CrazyBoards.org

Lamictal works for my unipolar depression

I'd imagine for unipolar people some kind of antidepressant augmentation would be necessary like I'm doing...but antidepressants only took me halfway, and Lamictal has taken me the rest of the way! So if antidepresants alone aren't cutting it...consider asking your pdoc to add Lamictal.

I was on ssri's for a while and they would work temporary but then crap out. I've been on traz for a few years for sleeping. It can work pretty well. Since I've been on Lamictal for a few months now I've had to up the traz to 75mg sometime even 100. Lamictal is very activating for me.

I have only been dx with a mood disorder not bp. What is the definition of unipolar people?

I'd imagine for unipolar people some kind of antidepressant augmentation would be necessary like I'm doing...but antidepressants only took me halfway, and Lamictal has taken me the rest of the way! So if antidepresants alone aren't cutting it...consider asking your pdoc to add Lamictal.

My doc says that lamictal has it's own kind of "lift" in it which acts as an antidepessant. I GUESS! Lamictal is the only thing that got me really up and out and about after a year and a half of increasing depression. (my cycles are a couple of years apart which is classic for my specific garden variety biplorage)- and Lamictal isn't even classified as an anti-depressant. Go figure ;)

Yes, my doc says that Lamictal is a good antidepressant and he has no hesitation using it on unipolar people. Each mood stabilizer has their own strengths, like Lithium as an antimanic and antisuicide drug.

Maceo, the trazodone is wonderful for sleep. Without it, it takes me a really long time to fall asleep and then I wake up in the middle of the night and often can't go back to sleep. With it, I'm knocked out all night.

Bianca, the definition of unipolar people are those with severe episodes of depression but no mania or hypomania.

Yes, my doc says that Lamictal is a good antidepressant and he has no hesitation using it on unipolar people. Each mood stabilizer has their own strengths, like Lithium as an antimanic and antisuicide drug.

Maceo, the trazodone is wonderful for sleep. Without it, it takes me a really long time to fall asleep and then I wake up in the middle of the night and often can't go back to sleep. With it, I'm knocked out all night.

Bianca, the definition of unipolar people are those with severe episodes of depression but no mania or hypomania.

Awesome I am so going to talk to doc about Lamictal and Trazodone. Anti-suicide is just what I need and I need powerful sleep-aid too, Restoril doesn't work.

• 1 month later...

Hello hollywoodfreaks;

Fellow Unipolar peep here on first week of new med (EMSAM PATCH), the last AD on the AD list that i have not tried over & over, in combination, ad nauseum, for treatment of my life long TRMD; Treatment Resistant Major Depression.

Please tell me more about the Lamictal and it's energizing effects. Do you feel motivated to get out and are you more able to work and less reclusive on Lamictal? Have you gained/lost weight? Insomnia...or does trazadone take care of that?

Also need more info about Trazadone. Is it like seroquel? I took Seroquel years ago and remember that it caused daytime tiredness and made be feel all the SSRI side effects, but now that i am getting older my memory fails me so I could be mistaken. Also took it w/ one of the ssri AD's (most likely), or trycylic or MAOI med's, I've been on them all, so...who knows what caused what??? Please refresh my memorey re/ trazadone as it sounds sooo promising.

BTW...Does Lamictal make you stupid or 'lose words' like onther mood stablizers's I have heard about? How long before you saw positive effects & at what dose does it begin to be effective? Can't take anything that causes more sluggishness, slowness, inability to concentrate.

Have lost hope and now trying to find a reason to hang on.

scp

No new's re/ EMSAM yet, except for Insomnia, but have had that all along since childhood every night only.

Archived