CrazyBoards.org

Hello,

I am new around here, well, been lurking a very long time, but just registered and started posting. I just moved a few months ago, and got in with a new pdoc yesterday. (They got me in very quickly, because I was a basket case.) And, well, there is talk of starting me on an MAOI when I go back to see her next week. She gave me information on the Emsam patch, and wants to try that. But from what I've been reading, Nardil and Parnate are much cheaper, and much more effective. Is this true? Anyone here have really positive results from Emsam? If not, I am desperate to feel better and not have the constant desire to grab the nearest bottles of pills or the nearest knife, and just end this misery right now, and I am willing to try pretty much anything that's left to try at this point. She said the Seroquel should help with my depression, too, (I am Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type, and she says it helps with Bipolar depression as well as psychotic symptoms,) until I see her again next week.

So if it's true that Nardil and Parnate are cheaper and work much better, my question is about the dietary restrictions. I have read of all the things you CAN'T eat, but what CAN you eat? For those of you on an MAOI, can you maybe give me a sample menu of what you can eat in a typical day? You can't eat any cheese? Can you drink milk? If you could tell me what you do eat instead of what you can't eat, that would be really helpful to me, because I'm thinking of asking the new pdoc for Nardil or Parnate instead of Emsam, unless I hear of some really positive results from it here, which I have yet to find.

Also, can you take Tylenol and Advil? Because I need my Tylenol and Advil, man.

Thanks.

T.A.

Hello,

I am new around here, well, been lurking a very long time, but just registered and started posting. I just moved a few months ago, and got in with a new pdoc yesterday. (They got me in very quickly, because I was a basket case.) And, well, there is talk of starting me on an MAOI when I go back to see her next week. She gave me information on the Emsam patch, and wants to try that. But from what I've been reading, Nardil and Parnate are much cheaper, and much more effective. Is this true? Anyone here have really positive results from Emsam? If not, I am desperate to feel better and not have the constant desire to grab the nearest bottles of pills or the nearest knife, and just end this misery right now, and I am willing to try pretty much anything that's left to try at this point. She said the Seroquel should help with my depression, too, (I am Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type, and she says it helps with Bipolar depression as well as psychotic symptoms,) until I see her again next week.

So if it's true that Nardil and Parnate are cheaper and work much better, my question is about the dietary restrictions. I have read of all the things you CAN'T eat, but what CAN you eat? For those of you on an MAOI, can you maybe give me a sample menu of what you can eat in a typical day? You can't eat any cheese? Can you drink milk? If you could tell me what you do eat instead of what you can't eat, that would be really helpful to me, because I'm thinking of asking the new pdoc for Nardil or Parnate instead of Emsam, unless I hear of some really positive results from it here, which I have yet to find.

Also, can you take Tylenol and Advil? Because I need my Tylenol and Advil, man.

Thanks.

T.A.

Hello again, if someone could possibly answer this message before my pdoc appt. Thursday, that would be so helpful.

And what about restaurants? Is there anywhere that you can eat out? Or do you have to ask everywhere you go if they use meat extracts or tenderizers?

Thanks for any help you might have for me here.

Here is a good site to get you started. The mayoclinic has a lot of helpful information.

You can go to restaurants and have a normal life and eat normal food. But you have do have some restrictions that you would need to watch for. Some foods you absolutely can not have and some you can have in limited amounts. You should talk to your doctor about this and how other patients have felt after you have read information on it.

A diet change can be difficult at first, but is possible and much easier after the first few weeks.

This has some good references at the bottom that you can check out.

I hope the info is helpful. I don't have personal experience with them but I dug up what I could. I have found the Mayo Clinic site to be reliable and helpful.

Emsam (selegiline), at the most popular doses (<10mg/day), is not considered diet-restricting since in theory, it doesn't have any activity on the "MAO-A" enzyme, which is considered mostly responsible for the "cheese reaction" (and other tyramine-containing food reactions, as well). Your doctor will determine whether selegiline is safe to take with tyramine-containing foods.

Also, the brand name Emsam refers specifically to the transdermal patch. The brand name (US) Eldepryl is seligiline in shorter-acting tablet form, and lacks flexible dosage (the only possible dosage is 5mgx2 per day = 10mg/day). Also, Eldepryl is not approved in the US for any psychiatric disorder (it's only approved for Parkinson's disease). In the US, (at drugstore.com), one month's supply of Eldepryl 5mg (that's 60 tablets for 10mg/day) costs US$170.

In a similar vein, Emsam, the patch, costs in the US around US$450 for one month's supply (at 9mg/day).

So, check to see if selegiline tablets are available where you are, and talk to your pdoc about them.

Thank you for the replies. I have a pdoc appt. tomorrow morning, so wish me luck. I'm going to discuss all this with her. So we'll see what rx I come away with.

Luna, there was some really good info on those sites, thanks.

If anyone else, (like Fiona, who is the one I think has called herself the "parnate cheerleader",) wants to reply or pm me and give me some words of wisdom about the diet and such, feel free. Thanks again.

Archived