CrazyBoards.org

why is it that.....

.... my doctor (actually a nurse practitioner) has never asked me if i need to take benzos? i have the annoying combo of ADD with some anxiety. i'm on concerta now and i feel more productive and clear-headed than i have in years..... but, i am afraid to tell her that i've started smoking pot again, mostly because even though i feel active and aware and all that fun stuff (and i've gotten up enough energy to start working out on a regular basis, finally!!!) ..... i still feel edgy as hell. i didn't want to start smoking pot again, but last week i had a few drinks of whiskey at night, then i had another lower back spasm on thursday (probably due to stress)..... so i'm convinced that i really should be on ativan or klonopin to moderate that. what do i have to say to convince her?? it's frustrating. up to this point every time i have anxiety symptoms we just talk about changing my dosage or switching to a different antidepressant. are benzos really that bad?

maybe i just need to call her and say, hi, i need an ativan prescription, please. i used to take ativan (also xanax and klonopin, not at the same time of course) in college for anxiety, so should it be such a big deal to ask for them again? it would certainly help in keeping me from smoking pot again.

• 3 weeks later...

.... my doctor (actually a nurse practitioner) has never asked me if i need to take benzos? i have the annoying combo of ADD with some anxiety. i'm on concerta now and i feel more productive and clear-headed than i have in years..... but, i am afraid to tell her that i've started smoking pot again, mostly because even though i feel active and aware and all that fun stuff (and i've gotten up enough energy to start working out on a regular basis, finally!!!) ..... i still feel edgy as hell. i didn't want to start smoking pot again, but last week i had a few drinks of whiskey at night, then i had another lower back spasm on thursday (probably due to stress)..... so i'm convinced that i really should be on ativan or klonopin to moderate that. what do i have to say to convince her?? it's frustrating. up to this point every time i have anxiety symptoms we just talk about changing my dosage or switching to a different antidepressant. are benzos really that bad?

maybe i just need to call her and say, hi, i need an ativan prescription, please. i used to take ativan (also xanax and klonopin, not at the same time of course) in college for anxiety, so should it be such a big deal to ask for them again? it would certainly help in keeping me from smoking pot again.

Sounds like a good idea. Tell her/him that you are experiencing intense anxiety.

Isn't the pot cheaper and with fewer potential side effects?

Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but as uptight as doctors are about prescribing benzos, I often wonder why people don't just opt for weed.

Well, there is the illegality thing, but look at what people go through who have a legitimate need for medication??

Anyway...I will get off my soapbox but leave you with this...

http://opioids.com/hydrocodone/painpolice.html

I hasn't been my experience that doctors ask if I think I should be on a particular med. I explain my symptoms and they describe my med options. Benzos aren't really that bad, but they have a bad reputation, so a lot of doctors will avoid them.

All that said, most of my doctors have been pretty responsive when I've done some research and suggest a particular med. Your doctor/nurse can't read your mind. If you think you need a benzo, then you need to tell him/her. Given that you've taken them before, this should be a pretty easy conversation.

Isn't the pot cheaper and with fewer potential side effects?

Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but as uptight as doctors are about prescribing benzos, I often wonder why people don't just opt for weed.

Well, there is the illegality thing, but look at what people go through who have a legitimate need for medication??

Anyway...I will get off my soapbox but leave you with this...

http://opioids.com/hydrocodone/painpolice.html

Pot may have some benefits but for most people with mental illness chronic use is not a good thing. It can induce more anxiety, panic attacks and psychotic symptoms not to mention mood swings.

It is an individual thing of course.....

Pot may have some benefits but for most people with mental illness chronic use is not a good thing. It can induce more anxiety, panic attacks and psychotic symptoms not to mention mood swings.

It is an individual thing of course.....

I agree!!! It affects me really badly (or at least differently). I'm way more depressed for up to a month afterwards even after using it once. And while high, it doesn't relax me, it gives me anxiety/paranoia/mania/psychosis/depression/otherstuff - usually depending on my original mood - that doesn't go away for hours.

Archived