CrazyBoards.org

Should I switch from Zyprexa to Seroquel?

I've recently been put on Zyprexa 5mg mainly for anxiety but also for depression and insomnia. I am less anxious and depressed and sleeping slightly better but still having a fair bit of trouble falling asleep at night and then waking up in the morning. Should I ask doc to switch me to Seroquel (I heard it was more sedating) or raise Zyprexa? Or should I just keep waiting for Zyprexa to start working? I've only been on it a few weeks. I guess another option is asking for sleep meds (Ambien, Imovane or something?) but as my insomnia is chronic my doctor probably won't wanna give me anything thats' habit forming.. Advice please! =)

Not medical advice, but why switch to Seroquel when Zyprexa is doing the trick for you? I would be more inclined to stick with Zyprexa and add a hypnotic like Ambien. I was on Ambien for about 6 months and didn't find it addictive, granted I didn't have to take it nightly. It lost efficacy after I started abusing it and now I'm on Imovane.

I was Rx'ed Zyprexa as a mood-stabliser. I started at 5mg and upped it to 10mg. Initially it was great. It markedly improved my moods and, when I took it at night, enforced a proper sleep cycle. But I'm not taking it now, for two reasons, 1) it is fucking expensive, and 2) it made me not give a fuck about anything. I only take it now prn for anxiety and agitation - for which it is really quite effective (not as effective/fast as klono though).

My pdoc says sleep would get easier once your moods stablise; and I think he's right. Even though I now have a script for Imovane I've only been needing it sparingly, as I could usually fall asleep within an hour.

Is this same doc that gave you Valium? I don't see why he won't give you ambien if he'll give you valium. I'm on Remeron 30mg too and it's the magic bullet for my depression, although it didn't make me sleep.

Good luck! Let us know how you go.

Not medical advice, but why switch to Seroquel when Zyprexa is doing the trick for you? I would be more inclined to stick with Zyprexa and add a hypnotic like Ambien. I was on Ambien for about 6 months and didn't find it addictive, granted I didn't have to take it nightly. It lost efficacy after I started abusing it and now I'm on Imovane.

I was Rx'ed Zyprexa as a mood-stabliser. I started at 5mg and upped it to 10mg. Initially it was great. It markedly improved my moods and, when I took it at night, enforced a proper sleep cycle. But I'm not taking it now, for two reasons, 1) it is fucking expensive, and 2) it made me not give a fuck about anything. I only take it now prn for anxiety and agitation - for which it is really quite effective (not as effective/fast as klono though).

My pdoc says sleep would get easier once your moods stablise; and I think he's right. Even though I now have a script for Imovane I've only been needing it sparingly, as I could usually fall asleep within an hour.

Is this same doc that gave you Valium? I don't see why he won't give you ambien if he'll give you valium. I'm on Remeron 30mg too and it's the magic bullet for my depression, although it didn't make me sleep.

Good luck! Let us know how you go.

Thanks for your reply. No it's a different doctor than the one who RXed Valium. The other doc prescribed it because I wanted it for situational anxiety which would pass after a couple of weeks. The new doc refused to give Valium and I'm guessing he'll refuse to give me Ambien or Imovane or anything addictive. I could ask to go back on Remeron which was great for my insomnia and anxiety but made me gain weight same as Zyprexa.

On a comparative note, seroquel isnt as strong as zyprexa, even at higher doses. It is also less likely to cause weight issues. 90% of people gain significant weight on zyprexa whereas only 25% do on seroquel (I was one of the 25% though).

You could look at other options like risperdal or abilify if weight is a major concern. If not, then sticking with the zyprexa might be the trick.

seroquel worked on my depression a lot better than zyprexa.

I'm cutting my Zyprexa down to 2.5mg at night and adding Lexapro 10mg so I'll see how that goes. Hopefully at 2.5mg of Zyprexa my appetite will go back to normal. I'm guessing my anxiety and insomnia will worsen now though =[ Frankly I think Zyprexa has been more trouble than it's worth but maybe Lexapro+Zyprexa=depression+anxiety relief? That would be nice. I'll see how it goes anyway.

On a comparative note, seroquel isnt as strong as zyprexa, even at higher doses. It is also less likely to cause weight issues. 90% of people gain significant weight on zyprexa whereas only 25% do on seroquel (I was one of the 25% though).

You could look at other options like risperdal or abilify if weight is a major concern. If not, then sticking with the zyprexa might be the trick.

Is Abilify effective for anxiety? I heard it was a stimulating AAP rather than a sedating one.

i'm thinking....

don't go with abilify for sleeping. for me it is sleep neutral, but a lot of people feel it is activating.

my PERSONAL IMO is that atypicals are VERY strong drugs and should be used much less than they are. every time you have a headache these days, the pdoc writes a script for an AAP. why use zyprexa, with such a risk of weight gain and diabetes, or seroquel, which carries the same risks only a bit less, when you can do other things?:

how about sleep hygiene? no caffeine after a certain hour, and limit what you drink during the day. get up and go to bed faithfully at the same time every day and night. if you can't sleep, get out of bed and go read on the couch, so your brain won't associate bed with insomnia. i'm not the expert in this subject, but there are a lot of internet resources for it. heck, even a little benedryl could help.

exercise during the day, or take a nice stroll a couple of hours before you go to bed. no exercise 2 hrs before bed. take nice baths. get into a ritual/routine that you always do that triggers "sleep" in your brain. i always take my klonopin, take my bath, brush my hair, and go to bed. it is just my little routine and it triggers sleep for me.

i'd go natural. i'm all about drugs and pharmacy, but sometimes, like for this, the way to go may be just to perfect your sleep hygiene. get on a schedule and get into routines.

Loon, I get what your saying but for three years I have done sleep hygeine to death. I have done antihistamines to death, I'm tolerent to them, they don't work for me anymore.

Even on Zyprexa I can't sleep. I was put on this for anxiety. The doctor could see I was anxious because I said I couldn't breathe and I was shaking. I asked for Valium but he gave me Zyprexa.

I have gained weight and I can't get out of bed in the morning anymore. I'm not quite so anxious but you're right. It's not worth it. I'm gonna ask to go off it at the next appointment.

Who knows maybe Lexapro will relieve my anxiety? I've been feeling pretty good since being on it. I am gonna just ask for Ambien or something cuz I've missed so much school over the past three years due to this insomnia and at the moment I'm not going at all.

I'll keep doing the sleep hygeine stuff but I don't have much faith in it anymore.

Why the hell did you go to Zyprexa for sleep, anxiety, and depression, given your limited med history? Zyprexa is a medication of last resort. Your doctor is an idiot. How about trazodone, benzos, prescription sleep aids? If your doctor is benzo-phobic then get another one. GPs are usually less afraid of prescribing benzos than psychiatrists are. I recommend trazodone for sleep. It's a cheap-ass old antidepressant that is incredibly sedating and non-habit forming. And oh yeah...Lexapro is killer for anxiety. Good luck.

Abilify causes anxiety in 25% of people taking it. SSRIs are supposed to help with GAD and social anxiety. Although it didn't work for me, I agree trazodone is a good choice for sleep.. So is amitriptyline in my personal opinion, although they are older ADs the dose you need for sleep is much lower than the high doses that is recommended for depression. I have only taken zyprexa to stop mania right away. Then I go off of it after a week or two because the risks involved in long term use. Benzos are addictive, but like one of my pdocs said if it works on disabling anxiety who the hell cares. Maybe you could talk about taking something prn and not every day. APs are useful, but if no manic behavior is present, I don't see why you'd need such a harsh med. Just my opinions, of course.

I've recently been put on Zyprexa 5mg mainly for anxiety but also for depression and insomnia. I am less anxious and depressed and sleeping slightly better but still having a fair bit of trouble falling asleep at night and then waking up in the morning. Should I ask doc to switch me to Seroquel (I heard it was more sedating) or raise Zyprexa? Or should I just keep waiting for Zyprexa to start working? I've only been on it a few weeks. I guess another option is asking for sleep meds (Ambien, Imovane or something?) but as my insomnia is chronic my doctor probably won't wanna give me anything thats' habit forming.. Advice please! =)

Seroquel is more sedating immediately after you take it but it's less sedating the next day. That's what I found, anyway. Still plan on sleeping a good ten hours or so.

Given the long term health risks associated with zyprexa, I'd definitely consider pretty much anything else. If you had treatment resistant bipolar or schizophrenia and zyprexa was the only medication that helped, that would be another matter. As it is, there are dozens of medications that might work just as well without the risks.

Why the hell did you go to Zyprexa for sleep, anxiety, and depression, given your limited med history? Zyprexa is a medication of last resort. Your doctor is an idiot. How about trazodone, benzos, prescription sleep aids? If your doctor is benzo-phobic then get another one. GPs are usually less afraid of prescribing benzos than psychiatrists are. I recommend trazodone for sleep. It's a cheap-ass old antidepressant that is incredibly sedating and non-habit forming. And oh yeah...Lexapro is killer for anxiety. Good luck.

Well I went to the doctor complaining about anxiety (I wanted Valium) and he put me on Zyprexa. He said it should help me sleep and feel less depressed too. I am regretting taking it because of some weight gain. I'm not quite sure if my doctor is benzo-phobic I am gonna ask to go off Zyprexa and be put on a sleep medication and if the anxiety comes back I'll want Valium or another benzo. If he won't prescribe me real sedatives I will go back to my other gp who prescribed Valium in the first place. You're definitly right about gp's being less benzo-phobic than psychiatrists.

Abilify causes anxiety in 25% of people taking it. SSRIs are supposed to help with GAD and social anxiety. Although it didn't work for me, I agree trazodone is a good choice for sleep.. So is amitriptyline in my personal opinion, although they are older ADs the dose you need for sleep is much lower than the high doses that is recommended for depression. I have only taken zyprexa to stop mania right away. Then I go off of it after a week or two because the risks involved in long term use. Benzos are addictive, but like one of my pdocs said if it works on disabling anxiety who the hell cares. Maybe you could talk about taking something prn and not every day. APs are useful, but if no manic behavior is present, I don't see why you'd need such a harsh med. Just my opinions, of course.

I will consider trazodone but not amitriptyline because of the weight gain side effect. I have trouble with grogginess in the mornings so I want something that works fast and wears off before I wake up. I'm thinking of asking doc for Ambien. I think Lexapro is helping with anxiety so I want to see how I go without Zyprexa. If I get real anxious again I'll want benzo's not these fat-making AP's. I think my anxiety is quite disabling because I can't go to school. If I go then I'm shaking with fear all day. And insomnia makes me miss school too so that's disabling. And depression makes me feel like I want to kill myself all the time so also disabling ;)

Seroquel is more sedating immediately after you take it but it's less sedating the next day. That's what I found, anyway. Still plan on sleeping a good ten hours or so.

Given the long term health risks associated with zyprexa, I'd definitely consider pretty much anything else. If you had treatment resistant bipolar or schizophrenia and zyprexa was the only medication that helped, that would be another matter. As it is, there are dozens of medications that might work just as well without the risks.

Bah I don't wanna sleep 10 hours I wanna sleep 8 hours. I wanna go to sleep easily at 11 and wake up easily and feel refreshed at 7. I would pay anything to be able to do that.

Is Abilify effective for anxiety? I heard it was a stimulating AAP rather than a sedating one.

YMMV with all meds.

I take a low dose (5mg) of Abilify for sleep and anxiety and some other issues and I absolutley love it. I personally don't find it at all activating and it knocks me out 90% of the time.

I just wanted to toss my experience in here with all of the other anti-Abilify tales about agitation, etc.

We're all different.

Zyprexa screwed my blood sugar and weight up royally so I try to avoid it.

But if it isn't broken, why fix it.

Bah I don't wanna sleep 10 hours I wanna sleep 8 hours. I wanna go to sleep easily at 11 and wake up easily and feel refreshed at 7. I would pay anything to be able to do that.

It may not work out that way. Anything that is really short acting and wears off after only a couple hours will likely leave you high and dry if you're prone to waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep.

Trazadone is an older AD that is often used as a sleep aid.

How did Remeron work for you?

Hi VE, I really liked Seroquel, it put me to sleep like zonk...then woke up all refresh like a baby.

But I got my dreaded hives like I do to everything even Geodon when they try it for my bad headaches for head trauma, I always end up in ER on Benadryl drip and steroids right about 72 hours of use.

If I could take it for my sleep and night time anxiety issues it would be so my choice.

I am stuck with taking 1mg of Klonopin in the evening then 50mg of Trazodone @ bedtime, not so smooth and not the nice wake up.

And does not help with my night terrors.

I cannot take anything in that family to help with my night terrors or flashbacks.

They all have the samething that I am allergic to.

Goodluck, and sweet dreams.

Aly

It may not work out that way. Anything that is really short acting and wears off after only a couple hours will likely leave you high and dry if you're prone to waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep.

Trazadone is an older AD that is often used as a sleep aid.

How did Remeron work for you?

Remeron put me to sleep but I woke up a lot during the night. I just stopped Zyprexa yesterday I'll see how the sleeping goes and if I can't sleep I'm gonna ask for sleep meds.

YMMV with all meds.

I take a low dose (5mg) of Abilify for sleep and anxiety and some other issues and I absolutley love it. I personally don't find it at all activating and it knocks me out 90% of the time.

I just wanted to toss my experience in here with all of the other anti-Abilify tales about agitation, etc.

We're all different.

Zyprexa screwed my blood sugar and weight up royally so I try to avoid it.

But if it isn't broken, why fix it.

Hmm I think I'll talk to doc about Abilify, considering it's weight neutral. I've gone off Zyprexa (made me gain weight) and I think Seroquel does the same thing so I don't wanna take it. I think Lexapro will be enough for the depression and anxiety for now but I do want to get some Ambien or something before school starts again so I can go back.

Archived