CrazyBoards.org

i am an alcoholic and have just been through a detox program and have not drunk for two weeks.  i used valium to detox - prescribed by drug and alcohol doctor.  my problem now is that the alcohol is gone and my old symptoms have returned - anxiety, agitation, maybe depression (not too sure).  my psycharitrist has prescribed me seroquel 25mgs twice a day but - and here is a problem - i am a hypocondriac about medication since paroxatine sent me crazy and drove me back to the bottle after some time of sobriety.

i am currently taking 5mgs of valium a night to help with insomnia which is common following alochol withdrawal but my doc suggested i replace the valium with the seroquel as it is less addictive and just as good as putting you to sleep and keeping you there. i also am quite to very anxious/agitated during the day.

any advice or opinions - i know no one is a doctor here but i find it sometimes is better to listen to people with real experience.

cheers

chisa

Seroquel rocks my world in the sleeping department and calms all night anxieties.  It is being prescribed off label for anxiety, not that that means much without any studies to back it up, but hey.

I despise all medication, because they give me the world's nastiest "very rare" side effects, but Seroquel's are pretty mild for me: dry mouth, akathisia (tolerable).  And not a bad hangover in the AM.  It does knock you on your ass for the first few times you take it, but the body seems to adjust to it well, according to people on here.

About taking it twice a day, if you are taking it in the AM, don't do anything like DRIVING until you know how you are going to react, because you might fall asleep at the wheel the first few times you take it in the AM.  Some people can't take it in the morning or can only take a really low dose, like 5 mg or 12. 5.

But I like it.  Try not to freak out.  25 mg is a really low dose, but wait to see how you react.  Good luck on the med train!

JBella

Chisa-

Seroquel will put your lights out for a few days but it will gradually lose it's sedative effect. 25 mg. will cure your anxiety for as long as the sedative effect last. I had to work up to 100 mg. to calm my anxiety. I still sleep very well on it.

Each time you titrate to a higher dose you will get the sedative effect all over again which will last a few days then it will pass.

Keep an eye on your anxiety level and ask for a higher dose if the dose you are on doesn't completely work.

I take Seroquel and Klonopin for anxiety. My bet is the doc doesn't want you to take potentially addictive drugs (benzos). Seroquel is non-addictive as you have said.

I was a heavy drinker before the Klonopin. Now I don't even care to drink on the Seroquel.

Good luck

First -- congratulations Chisa on your detox and two weeks sober! That's a great accomplishment.

As for Seroquel, it's quite safe and non-addictive. It should put you to sleep pretty effectively as it's sedating at lower doses. Make sure you don't try to drive or anything like that after you take it until your sure just how fast and how sleepy it's going to make you.

It should also help with the anxiety, though you may need a higher dose to achieve that. I take Seroquel and find it very useful for the 'background' anxiety and stress of life. It's fast-acting enough to use it when you start getting very anxious as well.

Good luck!

Fiona

thanks for the advice guys.  still haven't taken it though - paranoid about what i've read on the patient info leaflet!  still i suppose i shall have to get over that.

does any have an average time for how long it takes to kick in - just so i know when to take it before bed?

and i should also add that i had the shittiest and most depressed night of my life last night. i know i shoud be taking the cipramil (i have had them before) but i can't stand the first two weeks of agitation as i try to get on them.

does any have an average time for how long it takes to kick in - just so i know when to take it before bed?

45 minutes to an hour worked for me. I also found that if I went past that timeframe, I'd get a paradoxical effect.

For me, it was quite obvious when it kicked in.

Ruins

Archived