CrazyBoards.org

Finally ready

Six days ago I went to the ER to get an emergency prescription for antidepressants because I've stopped seeing any psychiatrists/therapists in the last 5 years but the depression snuck up on me and hit me all of a sudden. On top of that, I couldn't get a real pdoc appointment for another month. That same day when the pharmacy filled my prescription they gave me Budeprion rather than Wellbutrin. Confused, I started doing some research online. I had previously been on bupropion, but I had never heard of Budeprion. Somehow that search got me here!

My mood shifts started around age 12, and at 14 I was diagnosed with depression (following a couple traumatic events). I had no response to any medication or therapy for a couple years and I gained 60 pounds and lost nearly half of my hair from Depakote (and I was only on it for 3 months). At 17 I had extreme mood shift(s) from severe depression to what I assume was an episode of mania (can't remember if it was once or more though). I was taking Wellbutrin 2x a day at 150mg morning and 100mg at night I think, but I don't remember what other meds I was on.

At 18 (college) my moods were finally stabilized (read: mild depression, with occassional angry outbursts at roommates) with Wellbutrin and Topamax -- both 100 mg 1x a day, I think. I don't remember at what point I stopped taking my medicine, or if I just took it on and off whenever I was down or up, but I stopped seeing my psychiatrist -- who moved (but left me with a shitload of samples and prescriptions)-- a long time ago. Most of college was normal or "hypomanic" -- sleeping less than 5 hours a night, taking more classes than necessary for graduation/full-time status, playing on a a varsity traveling sports team, member of various clubs, in addition to partying 1-5 nights a week, depending. Oh yeah, and studying -- for 10+ hours at a time. Sometimes with friends. hmm, now I wonder about them!

Now I am in grad school and have been experiencing mild depression for the past 1+ year. Not too bothersome, so whatever, I just ignored it and told myself I just needed to go to the gym more often or stop being lazy. Past month, and especially past couple of weeks have been much worse. Rapid decline in mood in addition to much more shifting between extreme moods than before. I think that's enough for now, just wanted to say hello, I'll post my symptoms next time!

Thanks! I'm sleeping less, which is awesome. I had been sleeping over 11 hours a night, go out for 2 hours, and then need a nap again. Now I'm back down to a regular amount. That's the only change, though. That started pretty much right away after I started taking it, so maybe some more time for it to kick in?

Edit: also been having really vivid dreams & more anxiety

Archived