CrazyBoards.org

Remote Connect - Mac OSX 10.3.9

OK...only have a month to set up working from home so I can stay with Max over Summer vacation. I have tried off and on over the past week to get our work computer to connect to the home computer (a new laptop will be added to the mix shortly). I can't just transfer files over FTP since I need to get logos, images, old files etc...

So I am trying remote connect.

In Finder, under the GO menu, I go to CONNECT TO SERVER

I then type in the IP address* in the SERVER ADDRESS WINDOW

Technically I should be able to them connect to the home computer. Instead it just keeps timing out.

Am I missing something?

Can you point me to a website that has "Captain Dummy Talk" versions of how to do this?? All the sites I have found skip steps and I keep getting lost.

Do I HAVE to go in to Terminal and do it that way? (Not sure why this intimidates me, but it does.)

*I used an IP ADDRESS finder to get the actual IP address and not the internal router IP address.

*I used an IP ADDRESS finder to get the actual IP address and not the internal router IP address.

If it's behind a router, doing that will get it as far as the router and then get stuck, unless you tell the router to forward whatever ports it needs to connect to the correct computer connected to it. It should tell you which ones those are in the firewall settings in System Preferences, since to turn on any service like ftp or anything else, it has to allow the proper ports through the firewall. Then you have to tell the router to forward those ports to that computer's internal IP address, the process of which varies between routers.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by Remote Connect. If you mean Remote Login or whatever they call ssh, that won't help you move files around or anything, and ftp would be more useful, since that actually lets you transfer files back and forth, and that's all your list of things seems to involve. If you really want to be able to do everything remotely, you need to use Apple Remote Desktop or something like that.

:)

Back in the day when dinosaurs roamed free and I was using system 7.5, you used to dial in to the network using remote access and it would be just like connecting to an ethernet network. You would see all the drives and could look up files on a remote network...either on the computer or a connected external. Pull up a costumer's old Quark file (or course, you would go make a cup of coffee waiting for it to connect), make changes, and save it back to the original location. I need to do that again.

On our particular network there are 2 computers at work, one external drive with clip art, etc.. and one with customer files. Templates are on the hard drive the externals are connected to. I need to get in to everything. :cussing:

Is ARD what I now need to be able to do that? ;)

(Dear computer dorks of the world. I am getting old. Stop making me learn new software programs. My brain is full. Thank you.)

You'd probably be fine with FTP or AFP (listed as Personal File Sharing, I think), if you just want to be able to move files back and forth. ARD is for doing way more than that, like controlling/viewing the computer over the network. You can just turn on AFP, forward the ports if necessary, and have access to whatever drives/volumes you would if you were physically at the computer, which is probably easier and faster if all you need is access to files and not the ability to run programs remotely and stuff.

I am getting stuck at te router level, but have not had time to look up the router information. I don't even remember the last time I had to access the damn thing.

So basically I know what I need to do, you dreading doing it ;)

Archived