CrazyBoards.org

is this Lamictal titration schedule too fast?

What pdoc wants me to do: One week at 75, then up to 100 for one week, then up to 150. It just seems kind of random that he would pick 150 as the end dose. I'm taking it for unipolar depression and I think lower doses can be effective. It already has made a small improvement at 50mg. I guess I am a little uneasy with how aggressive his treatment approach is. Of course I didn't think to talk to him about his rationale as he gives me the med changes at the very end of the session.

Here is the PI sheet dosing schedule for Bipolar I. Note that the effective dosage is considered to be 100 - 200mg but that dosages as high as 400mg may be required. (We've even had a CB member who was taking 500mg). Note that slower is always better with Lamictal both for reducing side effects, and for minimizing the chances of getting the SJS (Stevens Johnson Syndrome) rash. a.m.

For Patients Not Taking Carbamazepine (or Other Enzyme Inducing Drugs

Mmmm. I was supposed to go 25-50-100-200. The pdoc couldn't decide between 7 and 10 days per dose, and settled on 7 days. Having read stuff here, I added a 150mg step. No problems with it, but I seem to be lucky with side effects (except prozac which killed my libido and functioning in days, oh, and drove me batshit, but that's another story).

i don't know if this is really helpful or not, but i judt thought that i would put my experience in here... granted, my pdoc isn't the sharpest tool in the shed...

i keep reading about people's experience's here and what one is supposed to do when first going onto lamictal, but my doc didn't really waste any time in getting me to the target 200mg dose. I do not remember the exact time period, but, if i remember correctly, he had me go straight to 100mg and then to 200mg in a pretty short period of time. I got hardcore headaches and shit, but I apparently survived... I'm not at all saying that it is the way to go... no no no, but... well... yeah... i don;t know. i guess i just thought that i would put my experience in here. i guess it was kind of pointless... carry on... as you were...

Oh, I'm sorry-- I realize now that I wasn't clear enough. I have spent five weeks on it, 2 on 25, 2 on 50, and one on 75, and now I'm up to 100. It looks like he wasn't being so aggressive after all, thanks AM. I haven't been experiencing much in the way of side effects either. I get these weird brief but intense bursts of anxiety, and became very constipated, but my pdoc thinks the latter side effect is from Cymbalta.

Archived