CrazyBoards.org

Rediscovering your sense of humor

I've just come out of a major depressive/mixed episode (was hospitalized). Am actually doing quite well - have been quite stable since coming out of the hospital. I'm not really enjoying things yet but I figure that will come with time. But the most frustrating thing is not being able to laugh. I don't seem to be able to find my sense of humor. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? How can I be more lighthearted? How can I laugh again?

doghappy--

I'm not sure how you've lost your sense of humor (i.e., through your disorder or through meds). If it's the meds, you could discuss with your pdoc about changing them.

Unfortunately for me, I've yet to lose my sense of humor. Unfortunately since I tend to make bad and/or tasteless jokes, or alternately, jokes that send people laughing at and not with me.

I have been having a lot of trouble laughing and even smiling sometime lately. I personally think it's symptom related and realized that either it was because I felt alienated OR that I felt alienated because of it.

But it's also hard to recover from depression and can take a while to get back into the swing of things- to remember what it is like to laugh and socialize. If you feel like you are getting better, it may just take time.

it sounds to me like it could either be med related or symptom related. as others have pointed out, some of our meds have a blunting effect, or otherwise stated, they make us feel rather zombie-ish and mentally sluggish, including a blunting of our sense of humor.

then there is the blunting that comes with depression and trying to climb out of it. it could be a lingering effect of that.

i'd talk to your pdoc and see about any blunting that could be caused by the meds, and wait it out. when i'm depressed it is so hard to smile and laugh- i just stare into space and nod when appropriate. when manic, of course, everything is hilarious and i laugh constantly at everything (and like herrfous, people laugh at me and not with me).

good luck about this. i know it is very annoying and makes you miserable.

loon

Hey doghappy.

I'm really big on laughter, and I notice when I don't have a good belly laugh for a couple of days. Going through periods of major depression I go weeks without laughing, so I know, it's awful, especially with meds that can bring you down and flatten you out too much. The best thing I could do for myself during these times was watching DVDs that were funny. It depends on your taste but I'm drawn to dark humour, like the films of todd solondz, or john waters, or I'll watch some Absolutely Fabulous, or stand-up comedy or whatever. I've been doing through some sort of a depression the last month, so I put together a YouTube channel to entertain myself and keep my sense of humour intact. I've uploaded some videos that my friends and I have done, and I go searching through YouTube for funny videos and add them to my favourites, and share it with my friends, who share funny videos with me too. I find it really helpful, and therapeutic even! So I think it's worthwhile looking for what might make you laugh, even if you don't feel like it. If you do that something will come along that will trigger the funny button and you might get a chuckle. Hope you find something to laugh about soon.

Cheers,

Tim

there is such a thing as laughter yoga.

seriously!

http://www.laughteryoga.org/

there apparently is some use to laughing even if there's nothing funny. laughter is contagious. it has physical benefits. the physical act of laughing creates reactions in our bodies. even looking upward and smiling is beneficial.

again, i doubt it will cure depression (like exercise won't) but dammit, it will help.

i have a hard time laughing at what is on tv.

to me, i think it is having a greater sense of reality and truth. just being aware of the fact that this is just another attempt at someone trying to make me laugh and i can see right through it. like you can see the effort behind it. make sense?

hope it comes back soon!

kathryn

CRY.

for real! as soon as I let myself cry (after holding things in for 8 years) the real laughter came right along with it and was a true surprise and joy. I realized I had been fake laughing for a long time too.

Crying=laughing=crying=laughing=feel

and don't think about it, it will come if you don't cognize

Archived