CrazyBoards.org

Or... Compliments to the chef.

When I got dx with bipolar earlier this year I didn't believe it and thought I could control it. I still hold on to these ideas despite chilling evidence to the contrary. I started the godawful Lamictal and stopped after one too many public outbursts screaming and crying hysterically for some inadequate reason or another.

My parents went bankrupt and got divorced last year and I went through two illegal evictions, adulterous affairs and micro-managed a double drug addiction to marijuana (am i allowed to say this here?) and amphetamines (first coke then adderall). Anyways, after all that... whats the thanks I get? A MENTAL ILLNESS? WTF.

I think I caught it. One of my best friends is bipolar, my boyfriend is bipolar--its contagious!!! Ew gross. Get it out! Get it out! FIX IT!!! help...

argh.

Wondering... do other bipolars (that means YOU) seek bipolars out?

What an annoying "illness" to "treat" ;)

I got a new rx of prozac. I don't even want to take it. I'd rather be depressed... Anyone have luck with it? I got manic just looking at it!!

Hi and welcome! I do seek out other bipolars, but only online (I don't know how to find them in real life; I did go to a mood disorders support group once but it wasn't very helpful). But it's extremely common for people to sort themselves out like that, not just for MI but for culture, looks, etc.

Your pdoc is putting you on an antidepressant without a mood stabilizer? That often turns out poorly. Are you in a situation where you can ask them about it?

I read somewhere here that seroquel in higher doses has a more stimulating effect. I take it to sleep but I think its making me more depressed. Not sleeping tends to feel better anyways. Relaxing is so dumb and useless.

I honestly don't know what the hell I am. Going to the pdoc was a pragmatic decision after startling bouts of random crying on the subway for no goddamn reason. Anyways, I settled for a pnurse and after a quick chat she said I was bipolar (though I still may argue that I have just appropriate emotional responses to fcked up life events).

We tried lamictal which made me unbearably hyper/racing thoughts/ obessessions/ fears/ anxiety/ punching walls/ screaming/ crying/ throwing chairs at loved ones--all at like, a measly 50 mg. Titrating up to 100 made my depression absolutely devilsh, so I slowly tapered off and have felt a bit more normal since. I hate lamictal! I am confused and depressed and frustrated.

Shame on me for trying to BUY hope for the future. I just took 5mg Adderall and 10mg Prozac today so... I don't know. I just hate the sound of Prozac...

Prozac. Ugh. Great.

I live in a major city, so maybe I should just find a better doc ?

It seemed that this would just be simple. I thought to myself, "Yeah. No one should have to live like this..."

Only to induce more uncertain hell.

It should be simple. "I'm sick - take a pill - be better" not "I'm sick - take a pill, it doesn't work, take a pill, it works too well, take a pill, I can't have sex, take three pills, I pass out...." One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small...

Does Zoloft, effexor, cymbalta, lexapro or wellbutrin sound any better than prozac? 'Cause there are many more options. Seroquel at 25mg knocked my shit out, a good thing at the time. Abilify is better for me now because it controls hypomania w/o making me the living dead. Lots of people are on higher doses of seroquel and do well. See AP board below. Learn about what meds do what. And get a real doc. Not that I am against pnurses, but yeah, I guess I am.

Hitting close to home with the "Buying hope for future" comment. Can a pill make the world suck less? If so I haven't found it yet.

Anyway. Welcome.

Hi

Also welcome! I know being diagnosed sucks and is very confusing. I know the feeling of wanting to just totally reject it. And hollering WHY?

I have a couple thoughts about the meds that may be kind of unpopular and if you or others think I'm way off, please don't freak out on me. I'm just throwing out thoughts because I care. I'm no doctor. My final advice is, and always is...see a doctor. See a doctor. Especially when symptoms are severe as they seem to be in your case.

Anyway. You said you were diagnosed earlier this year. That's not long ago. You've already gone through some meds...Lamictal...Seroquel...on to Prozac. But since you've only been diagnosed for a matter of months, you couldn't have been titrating or going up on any meds--or staying on any meds--for any real length of time.

I think the rule in bipolar disorder management is time. Which sucks. But it's true. It's just not possible, in general, to say that the meds are necessarily causing all the symptoms when you're in the midst of your episode. Has anyone considered the possiblity of this being a mixed episode? Treatment can be tough and can just take time and a trial and error approach. I guess I'm just saying it's not always the drug *causing* the symptoms...sometimes it's that it hasn't had a chance to work yet and you're still suffering symptoms.

Seroquel, by the by, is not known to be stimulating at higher doses. Quite the opposite. And it is approved for mood stabilization in bipolar disorder. It's not for everyone. No drug is for everyone. It's always a matter of trial and error. But throwing out a drug after a matter of days, weeks, especially during the titration schedule is not usually helpful. Unless of course you're having a horrible reaction that is clearly from the drug or an allergic reaction.

And a practitioner giving out an antidepressant without a concurrent mood stabilizer to a bipolar should be questioned. I went completely manic on Paxil and a second doctor tried to remedy the situation by putting me on Lexapro. It's how I came to be diagnosed. Be super careful.

Sorry to be so longwinded. I sure hope you're okay.

Sallie

I am another unlucky soul who got prescribed an AD without a mood stabilizer and went nuts. I was misdiagnosed at that time with just plain depression. I don't believe seroquel has mood stabilization properties at the dose you're on. I would ask pnurse her reasons for the tiny dose. Also, drugs can mimic symptoms of BP also. Cocaine highs can be like mania. It can take some time to sort things out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am another unlucky soul who got prescribed an AD without a mood stabilizer and went nuts. I was misdiagnosed at that time with just plain depression. I don't believe seroquel has mood stabilization properties at the dose you're on. I would ask pnurse her reasons for the tiny dose. Also, drugs can mimic symptoms of BP also. Cocaine highs can be like mania. It can take some time to sort things out.

Yeah, I think good ole' adderall just kept me up for days, and that I've been masking depression with it for a few years now. I used cocaine (to do homework!) and then got the adderrall and now I don't really like either of those things at all anymore. I am only 23, so it will take another few years of dialogue to nail down a diagnoses. So far the Prozac is so-so. Not crying uncontrollably in public EVERY SINGLE DAY. All this stuff is so damn tricky, especially when you mess around with drugs that aren't legal on top of it all. Which, I'm trying to just knock it off! but the evil weed calms my shaky kneeeeez...

sigh.

Do I seek other bipolars? That's an interesting chicken-egg question for me. Before I was "bipolar," the majority of my close friends were, or became bipolar. Now that I'm older and have the diagnosis, those friends are dead or on methadone and I surround myself with normies. It was necessary for my survival; I got the job, the girl, the "life" and I feel like I'm living a lie and only feel truly comfortable with BP/junkies...there's something sincere, selfless, egoless in us, I mean aren't the normies all just playing a game; now I am too. But we do it for the same reason, to live the best we can..urghh.

Prozac? I'm the wrong person to ask. It might as likely make you well as manic. I'm a ride-taker and curiosity trumps sensibility for me.

Anyways, good luck. If adderall didn't make you manic maybe you can tolerate prozac

Archived