CrazyBoards.org

switching klonopin over on to valium

Guest spiderman

Guest spiderman

hi i am trying to switch over to valium from klonopin after a failed few days on ativan. how long does it take before the valium will work so that i sleep through the night? i seem to wake up and on the klonopin it wasnt like a deep sleep but i wouldnt wake up entirely. the valium seems better at getting meto sleep and it does relieve the anxiety but now i am waking up. i thought it lasted longer, is that true? will it get better after a few days since i was on klonopin for a few years? i only did ativan for 4 days and it just wasnt good.

what is the regular dose of valium? i have 10mg 2x per day, is that good? i was on up to 3mg of klonopin per day, 2 at night and then maybe 1 during the day broken up.

it should work immediately

the problem with any of those is tolerance. they tend to get less effective over time and I think cross tolerance can be an issue, so if you've developed a tolerance to klonopin it can make valium less effective as well.

It's been my experience that benzos kick ass for anxiety but they aren't the best thing when it comes to a regular sleep med.

You're on a lot of Valium. How much Valium does it take to knock you out?

Ativan never worked for my sleep. I took 8mg Ativan one night with 2mg of Xanax and was still wide alert and awake. Klonopin, for me, is not a knock-out drug, but it does help me sleep much much better (and fall asleep much much more easily - it just relaxes me entirely). Klonopin is my ultimate fallback if nothing else makes me sleep that night. I find 1 to 2mg's to be effective.

The **best** sleep I've ever gotten was with Temazepam (Restoril). I was Rx'ed 10mg nocte reluctantly by my GP who first gave me by depression (pre-BP) dx. I needed 20mg but the sleep was fantastic, and you wake up relaxed and easy. For about three very dark, dark days I was on a temazepam-induced coma. Basically I was feeling so bad that once I woke up, i took more temaze to get back to sleep. I think it did save my life.

Have you tried Ambien? My reasoning is that if they'll give you benzo's they'll gladly give you Ambien. Ambien was wonderful stuff (when it worked for me). Complete knockout with no hangovers. I took 5mg for a nudge to sleep and 10mg for a knockout. I think chronic Ambien use would be better than chronic benzo-use. Though Ambien has a short half-life so you might wake up in the middle of the night. A re-dose or Ambien CR would set you right, I reckon.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Raining

Archived