CrazyBoards.org

wait... WHAT did you call me?!?!?!

I was explaining "neurotypicality" vs. autism as a spectrum to my parents. My archetypes of the extremes of neurotypicality and autism were respectively Paris Hilton and autistic savant du jour who was capable of playing on the piano any piece from the Baroque era but still couldn't articulate anything out loud.

As I speak of the above, note that it's a psychological and/or scientific discussion. I have a lot of discussions in these areas with my parents, though rarely about neurotypicality vs. autism. Mom is very into pure psych/sociology and Dad is a scientist by career. Almost needless to say, they're way more NT than I am (me being a full-on diagnosed Aspie and them having a couple of autistic traits, respectively).

One evening (sometime last week), my father (the more rational of the two parents) informed me that I sounded "mentally retarded" when I used the term "neurotypical". As if someone of his intelligence (overall, he comprehends language far better than I do) would judge me that way. My mother agreed, for what it's worth... from the background I heard "neurotypicality... yeah he does sound like a retard!"

Now, nothing against the 'officially' mentally retarded. For what it's worth, my "task IQ" (ability to execute complicated tasks) was estimated around 60-80, which is in the mildly mentally retarded range. I did inform my parents of this at that time. (FYI, to make any auties/Aspies here feel better, my pure verbal IQ was 160, though don't expect that out of me while I'm having a neurological attack.)

That was the first time I'd cried since I'd gotten fired back in November 2005.

I don't use the word "neurotypical" (or even discuss autism) with them any more for fear of them taking their opinion of me one further notch down.

Too bad FBM&D offers excellent interest-free loans, otherwise I'd have cut them off by now.

[/ranting]

i honestly have to admit...i didn't follow this, i kept thinking 'why are they saying that? are they stupid? i don't get this, why would someone say that, there's no logic there....'

i came away totally baffled by your rents and wondering about their respective IQs/mental abilities, because, quite frankly, they don't make sense to me!!

i honestly have to admit...i didn't follow this, i kept thinking 'why are they saying that? are they stupid? i don't get this, why would someone say that, there's no logic there....'

i came away totally baffled by your rents and wondering about their respective IQs/mental abilities, because, quite frankly, they don't make sense to me!!

it's well known that I bitch on here about my parents being idiots when it comes to common sense ;)

academically, Dad's the smarter of the two, though he admits to being a "mediocre" scientist.

::::pssttt::::

I think Fous was adopted :)

Sometimes I like to think that, but I share too many MI traits with my parents (Intermittent Explosive Disorder and MDD with Mom, and scientific Aspieness w/social issues with Dad), that adoption by them is unlikely. ;) Plus, I look like a good cross between Mom and Dad (but mostly like Mom).

i think he was hatched by aliens....

offer only valid if the alien's name was Kryon...

[/obscure]

Archived