CrazyBoards.org

Virginia Tech

I'm looking for more info on the mental health aspect. Do you know where you read/heard about the ADs? I haven't run across that yet.

It amazes me that he was able to shoot as many people as he did without anyone successfully interfering.

Virgina Tech Shooting

"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," school spokesman Larry Hincker said.

Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department, said she did not personally know the gunman. But she said she spoke with Lucinda Roy, the department's director of creative writing, who had Cho in one of her classes and described him as "troubled."

"There was some concern about him," Rude said. "Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it's creative or if they're describing things, if they're imagining things or just how real it might be. But we're all alert to not ignore things like this."

She said Cho was referred to the counseling service, but she said she did not know when, or what the outcome was. Rude refused to release any of his writings or his grades, citing privacy laws.

The Chicago Tribune reported on its Web site that he left a note in his dorm room that included a rambling list of grievances. Citing unidentified sources, the Tribune said he had recently shown troubling signs, including setting a fire in a dorm room and stalking some women.

ABC, citing law enforcement sources, reported that the note, several pages long, explains Cho's actions and says, "You caused me to do this."

Investigators believe Cho at some point had been taking medication for depression, the Tribune reported.

What a tragedy. I feel sad for those who lost their life and even the gunman.

The thing is....and I could shit for saying this...but all humans have the capacity for destruction. We all have aggressive impulses and we all deal with them differently. I throw that out there to remind people that yes, this individual was deeply disturbed, but that given certain circumstances all humans have the ability to kill.

Now, I am by no means justifying his actions. Just trying to have a little compassion for the bad guy.

I'd say that if he was stalking and setting fires ALOT more than just depression was going on. Stalkers typically have a majorly fucked up attachment style and often misperceive events and circumstances.

As an aside...I am from Texas. Back in the 60's a guy went to the University of Texas tower and killed 16 people. Come to find out, he was a normal guy, but had a tumor that had grown to be very large and was pressing against his amygdala, which controls emotions, specifically aggression.

So yeah. Sad stuff.

The shooting was the most terrible thing I have heard of in a long time. One of the things I am thankful for is that I am not angry and violent as some people are. You have to be really f#$^&&* up to do something like that!

My heart goes out to the families of those whose loved ones were killed.

I hope they don't play up the ad/depression angle as that just adds to the stigma of taking psychotropic drugs and

being mentally interesting.

"You caused me to do this."

If I hear about or see one more pic from this prick, I swear I will scream. When you hear how his roomies tried to make friends with him, and knowing that no one was overtly mean to this guy just makes me sick. People DID try to make friends with you, you sick fuck. You were just a bit too fucking delusional to see it. And now you want to be infamous with your little package you sent to NBC?

Fuck you asshole. Don't blame the world for your fucked up view of it.

I know people can be mean to each other, but when you send girls sick emails, and generally exclude yourself from the human race, dont write a bunch of bullshit blaming everyone but yourself.

Fucking loser. We didn't cause shit. You did.

I don't feel anger towards him, although it is understandable. I just feel sorry for the people involved--and for him. It seems like he may have had some weird form of psychotic depression where instead of just having self-abusive thoughts, he also had constant hostile, abusive thoughts toward other people.

Ok, now onto what bothers me about the news coverage. I only watched a few seconds of the Fox News coverage because Fox News is annoying as shit, but in that time they managed to insinuate that because of what was written on his arm he might be a Muslim or connected to Islam. And guess what people think of when they hear that. *rolls eyes*

The other coverage I have watched is CNN, who tend to be too repetitive like most live news coverage but far less hysterical than Fox. One thing that bothered me is that they were calling the shooter a psychopath and a psycho. What bothered me about this is the true meaning of psychopath is connected to antisocial personality disorder, which this person did not appear to have. If he was a true psychopath, he probably wouldn't have had his feelings hurt by other people like he did, because psychopaths could really give a shit about what people think of them.

Other thing was they were having a gun control debate and one person said something like "We need to take guns away from all crazy people." Personally, I could care less about owning a gun, but the implication is the whole "crazy people are likely to be violent" thing.

I don't live in the US but obviously this was world wide news.

I'd like to post something from an editorial in the newspaper that ended with this:

"If there is something we can learn from the distressing events in Virginia, it is that we should all be looking out for each other - not with fear and suspicion but, alert to when life is getting on top of those around us, in a spirit of community."

I wish that looking out for other people worked. People around him had suspicions that he was disturbed and did next to nothing about it, save that one professor that told her boss "Get him the hell out of my class or I'll resign."

There are many psychological reasons people do not step in to help others. One of the main ones is that people assume someone else must be helping the distressed person. Like that woman in New York who was being murdered in front of an apartment complex and the dwellers waited too long to call 911.

I spoke with my pdoc about this last thursday. He said that because of the current privacy laws even if a patient says

they are going to kill themselves or others they can only be held for 48 hrs. I f they stop this behavior they will be released. The most that can be done then is to notify the d.a. who may or may not notify the police. If the police are notified the only thing they can do is to keep an eye on them until they do something to commit a crime. Also privacy

laws prevent the pdoc or other authorities from even notifying the parents of this individual.

This all means that there is basically nothing we can do to stop the "really crazy" people from killing someone

if that is what they want todo.

That is the reality of the situation unless the laws are changed which would require an amenment to the bill of rights

by an act of congress which won't be happening anytime soon!!!!!

I don't feel anger towards him, although it is understandable. I just feel sorry for the people involved--and for him. It seems like he may have had some weird form of psychotic depression where instead of just having self-abusive thoughts, he also had constant hostile, abusive thoughts toward other people.

This isn't in hatred or anger toward you, but... When the fuck are we allowed to be angry toward other people? I mean, someone goes and kills 32 other people and we don't feel anger toward them? Only pity and sorrow? What the fuck?

What is the point where we can truly be mad angry hostile toward someone who commits such horrid acts?

I don't know. Does anyone? What the fucking fuck?!

Anyone?

Mad and hostile only work on the living as the dead just dont care what we think. Now hatred and disgust are more

appropriate in this case. Let's hope that the sick twisted sob is burning in hell!

Why feel sorry for him,why pity him? He had a four year college education at one of the best schools in the country and look what he did with it. He had people that tried to be friends with him and he blew them off. He had a family he could turn to. He just turned awy from all thgat could have helped him and took the lives of 32 innocent people.

I feel pity and sorrow for them for having lost their lives at such a young age. He can rot in hell forever as far as I am concerneed.

God bless Virginia Tech!

Brian

..."If there is something we can learn from the distressing events in Virginia, it is that we should all be looking out for each other - not with fear and suspicion but, alert to when life is getting on top of those around us, in a spirit of community."

If there's anything I've learned from this, it's that I have to start carrying again. I can't look out for anyone unless I can defend myself first, and unfortunately none of those killed were able to either...

This isn't in hatred or anger toward you, but... When the fuck are we allowed to be angry toward other people? I mean, someone goes and kills 32 other people and we don't feel anger toward them? Only pity and sorrow? What the fuck?

What is the point where we can truly be mad angry hostile toward someone who commits such horrid acts?

Anyone?

Are you angry when someone is killed by a wild animal?

Anyone?

I agree, Luna, whatever happened to rightous indignation? Without becoming vigiantes we can still own up to the way we feel about really sick evil people who give us really sick nice people a bad name.lol

Dude. The President of the university was on Meet hte Press or something and said that schools have a right to know when students are mentally ill. THIS IS SCARY. IMO there is nothing the University could legally have done and, unfortunately, rightfully so. There are laws here people. Just because 1 psycho out of the thousands or millions of mentally ill college students goes totally postal, doesn't mean universities should start an MI witch hunt. More importantly was the fact that he showed homicidal or just extremely disturbing tendancies in class and THAT is what the university should have been on top of. Not just because he was mentally ill.

I personally think the family should have been paying more attention to what the heck this guy was doing. Although since he was psychotic and really ill, there is a possibility that the family has some issues themselves.

Are you angry when someone is killed by a wild animal?
Unless the person was doing something really dumb to provoke the animal, yes. You're also comparing apples to oranges here, there are many differences between animals and humans. Plus an animal usually only attacks when provoked, no wait, this guy though he was provoked. Aw hell, I dunno. But it's all fucked up.

Archived