And I am still awake...

4 valerians

3mg melatonin

1 imovane

5mg ambien

50mg doxylamine

10mg zyprexa

AND I AM STILL FUCKING AWAKE!!!!

What can I do? What other meds are there out there? I know seroquel and trazodone but pdoc isn't too keen on it. I had to twist his arm for a the imovane 10-tabs-no-repeat script cos he got convinced that it can't be worse than me drinking myself to sleep.

Argh!

I don't know why your pdoc is so against Seroquel or trazodone. Maybe ask him/her about Remeron, that's another sleepy antidepressant (and unlike Seroquel, it won't directly dork with your blood sugar, though it will give you carb cravings to absolute holy hell).

As for sleep, Dalmane (flurazepam) seems to be working very well for me (it's been about 3 weeks in). It's an older benzo with a built in smooth titrate-on, smoothe taper-off kinetics (meaning you can stop it cold turkey and generally not have rebound insomnia, well at least for a couple nights!). It has a reputation for "pooping out" very quickly, though I can't seem to see that (yet, at least).

BTW, the doxylamine you're taking does excite (instead of sedate) some people. Similar to diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in that respect.

Also, melatonin is generally known to initiate sleep rather well, but not maintain sleep, especially deep, non-dream sleep. I personally can't use it since all it gives me is fitful, sweaty, twilight sleep and within a week of regularly using it, depression.

And about the valerian, are you taking the capsules? I find making tea out of the herb (you'd have to find dried crushed valerian root) works a lot better than those capsules. Same with ginger for nausea.

[EDIT: Deleted statement about valerian potentially causing liver damage. Although this may be possible, I've found no research to that effect.]

I don't know why your pdoc is so against Seroquel or trazodone. Maybe ask him/her about Remeron, that's another sleepy antidepressant (and unlike Seroquel, it won't directly dork with your blood sugar, though it will give you carb cravings to absolute holy hell).

He is on Remeron already, isn't he - it's in his meds list. Seroquel seems like a reasonable thing to try at this point in time. I have not noticed any ill effects with the low sleep-inducing doses, and it still works after almost two years - but only if I go to bed when actually sleepy and/or it's my sleep time (which tends to be late), not when I think I 'should'.

i take traz for both sleep and depression, and it works great for sleep. not so well for depression.

well, it did work, then it kinda stopped recently. all of them did at once. but it still makes me sleepy as can be. i have to wait to take it till i am ready to crash.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I already take Remeron. And no, it doesn't help me sleep.

Last night I took so much crap that when I finally managed to fall asleep, I woke up hungover, and ended up sleeping most of my Sunday away.

Pdoc just put me on Imovane after Ambien poop-out. It seems to work, but not as well as when Ambien worked.

raining

i used to be an insomniac, until i got myself back on a normal sleep pattern through non-medicinal means. that doesn't mean it will work for everyone or that you'll even be interested in trying it, but it worked for me and i'd recommend trying it, at least trying it for a week.

i just burnt up my energy during the day with a lot of physical effort, and meditated before i wanted to go to bed. my meditation can be so boring that it crashes me right out. even when i'm hypo/manic, i can force sleep with meditation most of the time. now, if i'm in a mood state it doesn't mean i'll stay asleep, but i will get to sleep.

seroquel gave me night terrors and a hangover in the morning. and i ate everything in sight. it is hard on your body too- like zyprexa but NOT to such a huge extent, it is known to encourage diabetes. i'd think twice before going there.

traz made me sleep, but i couldn't drive the next day i was so zonked, and that was bad ;)

a nice massage might help you get sleepy, and maybe your drugs could push you into sleep.

Archived