CrazyBoards.org

Pdoc doesn't think it's anxiety....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, those traits definitely make me think of anxiety.  It sounds like social phobia to me.  I'm probably not qualified to speak on bipolar, but do you FEEL manic at all when you're doing this worrying?  I'm kind of wary of automatically casting any sort of anxiety as mania.

Guest Guest

I never feel happily manic...no euphoria.  I just have hypomanias that manifest in anger, irritalbility, picking on people close to me, saying unkind things, sometimes screaming.  Then before you know it, I'm worrying about what I've done and said, what a jerk I've been.  Then I start the process of worrying and beating myself up and trying to avoid any stressful situation.  That means mostly just staying at home away from people.

So it's hard to know whether it's the chicken or the egg.

I didn't do this as much when I took lithium, but I had to get off of it for some other medical problems.

I have problems with lots of social situations, worry all the time, play back conversations, compose future conversations and e-mails in my mind, develop various scenarios for things, don't like to go out except with my family.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the exact same problems, what the hell is this really called.  I have talked to friends about this and they don't get it.  Sulu

he he he

Rumination Disorder.

A perfect description for what I do, too. It doesn't necessarily feel like anxiety to me, more like an obsessive working on thoughts that are Bad For Me. The more I try to make them stop the more entrenched they become.

Greeny

he he he

Rumination Disorder.

A perfect description for what I do, too. It doesn't necessarily feel like anxiety to me, more like an obsessive working on thoughts that are Bad For Me. The more I try to make them stop the more entrenched they become.

Greeny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I do the same too.  Maybe one day it will be a category in its own right.  I suppose it all stems from feeling bad about yourself, and the reason you feel bad about your self can vary.  I often have the chicken and the egg thing about my mental illness, am I feeling bad because of the mental illness, or because I have a mental illness?  Then it all blurs and is just yuk no matter the reason.

• 1 month later...

I do exactly what people are describing here!  I replay and make up conversations in my head constantly.  Compulsive ruminations is exactly what it seems like!  I hadn't considered hypomania, i figured it was definitely straight-o OCD...Olivia did you end up finding something that helps you with it?

Can I add my name to the list for this?  I was told (briefly) at an intake that it *could* be a *touch* of OCD - but since I had other, bigger issues at the time (SI and suicidal thoughts) it was pushed under the carpet. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

But reading this thread has me interested again.  How much time I waste planning conversations.  I've even got into fights because, now stay with me, I wasn't able to have a conversation because I hadn't planned it out.  But, I didn't plan the fight that resulted out either...so I was definately SOL. ;)

Has anyone learned any more about this?

I've even got into fights because, now stay with me, I wasn't able to have a conversation because I hadn't planned it out.  But, I didn't plan the fight that resulted out either...so I was definately SOL. ;)

Pacanuck, thank you muchly for my first, out loud giggle of the day.  :)

I have problems with lots of social situations, worry all the time, play back conversations, compose future conversations and e-mails in my mind, develop various scenarios for things, don't like to go out except with my family......

i definitely do this! i always thought of it as a fusion of social phobia, generalized anxiety, OCD, and even PTSD (since i get triggered by mean people). all my "stuff" seems to be based around a bunch of anxiety disorders and my docs don't seem to be too hung up on defining which symptoms are from which disorder. i can say that anxiety therapies and meds are helping.

I have problems with lots of social situations, worry all the time, play back conversations, compose future conversations and e-mails in my mind, develop various scenarios for things, don't like to go out except with my family......

i definitely do this! i always thought of it as a fusion of social phobia, generalized anxiety, OCD, and even PTSD (since i get triggered by mean people). all my "stuff" seems to be based around a bunch of anxiety disorders and my docs don't seem to be too hung up on defining which symptoms are from which disorder. i can say that anxiety therapies and meds are helping.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG - I could of written this post.  I am constantly playing back conversations (and evaluating them over and over) and composing future conversations in my head (different scenarios and such).  One reason I can't sleep at night. 

Lol, it's amazing how common this is!  Sometimes i'll be composing a single conversation or variations of it in my head for DAYS!  It isn't distressing as such, just a waste of brain space!  I wonder what it is, Helge, don't forget to post what your pdoc thinks.  I'm convinced its a form of OCD...i've only just started Zoloft so i'm not sure if that will help it along with my other OCD symptoms, i guess you just have to try.

I've been to see my psychiatrist twice this week, but to no avail. The first time he basically spent the entire session obsessing over my benzo use, and how much he wants me to cut back. I'm only on 3x5mg of Valium per day, so it's not that big a deal. The fact that he still hasn't given me any "tools" to cope with the anxiety and panic attacks confuses me a bit. Does he think that my anxiety has magically disapeared? (This is a bit besides the point of this tread, but I felt like venting a little bit...)

*banging head on desk*

st. helge, may i throw him through the wall for you?

i'm so sorry this guy sounds like an idiot and i just wanted to let you know your vent was heard and understood. and i hope you can find another doc and/or have enough valium and/other other tools. jeez.

you have a great attitude. congratulations on knowing this guy doesn't get it, and noticing that he obsesses too!

sending hugs and some good distracting tv (it sometimes helps me too when i go in circles...)

Yeah, best of luck with it Helge, my pdoc often just says something i say is 'interesting'.  Sounds as though your pdoc may be a bit difficult though.  Keep your chin up...isn't it crazy how many of us here have these same symptoms!  Would love to find out what it is...

Rumination Disorder!!  That is it!!

When will it hit the DSM?

When the constant repeating of negative thoughts becomes too overwhelming I have to yell at myself (in my mind) "Stop It".  Then I force myself to think of something else.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Tdoc says the rumination is a form of vigilance I use to guard against the percieved threat of psychic  harm.  When I was a child, I can remember thinking that if I thought about something enough, perhaps I could influence whether it would (or would not) happen.  Ah, the magical thinking of the young when faced with parents who parented wrong. 

Now I am stuck with this symptom.  And I am not happy about it.  My intellectual understanding of why I do it has not served to affect a change in the behavior of my mind.  Dang.

suzy

• 2 weeks later...

If somebody came to me with these problems I'd probably guess social anxiety, with the possibility of ADHD. 

I'm diagnosed ADHD, social anxiety and depression.  BUT I feel strongly that I simply have ADHD.  Yes, I exhibit depression and social anxiety, but had I not had ADHD since I was a young child I very likely would never have had these problems.  So, yeah, officially you can label me social anxiety and depression, but I wish doctors would quit treating all these issues as if they're completely seperate.  Or, worse, like the one which is least pervasive, in my case the depression, were the only one that needed to be addressed in treatment.  It's the fact that I can barely function in the world that gets me down in the first place... duh!

Um... *cough* OK so, anyway... just pointing out that anxieties like this can be a symptom of another disorder just as well as a disorder in and of themselves.  If I were still wondering about my anxiety symtoms (one of which is this very same obsession re: social interactions) I'd probably ask myself some questions;

WHY are you composing future conversations in your head, and WHY are you running past conversations through your head?  I think answering these questions would provide a good starting point.  When you consider these tendencies of yours objectively, is there any good reason why you're doing it?  If not, then it's probably some sort of obsessive-compulsive thing. 

But if there is a reason, follow it.  What is it that causes you to do this?  Maybe you're afraid you've said the wrong thing or that you will say the wrong thing.  That certainly falls into the anxiety category, so look up anxiety disorders and compare symptoms. 

But first, take the question further.  WHY are you anxious?  Is it self-esteem, low self-confidence?  If so, what is the basis for it?  Maybe upon examination you'll realize there isn't any; you've always been pretty comfortable in social situations, and you haven't always, throughout your life, felt that you had reason to worry about your conversation skills.  So it's probably anxiety.  If, on the other hand, it has a basis in your lifelong social skills, or lack thereof, you might consider looking into more long-running and complicated disorders, like ADHD, bipolar or depression.

Just some thoughts...

Archived