CrazyBoards.org

I have been suffering from depression for quite a few years now, but a few months ago I started to see and hear strange thing, and get worried about strange things.

I see big a white cat and big bugs crawling around the house. I hear strange music and banging and tapping noises, and sometimes peole whispering my name or other things either around me, or in music (on the radio). I also have thoughts about a man who lives in the clouds who controls everything and can hear my thoughts and other peoples thoughts. He can also control some people. He puts voices and pictures in my head telling me to hurt or kill my boyfriend and how I should do it. Some times I go into crazy fits where I don't have control of myself and throw myself about and shout a lot and try to hurt my boyfriend. I feel like someone is taking control of me. I have told all of this to my phyciatrist and my social worker but they don't really seem bother and just think I'm fine. They don't want to give my any medication, even though I have told them that I am really worried that I could seriously hurt my boyfriend, and even advised me not to go to hospital if I am in a situation where I am likely to hurt him!

Whats going on? Surely this isn't normal? Why does my psyciatrist not take me seriously?

You must find a new psychiatrist. You are clearly having psychotic symptoms. One way to get this taken care of, immediately, is to go to the hospital. Trust me, they will admit you. I know that's not what you might want to do but they will treat you, will get you on meds, and you will get better.

Take care~

Guest Guest_fantomchick_*

Thanks for that.

Not sure how good health services are for these kind of problems elsewhere, but here in England they're rubbish. Doctors just don't won't to listen or help you!

If you truely feel like you a danger to your boyfriend, yourself or other people, Id agree that admitting yourself would be the best idea. The hospital would definitely see your psychotic symptoms, and you will treated and documented. If THAT doesnt wake up your counselor or pdoc, its time for a doctor change for a doctor that will take all your symptoms seriously.

it could be possible that your doctors dont take you seriously because you just started having symptoms. if you choose not to change doctors, and choose not to admit yourself, keep telling your doctors about your symptoms. keep on them, dont let them think for a second that you're "over this".

Twitch

In the UK, psychiatrists can be crap. When I first got psychotic, it took about three months before anyone would admit that I was genuinely ill and give me any medication. I agree that hospital can be a good place to go if you feel in danger of hurting yourself or anyone else, and would encourage you to take the chance and go down, though be prepared that you might be referred back to your doctor, that has been my and other people I know's experience. I kept a notebook diary of many of my symptoms (when I could, considering I was batshit crazy) to give to my psychiatrist, which helped them come around to the idea that I was ill. I know it's not really something to be encouraged, but my psychiatrist now, who is a great one, has told me on the sly to have crisis numbers around and call them as often as I can, in order to force mental services around me to give me some attention. It may be that you will have to start calling your psychiatrist/social worker all the time to tell them of the latest developments, or even get your boyfriend to make a 'terrified' phone call because he is worried about you, sometimes medical staff only take us seriously when we kick up a fuss. That is really unfair because you probably aren't in a state to do that. Another thing you could do is find out who your local Mental Health Patient Advice and Liaison Service officer is, and then complain loudly to them about the treatment you are receiving. Or you could even contact your MP. It depends on how much energy you have to expend.

It might be worth contacting Mind in your area, they often have drop in centres, advisors and advocates, as well as resources on psychosis and many other mental illnesses. They also have social groups and events that can be good when you get lonely. Rethink are another mental health organization; Telephone: 0208 974 68 14 (open 10am to 3pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday; 10am to 1pm Tuesday & Thursday) or e-mail: advice@rethink.org, and also SANE;0845 767 8000 (charged at local rates) (They are pleased to announce an extension to SANEline

Archived