CrazyBoards.org

Please help! I cannot stop buying office supplies...

My pdoc knows and I think he thought it was kinda funny. He said we'd "keep an eye on it."

I cannot stop buying notebook paper, pens, pencils, crayons, school supplies, printer paper, etc. I have spent over $1000 on this stuff in the past two weeks. (Yes, I have lots of stuff.) How do I make it stop? I get fidgety and can't stop myself from buying something. Do I just stay home until it passes?

i went through almost the same thing. only, i spent 200-300 on office supplies. shopping was very cathargic.

also, i was going through a period where i wanted everything i owned to reflect me. for ex, i own blue paperclips, fushia and blue staples, purple ruler, tons of different post-its, purple pencil sharpener, pale colorful push pins, page markers of all colors, many many notebooks with many different designs, ruled notebook paper that is decorated with light blue bubbles, purple green blue pens, pretty paper holders (clips), crayola markers, pink blue purple yellow highlighters, purple tape dispenser and sooooooo on! (ok, sounds like it could be more than $300!)

basically, anything standard that had personality. i can't stand white notebook paper!

it kinda stopped when i had everything i needed. but, still pick up the occasional notebooks, etc.

do you still have the receipts? are they put away? if not, then put the absolute essentials away and take back the rest. i returned sooo much stuff until i got down to the things i absolutely loved (see above).

hope this helps to know you are not alone! hope the urges pass soon!

kathryn, queen of returns.

I absolutely get high in the stationary dept of the grocery store--and they have NOTHING!! To turn me lose in Staples or Office Depot is to invite the closest I will come to total mania.

I keep 2 baskets beside my sofa with appropriate office supplies in their cubbies, including a full set of scrapbook markers. I will type up and print anything, and the chance to construct a notebook or file for something is absolutely meserizing.

Of course, I have a stack of stuff that now needs to be put into those same files--but if I could just get a new file cabinet, and color-code everything, it would work fine, I am sure.

An empty journal, at Barnes and Noble in leather, will make me absolutely swoon--I have hundreds, none of them full cause I find one I like better before I finish one. And a college book store? I dont care if I never heard of the classes--I want the divided notebooksm, and highlighters, and all that. And gel pens--have to be gel pens.

Its just my addiction--I know it, I get sweaty when back to school time comes--good thing I don't have a credit card or any money. Its totally my weakness so I sympathize.

your in stationary,

china

An empty journal, at Barnes and Noble in leather, will make me absolutely swoon--I have hundreds, none of them full cause I find one I like better before I finish one. And a college book store? I dont care if I never heard of the classes--I want the divided notebooksm, and highlighters, and all that. And gel pens--have to be gel pens.

Gel pens! Gel pens! All hail the Pilot G2!!!

I go through those like popcorn. Should've had Dad buy me another 20-pack from Costco last month.

(my calculus prof hates the fact that I use gel pens on assignments/tests/quizzes, given that they're not erasable... but with my movement disorder, compounded w/autism, they're the only choice to get the assignment done... prof says "fine".)

$1,000 isn't a joke. maybe it is to your pdoc who rakes in the bucks, but i'm assuming that you, like me, don't have that kind of money to just spend on office supplies.

it sounds like some kind of mania to me. do you have other manic symptoms, or just this one?

maybe talk to your pdoc about all your symptoms, if you have any, and maybe look at a short course of zyprexa. the last thing you need is more markers.

Here's the irony--the 2 ads that appear under these posts are for:

1) LIGHT-UP Pens with LOGOS!! (Be still my heart)

2) Meade noteboook supplies (oh, god--)

china

;) I, too, have a major office supply fetish. Offices represent order because they are organized and compartmentalized. To me, office supplies help me feel in control. It's a control issue.

/Freud

Personally, I buy PENS and LOTS of them. I have to have pens everywhere...in the car, in my purse, on the desk, in the kitchen.

Holy Cow! I thought I was the only one with such a weird fetish. I remember the very first time an office depot opened in my hometown. I was giddy with glee! OH, the colors and smells and textures and organizational possibilities!! Jeez louise, I'm getting hyper just thinking about it. The pens and markers and office chairs and desks and labels and legal pads. Even today, when I have to make an order from Staples for work, I just love getting the package and opening it up. I really am crazy -- LOL

Me too!!! I have hundreds of pens, dozens of highlighters, packages of colored pencils and markers, many erases, lead, tape, paper clips, white out, too many folders and portfolios (the plastic kind that don't rip!) of various colors and more notebook paper than I'll ever need. And I need *new* stuff every semester otherwise I can't do my work. No wonder my desk is a mess.

I am concerned that your pdoc thinks you spending a colossal amount of your own money on office supplies is funny, I'm all for a shiny new stapler but manic behaviour is manic behaviour and it needs to be medicated, not watched with faint amusement!

I seriously thought that I was the only person in the world that went crazy buying office supplies. I thought I was the only person that looked forward to "back to school" sales even though I don't have any children in school. My weakness is pencils, wooden pencils not mechanical, and spiral notebooks of all shapes and sizes. I have so many pens, I'll never be able to say, "hold on a minute I can't find a pen". Don't even get me started with sticky-pads.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford all of these supplies, and I agree with karuna, your pdoc should be concerned that your spending money on things you don't need as well.

Archived