Dumped, depressed and other bad things

I'm new to this site. Here's the lowdown: Recently I've had a series of terrible events happen to me. First, I lost my job (11/04), then a week later I was hit by a car as I crossed the street. I suffered a broken leg, damage to my meniscus and ligaments in my knee, damage to both hips, two herniated disks, damage to my shoulder, and a concussion (I'm still not able to walk unaided and am i a a good amount of pain, but no pain meds--docs won't allow it). About a month later my car was stolen (never recovered) and just two weeks ago my live in girlfriend of three years dumped me. When it rains it pours. Needless to say I am depressed as hell. So being jobless, homeless, and in poor health I went to see a Psychopharmacologist about a month before my ex unloaded me. She started me on 20mg of Cymbalta, then two weeks later upped it 40, and today upped it to 60.

My questions is does this seem like situational depression or or clinical? Its hard for me to say I was on Celexa for a year about 2 years ago when My girlfriend and I broke up for a few months. Is the distinction even important? I feel anxious, nauseous, have diarhea, can't sleep (I'm getting Ambien for that), have trouble eating, etc. Also, has anyone heard anything about blood pressure and Cymbalta?

Obviously I am angry at the world for all that's happened to me, but the most

(de)pressing thing is the girlfriend thing. Does anyone have any insight, words of wisdom, advice, or anything to say? I'd love to hear from anyone. I had to move back home with the folks ( I'm 29) until I get back on my feet, so I'm pretty isolated and would love to hear from others.

Thanks,

nedwin 

Hi nedwin. I'm sorry you have so much crap on your plate, maybe try slipping some to the dog under the table or hiding it in your napkin. ;) I'm know how bad it sucks when the one you love walks, my bf of 7 years left me in the middle of a depression shitstorm. As far as situational or clinical depression, the most important thing is you need some help and you are seeking it. I think you will like it here, we are glad to have you. Hug,hug, hug! SP

nedwin,

My sympathy goes out to you.  To much for anyone to handle and I'd be pissed off too.  I agree with spinach pie, getting help from a pro is needed.  I hope the meds help.  The only advice I can offer is to hold your head high and start over.  Find that job, get a new ride and hang out with mom and dad until you can get out on your own again.  I'm 38 and still at home.

I never had a long relationship w/ a girl but I have felt the pain of losing them and never giving myself a chance to try to start a relationship because my self esteem sucks.(1st date 22 yrs old, a few heart breaks in my 20's, giving up at age 30 but getting into another a year and a 1/2 ago which is my longest relationship to date.)

But, it seems to me she ain't worth it.  A true love and friend wouldn't leave you in a time of need.  Maybe hang out with some old friends or family for support?  And here.  Hope your hurt and depression eases over time.

Take care,

Eric

ps check for cymbalta on crazymeds.com and here

Hey!  I moved home too, I'm 25, because I'm poor and crazy also!  My boyfrined also dumped me while I was in the psych ward for depression.  Ah, when life stomps on your face, it has to have a foot fungus doesn't it?

Sorry to hear everythings sucking big hyena butt for you right now.  It seems to me that you are prone to situational depression, but good god, that's quite the situation.  I believe clinical depression has to be severe and last for at least six weeks, but don't quote me on that.  Check the DSM-V, they are smarter than I.  If you are hitting that mark, than it could be.  It has to do with changes in sleeping and eating patterns, loss of functions in daily living skills, feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness, thoughts or actions of suicide, sometimes agitation, sometimes loss of affect, you can't get out of bed, blah, blah, blah.  You know, that I fucking hate myself, want to stare at the ceiling, and die feeling.

The isolation part sucks the worst, huh?  Is there anywhere for you to go with or without friends just to get out of the house?  Hell, you can come to my house!  Party! 

JBella rubbing hands together in anticipation while mixing margaritas and vacuuming frantically because the OCD doesn't let anyone come into a less than spotless house.  Vrrrrrrooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm.

I think when things go bad it can be tempting for an s.o. to abandon. As it turns out, my ex was thinking of leaving me when I had a nasty back injury and was unemployed. 3 1/2 years later, she did decide to split when I was depressed, unemployed, and my mother had just died several weeks before! She gave me "notice", which was weird, but I may have some idea how you feel. Probably your physical recovery is going to help a lot. Pain really messes with your head, and I'll bet you're not sleeping very well either.  (Hmmm, upon review I see that's right.) Most of the time the herniated disk thing will heal up. Try to move around as much as your docs will let you. This will help with the disks, probably, and with the depression. In my case, for a while I had to walk every two hours just so I could sleep. Keep in mind that with the depression, things look even worse than they are. At age 29, it shouldn't be too tough to find someone else, and maybe they wouldn't  drop you next time the shit hits the fan.  I'm surprised your doc won't let you have pain meds. Why not? Do you have some kind of history with opiates? If they're worried about your trouble with eating and about your nausea, they may have a point. I lost a lot of weight in maybe 3 weeks on painkillers.

I don't know about Cymbalta and blood pressure, but I'd think the pain and inactivity would mess with your system pretty well.

Hoping your healing comes along quickly.

Archived