CrazyBoards.org

I have just been diagnosed with DID

Yesterday I was officially diagnosed with DID and I'm developing the new personalities at a very quick rate. Just a few weeks ago I had just 4 personalities. Now I have AT LEAST 7. Two new ones developed today and one over the last weekend. My personalities are a 5 year old kid, an alien, a robot, a bird, a 87 year old woman, a 50 year old man, and someone who is always confused. I'm scared that I will not know who I am anymore because the other personalities take over my life. Some of them as mentioned in another post that I did, can't communicate in English. The alien and the bird speaks in a completely different language. I am also scared that I will develop a very dangerous and aggressive personality that is violent toward others. Then I'm afraid that I will need to be put away at that point. How do you deal with being diagnosed with DID? How often do your personalities pop up and does it take over your life? Are you ever yourself? Do you go to school or have a job while having DID? Is there a medication for DID? What kind of therapy helps with it? Has therapy helped you any?

Yesterday I was officially diagnosed with DID and I'm developing the new personalities at a very quick rate. Just a few weeks ago I had just 4 personalities. Now I have AT LEAST 7. Two new ones developed today and one over the last weekend. My personalities are a 5 year old kid, an alien, a robot, a bird, a 87 year old woman, a 50 year old man, and someone who is always confused. I'm scared that I will not know who I am anymore because the other personalities take over my life. Some of them as mentioned in another post that I did, can't communicate in English. The alien and the bird speaks in a completely different language. I am also scared that I will develop a very dangerous and aggressive personality that is violent toward others. Then I'm afraid that I will need to be put away at that point. How do you deal with being diagnosed with DID? How often do your personalities pop up and does it take over your life? Are you ever yourself? Do you go to school or have a job while having DID? Is there a medication for DID? What kind of therapy helps with it? Has therapy helped you any?

You kind of got me lost how you just had 4, @ dx, and you were certain?

Now quickly after dx, develop more?

What does therapist say?

Is this due to DID, personalities, or due to something else?

I am in DBT group at McLeans in Belmont, MA.

Perhaps you could read up on DID and how the personalities for most develop, as said in most, not with other complications, outside of PTSD, dissociative disorder, which is what is mostly dealt with in the DID cases at McLeans.

Good Luck in your work.

Love to hear what you find out.

You can't medicate away DID from what I have been told, but anti-anxiety meds may be helpful.

It doesn't appear to be unusual to figure out something is going on with maybe more than one personality, then once it is confirmed, have a bit of a flood of others who were lurking in the background come forward.

Abifae went through this. Panz described a similar process.

From what others have told me, you are in for a bit of confusion (ok...a lot), but with time, patience, and work with a therapist, it is possible to do well.

There are several other board members who have gone through exactly what you are going through. Hopefully they will stop by and give some input.

if i'm reading you correctly, you're afraid you will suddenly develop a dangerous personality, right? that doesn't happen...if you have someone like that in part of your system, they are already there. they may come forward, but they would have always been there (at least in like 99% of the cases, you probably should ask Abi about this--i'm not totally certain, but i've never heard of anyone 'turning into' a dangerous person).

but no, you won't suddenly turn into a mass murderer just because you've been diagnosed with DID, anymore than someone with schiz or bp or depression turns into a murderer just on account of having an MI.

wifezilla and reddog are right. it usually starts out where a couple of people start coming out/getting noticed, and then more people as they figure out it's alright to do so. you aren't developing more people in there, they've been there all along. and if they haven't done anything horrible or dangerous in the past, they probably won't start now.

i know all this is confusing and distressing and very very hard. i know this is the last thing you probably wanna hear, but have patience (and an open mind). this is your internal family. they really aren't strangers, you just haven't been properly introduced. and they've probably carried you through some shit you'd thank them for later, if only you could remember it hehe ;)

meds are for the secondary symtoms like depression and anxiety (and that's pretty common in multiples, especially in those first few years of discovery where it seems like the whole world is turning upside down). meds won't make the others go away. they can make it harder for you to hear them though (antipsychotics make communication harder for us).

keep hangin out, and ask all the questions you need to. you really will be okay, but i understand how frightening this can be.

*nods wisely* what lysergia said. "this is your internal family. they really aren't strangers, you just haven't been properly introduced. and they've probably carried you through some shit you'd thank them for later, if only you could remember it hehe "

this is a great place to come in befuddled states, however, so keep posting ;)

abi

Are you ever yourself?

This is a question that even certifiably sane philosophers can't answer. All any of us can know is that we aren't

quite the person we were yesterday and perhaps tomorrow there will be someone better to be.

Do you go to school or have a job while having DID?

Some people here do, while others have a lot of difficulty with jobs or education. My impression is that it's not

so much the DID that makes holding a job or going to school so much more difficult as much as it is any

other mental wackiness that may have hitched along for the ride.

What kind of therapy helps with it? Has therapy helped you any?

It may not be the specific brand of therapy that's important, but what works for you.

If it were me, my priorities would be

- working out ways to carry on carrying on for now

- building a rapport with others in my system

- building up the strength to identify and face whatever knocked me for a loop way back when

- opening the doors that need to be opened while leaving others shut for now

Some therapies will work for some goals, and others for others. There's always the complication that some

therapies don't go well at all with certain co-occuring mental illnesses ... so much for cookie-cutter solutions

working for cookie-cutter people.

Actually, that's not much different from any other long-term problem: get through the day, find out what's

available to work with, and try to move forward without jumping off a cliff.

Archived