CrazyBoards.org

Hello,

I figure I would put my question about Emsam in a seperate post, so anyone taking it will read this. My question is this. I haven't seen any posts about Emsam in a while, and wonder if anyone is even still taking it any more? Any really positive results from this med? My new pdoc wants to start me on it next week, but I have yet to see a real positive result from someone who was pulled out of really deep depression.

Are there any success stories at all?

Thanks.

T.A.

Okay, pdoc started me on Emsam today. I'm wearing my first patch now, she told me to put one on as soon as I got home. From what I have heard, I don't have high hopes about this working for me, and especially since my depression seems to be resistant to any treatment. Either that, or it makes me switch phase and I become manic. Pdoc won't let me try the older MAOI's (Nardil & Parnate) until I have given Emsam a fair chance. But I am not getting my hopes up about it.

If anyone here is taking Emsam with positive results and can give me just a glimmer of hope about it, I would appreciate it so much. I am desperate at this point for something to work. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Okay, pdoc started me on Emsam today. I'm wearing my first patch now, she told me to put one on as soon as I got home. From what I have heard, I don't have high hopes about this working for me, and especially since my depression seems to be resistant to any treatment. Either that, or it makes me switch phase and I become manic. Pdoc won't let me try the older MAOI's (Nardil & Parnate) until I have given Emsam a fair chance. But I am not getting my hopes up about it.

If anyone here is taking Emsam with positive results and can give me just a glimmer of hope about it, I would appreciate it so much. I am desperate at this point for something to work. Thanks.

Hello ToxicAngel;

I am new to EMSAM (1 week) and wanted to acknowledge your post and see how you are doing on it? I am just stumbling over EMSAM posts here on CrazyBoards (when i do a search for it no posts or topics come up), so sorry I didn't reply to your's a week ago.

If you are still on it or if you stopped it i would like to hear all about your experience. Do you take any other med's with it? S/E's? Are you able to sleep? Anxiety?

Thank you in advance for your reply. I have nothing to report yet except for insomnia, but i have always had that. If EMSAM did work for you how long did it take to see results? Do you have more energy & motivation? What dose are you taking?

Hope this finds you well!

.... From what I have heard, I don't have high hopes about this working for me, and especially since my depression seems to be resistant to any treatment. Either that, or it makes me switch phase and I become manic.

I don't think you should be so negative over this med, or any med in fact. In fact the MAOI's have a pretty good success rate, it's just that most pdoc's shy away from them due to the complexity of diet management.

You have a very low chance of experience a manic switch due to Emsam, as the reported rate is about 1 in 1,000 users.

Hang in there, we're pulling for you. ;)

a.m.

I had fairly good AD results with selegiline (the active ingredient in the Emsam patch) even at a low dose. I may not have felt shiny-happy-person great but pretty decent all around.

I had fairly good AD results with selegiline (the active ingredient in the Emsam patch) even at a low dose. I may not have felt shiny-happy-person great but pretty decent all around.

Good to know. Is there a reason you stopped taking it null0trooper? Hopefully it's b/c you aren't depressed anymore? YEAH!!! However...since I don't hear that very often, perhaps it's b/c you found a med that helps you even more than selegiline??? If so, please share.

BTWDo you think you may have gotten even more benefit out of selegiline if you had upped the low dose you took?

Thank's; scp

Good to know. Is there a reason you stopped taking it null0trooper?

*sigh*

I am usually the person that you do NOT want to ask why I don't take the meds I've had to d/c

Hopefully it's b/c you aren't depressed anymore? YEAH!!! However...since I don't hear that very often, perhaps it's b/c you found a med that helps you even more than selegiline??? If so, please share.

1. I didn't leave well enough alone. As a consequence,

2. I finally went to a psychiatrist, and started on Wellbutrin. That medication helped immensely, for the time I could tolerate it.

BTW Do you think you may have gotten even more benefit out of selegiline if you had upped the low dose you took?

Maybe? Maybe not, as *I* really do need a stimulant in the mix to function as well as I do. I don't picture my doctor being enthusiastic about a selegiline-adderall combination ;) At the dosages where MAO-A inhibition kicks in, I would get worse - Parnate is also on my "let's not do that again list". therwise, selegiline hits exactly the systems that I need an AD to hit.

While that's faint praise for the medication, keep in mind that my diagnosis is MDD + ADD. I'm fairly sure the depression qualifies as "treatment-resistant" on top of that ... and this stuff still made a difference.

Thank you for answering the difficult question's that make you "sigh" first.

I too need something acctivating.

Did Wellbutrin XL make you irritable & mean? It did that to me as I took it w/o an anti-anxiety med The WBSR was a little better, but still would need an anti-anxiety med. Why couldn't tolerate WB?

Is MDD Major Depressive Disorder? BTW...Ever try Lamictal? My Dr want's to add that to the Emsam I'm on in a week or so?

What do you think?

Thank's, scp

Did Wellbutrin XL make you irritable & mean?

Yep. For a whole two hours. Not that my fellow South Florida drivers on a typical morning commute would not deserve my righteous rage, but there could have been irritating consequences. The third hour I was on it, came close to faceplanting my keyboard.

It did that to me as I took it w/o an anti-anxiety med The WBSR was a little better, but still would need an anti-anxiety med. Why couldn't tolerate WB?

1. One of Wellutrin's potential side effects is "somnolence" "Next-best thing to narcolepsy" is how I would describe it. In order to take it in the morning I had to add a stimulant and caffeine, otherwise I was quite capable of falling asleep anywhere.

2. I didn't pay much attention to the olfactory hallucinations until I got more blatant indications that I'm one of that lucky 1 in 1,000 who should never ever take Wellbutrin. There's no guarantee that the next one would not have been a general seizure.

Is MDD Major Depressive Disorder?

Yep.

BTW...Ever try Lamictal?

No, although I wouldn't necessarily refuse Topomax.

My Dr want's to add that to the Emsam I'm on in a week or so?

What do you think?

Thank's, scp

It might help, as there are indications of an antidepressant effect with Lamictal.

Archived