CrazyBoards.org

Feeling Blue, Just started Cymbalta after...

I'm new to this site. Here's the lowdown: Recently I've had a series of terrible events happen to me. First, I lost my job (11/04), then a week later I was hit by a car as I crossed the street. I suffered a broken leg, damage to my meniscus and ligaments in my knee, damage to both hips, two herniated disks, damage to my shoulder, and a concussion (I'm still not able to walk unaided and am i a a good amount of pain, but no pain meds--docs won't allow it). About a month later my car was stolen (never recovered) and just two weeks ago my live in girlfriend of three years dumped me. When it rains it pours. Needless to say I am depressed as hell. So being jobless, homeless, and in poor health I went to see a Psychopharmacologist about a month before my ex unloaded me. She started me on 20mg of Cymbalta, then two weeks later upped it 40, and today upped it to 60.

My questions is does this seem like situational depression or or clinical? Its hard for me to say I was on Celexa for a year about 2 years ago when My girlfriend and I broke up for a few months. Is the distinction even important? I feel anxious, nauseous, have diarhea, can't sleep (I'm getting Ambien for that), have trouble eating, etc. Also, has anyone heard anything about blood pressure and Cymbalta?

Obviously I am angry at the world for all that's happened to me, bu the most pressing thing is the girlfriend thing. Does anyone have any insight, words of wisdom, advice, or anything to say? I'd love to hear from anyone. I had to move back home with the folks ( I'm 29) until I get back on my feet, so I'm pretty isolated and would love to hear from others.

Thanks,

nedwin ;)

Dear nedwin:

What a hideous year!  I think your stars were misaligned, to say the least!

I'm on Cymbalta, too and haven't read anything about blood pressure that is a concern.  (I already have high BP, so I would have noticed.)  You can read up on Cymbalta on this site, or go to crazymeds.us and read Jerod's summary of the drug.  People seem to get sweats from it and it makes some people too sleepy, but I love it.  It can also be combined with other drugs to get the best effect.

It is also used to treat pain, so that may be of some help to you with all your injuries.  I no longer have pain from my knee (wrecked from skiing), shoulder (arthritis?) and teeth (just plain bad---filled, capped, crowned and root-canaled).

You may want to go the the "Relationships Suck" board to talk about your ex.  People are very sympathetic here.  There is also a chat room, and you can go to the "Technology Sucks" board to find out how to access chat.

There are lots of people here who have more experience than I do with depression, and I'm sure some of them will respond to you.  You came to the right place, and there are great people here who will do their best to help you.

Good luck,

olga

Nedwin,

Regarding your question about whether the depression is situational or clinical... I think the difference is in your cope with a situation that is depression that delineates situational depression from clinical depression. A bad experience (or two... or three...!) will likely make anyone depressed. But if you're not recovering from it in a reasonable amount of time, that's when it starts crossing the line into clinical.

If the Cymbalta is helping, I wouldn't worry too much about it. And as olga pointed out, it may also help alleviate any pain you are still experiencing from the accident - or at least dull it.

As far as the girlfriend thing goes... all I can say is I feel your pain. It's going to hurt. A lot. I had my heart stomped on like grapes about two years ago. I know it's hard to believe now, but time does heal. Take it one day at a time... or even one hour at a time if you have to. I can't promise that the hurt will ever go away completely, but it does eventually diminish.

Glad you found us,

~Sunshine

Regarding your question about whether the depression is situational or clinical... I think the difference is in your cope with a situation that is depression that delineates situational depression from clinical depression. A bad experience (or two... or three...!) will likely make anyone depressed. But if you're not recovering from it in a reasonable amount of time, that's when it starts crossing the line into clinical.

I agree with Sunshine about distinguishing between situational and clinical.  You lost the job more than 6 months ago.  Since then you have been unemployed.  For major depression you need to have symptoms for atleast 2 weeks.  You also have experienced significant impairment.  All of that said, I don't think it is an important issue.  You aren't happy so you need to take the Cymbalta and Ambien.  Your doctor will talk about your concern after you have been on the medicine for awhile.  Just work on getting better now.  I would be in pathetic shape if I went through all that.

Katie

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry for your problems, I will say a prayer for you.

I am on cymbalta for depression and for a gunshot wound (neuropathy) and it is not working for me.  There is a site  www.norcoworldwide.com  that you can go to and get a consult with a Dr. who after listening to your situation will either decide that you need meds or require you to go get a physical at a local Dr. and then fax the records to them for further analysis.  They prescribe pain meds and that may be a way to go for you.

My questions is does this seem like situational depression or or clinical? Its hard for me to say I was on Celexa for a year about 2 years ago when My girlfriend and I broke up for a few months. Is the distinction even important? I feel anxious, nauseous, have diarhea, can't sleep (I'm getting Ambien for that), have trouble eating, etc. Also, has anyone heard anything about blood pressure and Cymbalta?

The two are the same thing.  When you feel a particular way, in your case really fucking depressed, your brain assumes the physiological state of a really fucking depressed brain.  If you were to take a SPECT or PET scan of the brain of a person who is depressed due to life events and put it next to a scan of someone who is depressed due to genetic factors, they would look pretty much the same.  Mental states and physical brain states are the same thing.

Not only is the distinction not important, there is no such distinction.

Nedwin, I feel for you.  I was you (different situations with the same result--wound up living back with my parents) a year ago.  I had been on the depression-go-round for over 15 years, so I knew I had to get onto something and fast.  And then...wait it out.  It does get better.  I had to go back on prozac because that was all that I could afford without health insurance and the only AD with a generic.  My first accomplishment was getting out of bed and off to work in the morning.  My next was actually doing work instead of whiling away the hours until I could go home and go back to bed.  I had lost everything and now, a year later, I have slowly regained it back.  (Except the boyfriend--but that was a losing situation.  Think about it--would you allow your good friends to kick you to the curb when you are low?  Think not--same goes for a love relationship.)

A year later and now I am in a fabulous job; with a new car and living on my own. It does get better...take it day by day instead of the picture as a whole.  As far as situational vs. clinical...does it matter?  You are depressed and you treat that depression with meds, just as a diabetic takes insulin for his diabetes.  A support group is way important...read Jerrod's take on those.  You might be on meds to get over this bout and get on with your life, or you may need to be on them the rest of your life.  Therapy helps to examine patterns...I always knew something was wrong with me, but now I have a name for it.  And a treatment...

Hang in there!

Archived