CrazyBoards.org

Why would you want to hang out on a support forum if you've recovered from the condition that brought you there in the first place? That's just morbid.

People with episodic conditions generally quit showing up when they recover.

Blands, normies, and neurotypcials tend to do one of the following: bore me, frustrate me, piss me off or make me cry. I think most others here agree. It's not by omission that there is little room for such people here. In fact, it's here that they are omitted.

What I find inspiring is the idea of a world without any goddamn peppy people in it.

How about a pony?

Why would you want to hang out on a support forum if you've recovered from the condition that brought you there in the first place? That's just morbid.

People with episodic conditions generally quit showing up when they recover.

Blands, normies, and neurotypcials tend to do one of the following: bore me, frustrate me, piss me off or make me cry. I think most others here agree. It's not by omission that there is little room for such people here. In fact, it's here that they are omitted.

What I find inspiring is the idea of a world without any goddamn peppy people in it.

How about a pony?

hey. how come you never offered me a pony??

yeah, I want a pony dammit!

Some people who are more or less recovered might stay to keep gathering knowledge and building resources for future recurrences, or stay to help people because they were helped by the forum and want to give some back. That's more or less where I'm at.

A lot of recovery isn't getting better in steps, but finding out what doesn't work and moving on. A lot of that happens here. It just doesn't look like recovery.

I could talk more about my own recovery, but it's boring. It's an absence of mental illness and a presence of other things, like schoolwork and finding a new apartment and stuff. I like to think I've managed the transition without becoming bland and boring, though. ;)

I like the way the cursor turns to a little brush when you point at it.

edit: And not to sound grim or anything, but personally, I've accepted the fact that this is the way I will always be. It is what it is.

I think the key word in PadmaSam's original post was overcoming not recovered. As VE said, once people have recovered, most tend to lose interest and wander off: not all - some will stick around and try to help others with their experiences, but most won't.

Overcoming our issues is a long slow process, and maybe there is some room for people to specifically share things that are working fro them right now.

VE: How about a pony?

When I saw the pony start to lift its tail, I expected manure to come out. Guess I've been around livestock too long. ;)

a.m.

a pony that poops the medication of our choice??

excellent.

too bad, drug companies. we have a pony now.

• 4 weeks later...

In my mind, it's not about success, as if recovering was something you could 'achieve'. I acknowledge that many people on here put in a lot of hard work to function at the level that they do. But to have a 'success stories' board suggests to me that some lucky ones pulled off being happy and having a life while the rest of us didn't, and that would just make me feel resentful and belittled. Besides, as other people have mentioned here before, many people here are suffering from lifelong chronic conditions that aren't ever going away.

I have to admit to some hesitation for a "success story" board. I'm pretty high functioning - I've raised two boys (one with BP as well), kept a job with a large corporation for almost 10 years, I volunteer with several organizations and I've been married for 17 years.

I'm not "recovered", though. I'm still BPI, I still have anxiety issues and if I'm not careful I will implode. I have simply had 25 years to learn how to deal.

Sometimes I think the only measure of success in this game is survival.

I have BP and ADHD. I am them, they are me- the three of us are stuck together for the remainder of my life. While I'll never be "recovered" I am definitely well-managed and have been for years. I only stop by this site every few months or so.

I don't think it is morbid to do so. Mental illness is an important topic to me and I don't get to discuss it much in the "real" world. It is nice to read people who know what I've experienced. Even though I haven't had a bad episode in years, this site is still important to me. I like to come here and look around and provide a little moral support. I also know that it is very possible that I will be back here as a regular someday. But so far, so good.

But to have a 'success stories' board suggests to me that some lucky ones pulled off being happy and having a life while the rest of us didn't, and that would just make me feel resentful and belittled.

Some of us crazies ARE living as happy people. I do have down periods, but more times than not, I'm happy. It IS possible. By the very nature of this site most people hang out here when they are feeling awful. I certainly did, and you have been wonderful to me. I think if the only people who visit this site are people who are going through awful times, then it becomes really easy to think that everyone with these illnesses are always going through awful times. Now THAT is depressing.

Oh yeah, I originally had a point. (Hey, I'm ADHD, what did you expect?) I don't think a Success Story board is such a bad idea. Except I don't think of it as a "success" board, more like a "managing pretty well, considering" board.

I'm just a ray of fucking sunshine, aren't I? Oh well...

Archived