CrazyBoards.org

I've just started taking Topamax as an anti-seizure med (temporal lobe epilepsy), a sleep med, a stabilizer, and an alcohol deterrant. The part I have a question about is the alcohol - can Topamax really help with alcohol cravings? I really feel that the last few days I haven't wanted a drink as badly. But that could be psychological or it could be that I just feel better overall. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, in most people. I saw a research study about this from PubMed -- alcoholics took increasing doses of Topamax starting with 50 mg and ending with 300 mg. Results showed that, on average, they decreased their drinking by 3 drinks (I think) and they also drank less frequently. Personally, I was still drinking 4+ drinks, 3x a week on Topamax, but then again, I wasn't trying to stop, or anything ;) .

i was on about 75mg topa and going up when i had my 28th birthday. it was my theme to "celebrate the anniversary of my 21st bday", so i set out to drink like it was 1999. unfortunately for me, there was topa. after only 1 drink i thought i'd be best friends wtih the toilet. i wasn't only smashed out of my mind, i was also sick like crazy. i couldn't move without wanting to throw up.

that stopped any and all drinking i ever wanted to do while on topa. before that, i didn't have an alcohol problem per se, but i would drink too much (binge) at times and get into situations i didn't need or want to be in. with topa, i stayed totally sober and in control. it was actually a good feeling.

now, topa made me manic, and i tore up the town with my credit cards and swanky self. lucky i saved my receipts because i had a lot to take back to the stores when i came down. but yeah, it worked REALLY, REALLY WELL for any alcohol issues i had.

now i limit myself to 2 (i'm 110lbs) and am disciplined about drinking. i think topa taught me that.

so go for it.

Archived