CrazyBoards.org

hello! i just had blood work and it said that my thyroid levels are low. i have to get more done, but wanted to find out first-hand what people have experienced and what problems cleared up.

these are the ones i have that are the same as hypo:

severe fatigue, loss of energy

depression and depressed mood (better right now)

joint and muscle pain, headaches

irregular periods, PMS symptoms

difficulty tolerating cold and lower body temperature

constipation

diminished sex drive

hoarseness

memory loss, fuzzy thinking, difficulty following conversation or train of thought

slowness or slurring of speech

the above ones in bold are the ones where i wanted to find out if anyone had the same problems and they cleared up.

i don't know yet if i have hypothyroidism, but was curious if i was just having bp problems or hypothy ones that will clear up.

it's terrible because i have been having the biggest problem with speech and confusion lately and have been looking for some answers with minimal luck. it is almost as if it would be great to have hypothyroidism if only to clear up these problems. of course i don't want the problem, but if it is the magic bullet than that sounds okay to me. horrible.

thank you for your response!

kathy

Yes, I'm hypothyroid and the med really make a difference. Thyroid problems are subtle, slow to react and can be mistaken for lots of other problems.

A good pdoc should check thyroid on most psych patients when starting treatment, and always before and after starting Lithium treatment. Thereafter, it should be checked annually along with liver functions.

There are 3 or 4 common meds for hypothyroid. They area all easy to take (normally take an hour before meals or 2 -3 hour after) and have no bad taste, and no side effects. They are typically quite small. The one thing to realize is the it may take 4 - 6 weeks before you notice a significant difference in how you feel. Your doc will then do another blood level check, and adjust your dosage as needed. You may have several iterations of this. Docs generally assume that if you aren't complaining everything is fine. So you may want to insist on a 6 month check the first time, or anytime if your tail starts dragging again.

Don't sweat this because it is so easy to treat and makes a big difference in how you feel. In fact it's almost a relief to find you have this because it is fixable and means you aren't lazy or just making up the fatique.

best, a.m.

I have hypothyrodism. I have since 1995. My worst symptom was constipationand horrible fatigue. I started meds for depression in 1991. I could not tell I was more depressed when I found out my thyroid was low. It was just another pill to add. Try not to worry until you know is really is under active.

I'm Hypothyroid as well, I gained a lot of weight between that, Zyprexa, Depakote and Seroquel. I had/have severe bouts of depression, fatigue, Bodily pains dry skin, bad dry skin, temperature control problems, menstral cycle problems, confussion and other annoyances. The pill once you have it up to level, workds pretty well and doesn't seem to have side effects.

Good luck, I hope that you feel better soon

• 3 weeks later...

oooh I'm jumping on the hypothyroid train...

well okay, I've been on it since 1998, age 15 (diagnosed, in any event).

Having it treated gave me a little bit more energy (though not a whole lot). I've had normal T4, FT4, and T3 levels ever since beginning treatment then.

I have the dry skin too, and it's really bad here in the spring (when it's hot and very dry out), and was REALLY bad in the winter up North.

I can't speak for the cold intolerance, except for the fact that my hands and feet tend to go cold and blue at random (when exposed to cool or cold air). Now I have major heat intolerance, but my dose of thyroid med hasn't sent me into hyperthyroidism and the problem's probably due to something else that recently went wrong in my brain.

...and as you said, Kathy, fixing your thyroid levels won't be a cure-all end-all, especially for mental illness. I had depression since 1993 (age 9), and thyroid pills didn't do much in the way of lifting it. But, for many (if not most) hypothyroid people, thyroid hormone replacement therapy does give enough energy to at least lift them to be a lot more functional than they were before.

• 1 year later...

I have hypothyrodism. I have since 1995. My worst symptom was constipationand horrible fatigue. I started meds for depression in 1991. I could not tell I was more depressed when I found out my thyroid was low. It was just another pill to add. Try not to worry until you know is really is under active.

I take 137 mcg of Synthroid but I am so exhausted and fuzzy thinking that I can hardly stand myself. I made an appt with the endocrinologist for tomorrow, so maybe he can do something about this terrible exhaustion/depression/fuzzy thinking that I am going through. My bipolar condition is just plain depression and has been like that for quite awhile now. I feel physically drained.

• 1 month later...

My turn! There seems to be a definite link between hypothyroidism and depression. My sister and I are both on meds for hypo and for depression. She takes synthroid (not sure of the amount). I take Levoxyl (125 mcg), but my pdoc wants to get my records from my GenPhys to see if increasing the Levoxyl might help my AD meds be more effective.

I don't have a thyroid. I had thyroid cancer when i was 12 and have been taking replacement hormone (300 mcg) since then. I am currently very overweight, but haven't been until about 4 years ago. I don't think it has to do w/ my thyroid as much as the many, many psych meds i have been on in the past 7 years. Last time i had my levels checked, the pdoc said the levels of one particular hormone (T4 maybe?) were low, but then my regular doc said they are normal for someone with no thyroid.

Does anyone take Armour for hormone replacement? I would be interested in your experiences.

Archived