CrazyBoards.org

Best med for sleep onset insomnia?

Ambien (zolpidem) has a good reputation for the treatment of sleep-onset insomnia. In a normal person, it's supposed to get out of your system in less than 6 hours, which translates to a relative lack of hangover in the morning. If you're a freak like me, it gets out of your system in less than 30 minutes, but YMWV.

Sonata is another popular med for sleep-onset/not giving a hangover.

Restoril (temazepam) is traditionally used for sleep-maintenance insomnia, which might be why it sucks for you. Do you get a 'hangover' effect from it (tiredness the next morning)?

Halcion is a benzo (read: cheap) that a lot of people find effective for sleep onset problems, but it has a history of very rare but severe adverse psychiatric reactions. I had nightmares and sleep paralysis on it (but I'm narcoleptic, so I'm probably more prone to the sleep paralysis anyways).

I take it by your signature that Remeron didn't work for you. I used to take it as a sleep aid but it became ineffective within a few months, but I found it a rockin' antidepressant adjunct to my Cymbalta, so I'm still on it.

Restoril hasn't given me hangover. It just feels like Valium (calms me down) for about an hour. Remeron kept me sedated constantly, it was no good. I'll talk to doc about Ambien, Halcion and Imovane (zopiclone) we don't have Sonata in Australia. Thanks for the advice.

Archived