CrazyBoards.org

Hi.  I'm going to camp July 9 - 16.  On Friday, my psychologist and I are going to set up a crisis plan for me.

Can someone give me some idea of what a crisis plan is and any other relevant information.

Thanks.

Chreers,

Chris

Hmm, a crisis plan?

Probably of list of determined coping skills and resources (e.g. who to contact should you be experiencing a crisis or exacerbation of symptoms, as well as how to contact them).

This is what I have so far (numbers ommitted):

Crisis Plan for WOL Camp

1)  Inform camp counselours and nurse that I have schizophrenia.

2)  Explain what happens to me when the bad stuff shows up, and that I am going to ask for immediate help.  PRN medicine works in about 30 minutes, I will get tired and probably sleep.  After about 3 to 6 hours, I am in a good frame of mind again.  This works very well for me, and it has always been successful for me in the past.

3)  If hallucinations begin or paranoia begins, I will tell someone immediately.  Nurse needs to be informed immediately.

4)  I would prefer to have someone I trust go with me to the nurse's station.

5)  At nurse's station, I will take the PRN medicine already planned.

6)  I will get tired and probably be asleep within 30 minutes.  After about 3 to 6 hours, I will be in a good frame of mind again, and I will be able to return to normal activities.

Make sure counselours look for early warning signs:

1)  Hands covering ears.

2)  Talking to myself.

3)  Sometimes crying.

4)  I become very scared.

Emergency contacts: 

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

Your crisis plan is clear and well thought out.

How are you at sensing your bad stuff before it happens? For instance do you have any calming techniques that you use at these times? If you do, it might be a good reminder to write those down, too.

I hope you have a fabulous time at camp and that your crisis plan stays unneeded in your pocket for your whole trip.

Greeny

I can sense when my paranoia is high or when things are not "right" pretty well.  I also know square breathing.  Combine that with a PRN of ativan and Zyprexa, and I should be good.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Chris ;)

Chris,

What med did you plan to use PRN for emergencies? And why is you pdoc saying he is not going to Rx anything? Is it due to your PRN med of choice, or is he thinking you really don't need it? Does he know that there is a nurse on staff at the camp that would keep and give you the med as needed?

Erika

This is what I have now, I'm open to suggestions:

Crisis Plan for WOL Camp

1)  Inform camp counselours and nurse that I have schizophrenia.

2)  Explain what happens to me when the bad stuff shows up, and that I am going to ask for immediate help.  In the event of a minor crisis I will do something to reduce stimulus until I feel able to rejoin activities.

3)  If hallucinations begin or paranoia begins, I will tell someone immediately.  Nurse needs to be informed immediately.

4)  I would prefer to have someone I trust go with me to the nurse's station.

5)  I will find myself somewhere to go which is calming.

6)  I will get tired and probably be asleep within 30 minutes.  After about 3 to 6 hours, I will be in a good frame of mind again, and I will be able to return to normal activities.

Make sure counselours look for early warning signs:

1)  Hands covering ears.

2)  Talking to myself.

3)  Sometimes crying.

4)  I become very scared.

Emergency contacts: 

Michael  (Father) xxxxxxxxxxx

Angela (Caseworker) xxxxxxxxxx

Doctor  (Psychiatrist) xxxxxxxxx

Cairren (Psychotherapist) xxxxxxxxx

*edited to remove fullnames (last names) for your safety and others

Chris,

What are your current meds? Do they include Ativan and/or Zyprexa ( I am assuming they are not if you are asking for these two PRN).

Does your pdoc really feel you will be able to cope with the social/emotional/stressors at camp after just being out of the hospital for two weeks? Or does he think that camp would be a good idea?

Erika

Chris,

Sounds like the meds must be working. I don't have any way to know what your pdoc is thinking either. Maybe he thinks you can intelligently handle the situation by monitoring your behavior and thoughts, and then follow the plan of action you have written out to share with the folks at camp.

Enough of trying to figure out what the pdoc says. Just have fun at camp and enjoy the vacation.

Erika

I kind of read this thread fast. Maybe this was covered but make sure someone there knows about the schizophrenia before you get there. In other words handing the plan to a nurse when having a psychotic break is the wrong time to have first informed the nurse of the situation. Get  the camps okay as to the plan.

Good luck.

Chris,

Sounds like the meds must be working. I don't have any way to know what your pdoc is thinking either. Maybe he thinks you can intelligently handle the situation by monitoring your behavior and thoughts, and then follow the plan of action you have written out to share with the folks at camp.

Enough of trying to figure out what the pdoc says. Just have fun at camp and enjoy the vacation.

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The meds are finally working. ;)

I hope things go fine, if they don't, I'm only a half hour from home.

To the other poster, when I get to camp, I will be talking to the nurse informing him I have schizophrenia and handing him my plan.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived