sleep like a baby through anything.

does he get enough exercise? maybe burning up his energy would help him sleep. meletonin is a good suggestion. i've used it before and it worked for me. there's also an RX out there that doesn't cause dependency that works alright for most people.

it doesn't make sense that teenagers have the earliest school times when they are naturally wired to be awake later and sleep later. my ex husband did research on that and i think he did a good job in proving that in younger kids, the sleep patterns allow them to get up earlier naturallly. it is a shame that the school systems have it backwards. kids can't concentrate their best when they haven't slept.

has he tried meditation? maybe a guy his age would think it is new age bull, but it works really, really well to put me to sleep if i can't sleep. it puts me right out. it is easy to learn for anyone.

I'm 16 and have had the same problem, though somewhat more severely, for the past three years. My sleep cycle was delayed to the point where I was nocturnal and because I had to go to school I ended up sleeping about 3 hours a night. Now I can barely sleep at all, I think it's related to my depression and anxiety. Being a teenager the doctors won't give me any effective sleeping medication or stimulants and I have tried everything but just can't even get out of bed anymore. I am so tired. I'm considering suicide so I can just sleep forever. I hate being consious with a passion. My head feels like it weighs a ton and I just want to collapse and drift off to sleep but can't.

Maybe your son could try melatonin to wind back the circadian rythm.

Archived