CrazyBoards.org

adding wellbutrin to the mix

So my zoloft has pretty much quit working...I could be taking baby asprin now for all the good its doing me. I finall had an appt with my dr yesterday, and rather than having me switch meds like I thought we would be doing, she wants me to start taking 150mg of Wellbutrin along with the 200mg of Zoloft I am already taking.

Has anyone tried this before? Just adding a new med to one that isn't working so well to try and boost it? I have to say I do feel a little suspicious about it, but since I have to go on medical leave from work again, I guess I at least have the time to try it out.

The meds are to control panic disorder in case anyone needs to know.

i kinda did it the other way around, but yes, and it did work (but not enough yet). i started with the wellbutrin just to get me the hell out of bed and moving, then effexor to try and relieve the other depressive and anxious symptoms.

i know you'll hear a lot that wellbutrin is activating for a lot of folks, and can make you MORE panicky. so be careful. but in my experience, it was the exact opposite. wellbutrin first made me supertired and stoned, then moved into a groovy place where it lessens my social avoidance (yay!) and gives me some motivation to stay out of bed.

you'll get a little different mileage from SR and XL versions. i much prefer XL - no mood drop in mid-afternoon.

good luck.

-dictus

If I were you I'd want off the Zoloft. 200mg is a high dose isn't it? Sounds like it's not doing it's job. Because you say Zoloft *was* working for you before I think switching to another SSRI (eg: Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, Celexa or Luvox) or SNRI (eg: Effexor-XR, Cymbalta). Wellbutrin is the stimulating antidepressant so it is likely to worsen your anxiety. It could be worth a try but I really think you should stop taking Zoloft if your on 200mg and it's not working.

The meds are to control panic disorder in case anyone needs to know.

I am on Zoloft (100mg) as well as Wellbutrin XL (450mg) for depression but I did it the other way around (started with wellbutrin then added the zoloft, long story). To answer your concern-- SSRIs like zoloft are often augmented by a different class of Ads, like adding wellbutrin-it works for a lot of people, so give it a try! The only concern that I would have would be that wellbutrin can sometimes increase anxiety, as others have mentioned (it's more of a stimulant kind of AD) so I'd just keep a close eye on any changes and keep up with your doctor (it's great to keep a little mood journal when you're making subtle switches in meds like this, so you have an accurate record when you talk to your doctor).

If wellbutrin for some reason isn't the right med for you, then I'd bring up switching to a different SSRI to your doctor, since a lot of times if one works for you, then you'll be able to find more that do also. You have a LOT of options within the SSRI class, which is awesome because if they do nothing for you (like me, bleh, zoloft could be a sugar pill in my experience) then you're med switching gets a bit tougher. I'd give the wellbutrin a fair try, but don't worry if it's not the right one for you, you still have plenty of options--goodluck!

meg

Archived