CrazyBoards.org

Could this be a type of seizure?

My friend had a weird experience Saturday evening, and from reading some of the info on this board, some of it sounds like it might have been a type of seizure. I'm just wondering what you guys think. I know that posting for or about other people generally isn't a good idea, but she's ok with me asking about this for her. Still, if I'm out of line, just let me know: dunce:

Here's what happened. Saturday evening around 7pm, she hadn't been feeling well all day and was taking a nap on the sofa. Her son started crying and woke her up, so she walked upstairs and went into the master bedroom to wake her husband. She turned on the overhead light, which is connected to a ceiling fan, and all of a sudden the room looked as if it was filled with fog, and then everything went gray, and the grayness started closing in (tunnel vision effect) and that's when she told her husband that she was going to pass out. And then she passed out. He freaked and tried to wake her up-shook her, splashed water on her, etc.-none of which did anything.

A minute or so later, long enough for her husband to check on the little guy in the next room and then come back, she woke up on her own, was irritable (yelled at husband for waking her up) and scared (couldn't remember at first what had happened, hands shaking, nervous laughing and then crying). When she tried to stand up, she felt nauseas and lightheaded. While she was unconscious, she lost control of her bladder, so she crawled to the bathroom, because she still couldn't stand, and while she was waiting for the bath to fill so she could clean up, her left leg started twitching. That lasted a few minutes.

She's had problems with low blood pressure before, so at first she thought she just got up from her nap too fast and running up the stairs made her lightheaded, but when she thought about it more, she felt ok until she turned on the light and fan. Even now, a couple of days later, looking at a fan makes her feel lightheaded and her vision blurry. On Sunday she felt anxious and panicky for no apparent reason. Also lethargic and somewhat disoriented. On Monday, she was still lightheaded and nauseas, enough that she couldn't get out of bed and had to stay home from work. Today, she's back at work, but still dizzy and lightheaded and nauseas with blurred vision off and on.

Her blood pressure has been higher than normal, at least since last Thursday (140-150/90-100). I know high blood pressure can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and blurred vision, but can it cause loss of consciousness, loss of bladder control? Can high blood pressure trigger a seizure if there isn't a previous history of seizures?

She made an appointment to see her neurologist, but her husband doesn't think she should mention the loss of bladder control. I really think she should. It seems like an important symptom.

She has MS, so a lot of what happened, especially the twitching leg, could be attributed to that. She doesn't have a history of epilepsy or seizures. She takes Betaseron for MS, plus Cymbalta, Provigil, Ambien CR, Vicodin as needed for pain and Xanax as needed for anxiety. She's been on anticonvulsants in the past for migraine headaches (gabapentin and topamax), but not recently. She's really worried about this, since it's a brand new set of symptoms that she's never experienced before.

i would wager that it's related to the MS, but the neurologist needs to hear all about it -- every detail, including the loss of bladder control. since her husband saw what happened, he should come along to the appointment to help describe. i'm curious, though: why would he not want her to mention the bladder bit? it would seem kind of important.

Thanks for the reply. She saw her neurologist who said that it could pretty much be anything from anemia to a seizure or an exacerbation of the MS. She had a mess of blood work done on Tuesday and today she's getting an EEG (EKG? the one that measures electrical activity in the brain) and MRI. FWIW, she seemed better yesterday, more like herself.

Her husband did go to the neurologist appointment and was able to confirm stuff like she was really irritable after she woke up. I think he didn't want to mention the loss of bladder control because he sees it as embarrassing, but I don't believe in embarrassing when it comes to talking to docs and I think my friend is the same. The embarrassing stuff is probably what the doc needs to hear first.

Anyway, I feel better now that she's feeling better. *fingers crossed that it's nothing serious*

Archived