CrazyBoards.org

"Official diagnosis" and medication questions?

Guest Guest_Nut_Job_*

Guest Guest_Nut_Job_*

Hi, everyone!

I was officially diagnosed today as 'bipolar-II'.....whatever that means :) !

I was wondering about medications? He gave me effexor, lamictal, wellbutrin and xanax (prn). Anyone taken this combo or these medications before? I have been on antidepressants for a very, very long time but never more than that and xanax.

Also, the p-doc I saw today said that it is possible to cure bipolar-II patients? Thoughts on that? I didn't think it was possible. I thought it was just about managing the symptoms? ;)

I welcome any and all input and thanks for your help :cussing:

Nut_job

*Bipolar II is a form of bipolar where your mania is "only" "hypomania", where technically you're supposed to not suffer any hugely destructive symptoms from the hypomania. Bipolar II by diagnostic criteria has the same level of depression as Bipolar I (BPI is the "classic" bipolar, with full-on mania).

*Most psychiatric illnesses aren't considered fully curable. But most people can be treated reasonably well with medications and psychotherapy. Reasonably meaning that patients can function in society without too much discomfort. Many mood disorders also tend to improve with age (as do most personality disorders).

*I'm now on Lamictal and Cymbalta (a drug similar to Effexor), among a host of other things. Works okay, although I have other (non-psychiatric, largely) issues getting in the way of proper functioning. Before my brain suddenly decided to go AWOL in 10/2005 (I'm not referring to bipolar), I was functioning very well. (Though I wasn't on Lamictal until my brain went AWOL.)

Anyways, Lamictal helped with the Cymbalta to pull me out of a refractory depressive episode in 11/2005 (it's also known as the antidepressant mood stabilizer, and a lot of non-bipolar depressives are being prescribed it).

You can spend a lifetime and all of your waking hours asking and debating and reading and researching all these things--what I call being a "professional crazy person"..But in the end, who cares, and what does it matter?

Do the meds work for you? If you've given them some time, and they don't, tell the doc and tweak them..Do not spend your time with who has taken what with what results, what is your exact diagnosis, can it change, should I try this, or that? Eventually, you will find your self examining every second of every day--"how do I feel?" "Am I up or down?" "do I need this med or that one?" "what does this article say about my diagnosis?" "Has my diagnosis changed?" "Is it right to begin with?"

The bottom line--your brain is wired in a non-"normal way". Wires are crossed, connections don't match. Why knows why or when this happened or if it will fix itself? (chances are it won't)

Spend your time getting your meds to help you live a stable, productive life. You are not like anyone else on the planet. Spend your time being the best you possible. It will take time to find the meds that work best to help you be this person. Nothing else matters till you can function in life--then its time to think about life style changes, maybe, or finding a job with less stress. But one thing at a time.

china--who is now the (uncrowned) Queen of the "DSM is a pile of Shit" school

i'm sorry to say, but if your pdoc is that stupid that he thinks BP2 can be CURED, then you should see another pdoc for sure, because this one needs some antipsychotic meds more than you do. you're NEVER going to be cured, unless some miracle new thing comes out that we've never begun to dream of yet. sorry to be discouraging, but i've lived for 21 years (and i'm 28) with bp1 and it won't go away my friend.

we can medicate, counsel, adjust our lifestyles, make healthier choices, get support from family and friends, and all of that and it will help, but no fairy is going to come down from the sky and cure us. impossible right now.

i'd say talk to your pdoc about if he seriously means CURE or not. do the research yourself, don't rely on us. there is no such thing. if your pdoc doesn't know that, then i would shop for a new one, and trust the meds that one gives you over the meds this current one has given you.

in the meantime, i've never taken that cocktail, but lamictal by itself has saved me from the grave, effexor made me vomit for weeks, wellbutrin is very cool, and xanax is shorter lasting than klonopin but hits faster.

i'd be suspicious of anyone who claimed to me that bp can be cured. that's all i'm saying, not meaning to sound harsh.

Archived